“Beautiful and restful views, nice hosts”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lynton
Hewitts Villa Spaldi
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Lynton
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I spent some days with my wife in Villa Spaldi in late 2011, but I never took the time to write a review, so here it is. Since we arrived at the hotel we were struck by the peaceful, beautiful panoramas, watching them from the room terrace is breath taking. We enjoyed visiting the splendid house garden, with the husband walking us along the plants telling information and stories about each single specimen. The the food is very good (Tito, the husband is also a skilled cook), and both the hosts were nice and pleasant during all our stay. Lynton and Kynmouth themselves are a cute little towns (don't forget to visit the water powered cliff railway connecting them), with nice walks on the cliff overlooking the sea. Recommended!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank FabrizioCip

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We visited the hewitts for a rare child free night. Having read the reviews we thought it was going to be amazing. The house is beautiful and has a very impressive approach.
Upon arrival we waited a couple of minutes as the front reception door was locked. We were shown up the very beautiful staircase to our room and the lady took time to explain the lights, coffee machine etc.
We had probably the best cream tea ever out on the terrace served by a charming foreign waiter who was very efficient if a little shy.
The room was lovely with the most amazing view and very modern clean bathroom. If I had a small criticism it was that it was quite dusty even the fruit! I thinks perhaps the house keeping had not been checked as when having coffee in the evening there was one small biscuit between two which caused amusement. The bed was lovely as was the linen however we both found the pillows too firm.
Breakfast buffet was a great choice of all types of food and fruit and the coffee lovely and fresh. In hindsight I wish I had stuck to just the buffet as the cooked breakfast was a disappointment. The bacon so over cooked it snapped, the sausage cooked on one side only and the poached egg under poached. Such a disappointment after reading such good reviews about the cooking. I was quite surprised to find we were charged extra for breakfast, in this day and age?
On the whole the hewitts is charming but being the only couple there we felt we didn't want to trouble the staff who were not evident unless you rang for service. We sadly didn't meet the fantastic hosts we had read so much about.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mrspjontour
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We first visited Hewitts at the end of the 1980s - one of our first holidays away together as a couple and loved it. It was therefore with a certain degree of trepidation we decided to return - its always a risk revisiting the past and as we have travelled widely since then, I was worried it might not only not meet my expectations but also challenge my memories.

We stayed for 2 nights in Room 2. It was a lovely room with a small balcony over the front entrance and a window to the side overlooking the sea. I had requested a king sized bed as my husband is tall - it wasn't a king sized bed as I understand them but instead it was 2 single divans together which made it much wider than a king size but not as long. It was (and I am very fussy about beds) very comfortable. The room also had a "self catering" room attached which I didn't expect - it had a full kitchen - oven, hob, sink, fridge etc - but strangely, no obvious place to sit and eat a meal - although I suppose you could have sat on the bed, chaise longue or at the small table beside the window but there was only one chair - anyway - we didn't use it apart from the expresso maker - which was great. The en-suite bathroom was newly renovated and very acceptable although hot water took an age to come through and the shower pressure was a little lacking - but minor grumbles really.

We had intended to check out the menu when we arrived and probably look to eat at Hewitts on the Sunday night - however when we arrived on the Saturday we were told that the restaurant is only open Friday and Saturday night. We had a look at the menu and decided to give it a go. There was no choice of what time to eat (7.30pm) and we had to choose from the menu there and then and place our order for later. We were the only people eating there that night. The food was good - I especially liked the Nettle soup (not something I had tried before). We were offered coffee in the lounge in front of the wood fire which was a nice end to the evening.

The following morning, as it was sunny (amazing given the wash out of a summer we've had) we had breakfast on the terrace overlooking the sea - my husband had a cooked breakfast which is an extra £7.50 but he wasn't impressed and only ate half. I found the buffet breakfast had a lot of choice and was very nice - so I stuck with that.

One thing that I found was exactly the same as the last time we were here, was that you hardly ever saw anybody else - I'm not sure if anyone else was staying in the hotel - we certainly didn't see anyone else at breakfast on either day. If you like a lot of stuff going on in a hotel and want a lot of services etc then you will probably hate this place. We love being left alone - so it works for us.

One thing I think would have made it better would have been if the fire in the lounge was lit on the Sunday evening. We went out for dinner (we can't recommend the Oak Room in Lynton highly enough - I am going to write a review about it when I finish this one) and coming back to the hotel in the dark was interesting as the drive wasn't lit - so make sure you have a torch or a torch app on your phone to guide your way back to the front door. Once we got inside, as usual all was deserted - it would have been much more welcoming if that fire had been lit - we would probably have sat by it for a while before heading off to bed - autumn nights cry out for a welcoming log fire.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bevandmark2
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I really cannot add to other peoples reviews only to add my thanks for making our ruby wedding anniversary stay very very special for both of us.WHAT CHARMING, PEACEFUL, RELAXING PLACE ! We did not meet Mr Spaldi but if he has the same passion for this fantastic retreat as his charming wife, It will be a pleasure to meet him on our next visit, which we hope will be soon!
And next time I will remember to leave our room key on our departure !!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank doitdreckley
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We can not thank the Spaldis' enough for our super stay in the Turret last week.

Hewitts restored our faith in the idea that for some people, getting the details right and creating a relaxing and creative atmosphere is actually important for once.

It's a genuinely inspiring place to be, redolent with old world charm and we felt instantly at home.

Immaculately presented, so helpful and courteous, we were treated as valued vistors and offered every possible home comfort and the food, WOW! What can I say, they were the most divine lunches with home baked rye bread, a huge selection of cheeses, pickles and the (home made!) Pimms was summer perfection in a glass.

That and broadband so I could still keep in touch and an amazing atmosphere which made it possible for me to write a large portion of my novel made for the perfect stress free break. All in all, it turned out to be one of the most pleasant holidays we have had in a very long time and we will be back soon. Grazie.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank PeterMD
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Lynton is a beautiful town with magnificent view and at Hewitts you get to enjoy the splendid view from your bedroom and common areas.
The building is old however the bathroom were modern. The breakfast lacked quality despite the large selection hence why only a 4 instead of a perfect 5.
Would recommend to friends.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bazil R
Reviewed 2 January 2012

The Spaldis' run this hotel as though it were their home and the welcome is as if you were personal guests. The house is romantic and secluded, the furniture exquisitely tasteful - the FOOD is absolutely DIVINE! The very first time we visited, we reluctantly agreed to eat in (having never had good luck with in-house food) but what a SURPRISE! Wow - in a class of it's own. Hewitts is an entire experience of another world - the world that your hosts create for you - relax and enjoy. We have returned many many times and they always remember us - we go back for the wonderful experience and delightful atmosphere. Having now travelled all over the world we now appreciate Hewitts even more - as a unique hotel, with pretention and oozing in class.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Doodles123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynton
The Seawood Hotel
#1 of 5 in Lynmouth
Exmoor Manor Hotel
Exmoor Manor Hotel
#5 of 9 in Lynton

Been to Hewitts Villa Spaldi? Share your experiences!