“Idyllic little house”
Review of Watersmeet House

Watersmeet House
Ranked #3 of 7 things to do in Lynmouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Where the lush valleys of Hoar Oak Water and the East Lyn river tumble together sits Watersmeet House, a 19th-century fishing lodge, now a National Trust shop, tea room and information point. Watersmeet House was built in 1832 as a fishing lodge by the Reverend W.S.Halliday, the son of a rich businessman. The stone for the house was quarried at Watersmeet, above the East Lyn River. Sitting in a beautiful wooded river valley, Watersmeet and its surrounds are a fantastic place to walk, and enjoy the abundant wildlife and nature of this part of Exmoor. Please visit the National Trust Website for more information on opening times and the history and wildlife of Watersmeet and the surrounding countryside. Visit the "Things to Do" page to download a great walk to see the best the area has to offer.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Idyllic little house”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Perfect location for a nice cream tea. The house is like a gingerbread house next to the steam. The waterfall is amazing just next to the house.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank LillaSzatmary

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Gorgeous”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Been coming here since I was young but I thought I would leave a review.

Watersmeet is absolutely stunning. You can walk right along the river and it is very calm and peaceful. The walks are very hilly in places so be aware. If you have dogs then this is a great place to come. My springer spaniel absolutely loves to splash around in the river!

They do however need some dog waste bins. Couldn't find one anywhere...

Watersmeet house is lovely. There is a lovely grass area outside with tables and you can even borrow a blanket from them if you prefer to sit on the grass.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Stunning ”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Whilst visiting Lynmouth I decided to make the effort and take my girlfriend and young son here. All I can say It made my girlfriend cry because it was so beautiful and it would of made the perfect place to propose. Go and see this place and have a scone!

2 Thank mrshakeyuk
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Woa”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

When I planned our English tour from Hungary I wanted to visit this place. I imagined somehow but it was much better. The birds, the river, the calmness...special place, I can imagine fairies there. And the cream tea was gorgious, the devon clotted cream with strawberry jam was a fantastic experience.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Gocsi
Brierley Hill, England, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Lovely setting”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We parked in Lynmouth and walked up the river to Watersmeet house which is about one and a half miles, the day we went is was really hot and we all had a paddle in the river, the setting is like something out of a fairy tale really pretty. I would recommend good walking shoes as it can be a little uneven and up hill but not too strenuous. We just had a cold drink at the house but the food did look and smell lovely, the garden is lovely. You can park on the road and just walk down to the house but you really would miss the best bits.

Visited July 2014