“A perfect short break”

The Rising Sun Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Lynmouth
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We have just returned home having stayed at the Rising Sun for the weekend. I know the weather helps (it was great) but everything about the pub/hotel/restaurant was 'on the money'. Friendly and efficient staff, whether they were locals or from Spain/Hungary/etc.
Nice room with harbour/sea view, good ensuite, quality bedding and very clean.
Breakfast was first class, I had fresh fruit, and fresh smoked Haddock with poached eggs both mornings.
It's also renowned as being the best restaurant in Lynmouth and we were not disappointed.
We're planning another break there in the Autumn.

Room Tip: Ring beforehand and see what rooms are available. Obviously the rooms at the front have the best vie...
3  Thank oldrunnerExeter

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We have eaten here before & were not disappointed by this return visit. We chose to eat in the bar so as you can't book we had a short wait but this is to be expected when the food is so good. We selected three dishes for a seafood feast of local crab,mussels & prawns which we shared with wonderful crusty bread & salad to accompany it. Heavenly the food here really is superb. The staff are very helpful & friendly and the general atmosphere is comfortable & relaxed. There is a good selection of ales & cider available only criticism no cucumber to go with the Hendricks gin.
This is the first time we have stayed here & our room was very comfortable with all amenities on hand. The decor is beautiful & the room was fresh & clean. The view across the harbour & beach from our window was well worth the extra for a sea view room. The narrow stairs & winding corridors are very quirky & if you can find it there is a lovely garden at the rear. All in all a wonderful stay & we would highly recommend it. We will return to stay again in the autumn.

Room Tip: Any room with a sea view
1  Thank Lesley G
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Last minute booking due to being let down by another hotel, staff were really welcoming and upgraded our room to a seaview as we were on our honeymoon. Can't fault a thing; room was small, as you would expect from a property of this age, but absolutely spotless and well-equipped. Amazing view over the harbour both from our room and the restaurant. Amazing food. Can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a seaview room as harbour is lovely.
1  Thank Linda -
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Popped into this hotel's bar for a bite to eat. My wife had a lovely prawn sandwich and I had the mussels in cider & cream with smoked bacon. The mussels were probably the best I've ever had and, even though I'd only order the "starter" it was a really big dish (over 20 mussels!). Staff were friendly and service was very fast. We'll definitely be going back!

1  Thank Pete K
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We were welcomed with very polite and friendly staff before actually checking in into our room. 2 hours later when we decided to check in the staff were still lovely.. The room was slightly small but very clean and well decorated along with a beautiful sea view. Breakfast was very generous. Started with cereals followed by a good selection of cooked after.From full English to salmon and scrambled eggs.(all inclusive). Breathing taking walks and scenery. Delightful sound of the birds singing in the evening and morning. Looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Doidge09
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We took a table in the evening unbooked in May on a Tuesday.The restaurant was busy at 7.30 and we had the last table although there were tables for food available in the bar. Welcoming chatty young staff, good small menu specialising in fish, quite pricey for the area.I had excellent chicken livers on toast spoiled by being served on a cold plate so making the whole dish Luke warm. My main was piping hot cod and chips, not exactly rocket science but very fresh and tasty.Unfortunately, I had an unidentified object in my mushy peas which I was told was a large mushy pea.I don't think so! No apology, just a verbal shrug really.My husband had excellent mussels but fared less well with his lemon sole.It was barely cooked and again luke warm because it was served on a cold plate.Not good for £17.This meal could have been very good with just a little attention to detail.It was not bad enough to make a fuss but overall disappointing for £60 for 2 courses, one glass of wine and a beer.

Room Tip: Did not stay, just ate there, toilets were very up market which is always a good sign in a pub.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sanwat
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I have eaten here several times over the past six months and the food seems to get better and better! It's a really nice old pub overlooking the sea at Lynmouth and it has bedrooms I haven't stayed there. The seafood is spectacular. Yesterday I ate there with my husband and two friends. There is a good menu and I can highly recommend the seafood. My husband and I both had the crab slate - £10.95 which was absolutely delicious. Our friends both had the mussels, which are cooked in three different ways. You order which one you want off the menu. The servings were very generous and we're very well received. I had the praline ice cream for pudding which was served with macerated prunes and white chocolate and was one of the best puddings I have ever tasted. The Exmoor Gold was wonderful too. Service is friendly and efficientand we will be back soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynmouth
The Bath Hotel
#4 of 9 in Lynton
Exmoor Manor Hotel
Exmoor Manor Hotel
#5 of 9 in Lynton

Been to The Rising Sun Hotel? Share your experiences!