Having stayed in Shrearings hotels over the last 5 years this is the worst for the room and food. It was also the best for the helpfull staff. The hotel needs refurbishing badly in some areas. The wallpaper was peeling and needed re emulshioning badly. The heated towel rail wasn't working. When we arrived the shower hose leaked and flooded the bathroom floor. We had mould on the window frames, and in the bathroom. The shower pole was also "rusty", yes rusty. I have never stayed anywhere when a cloth with some Domestos whould have made such a difference. We found all the food to have come from a tin, or a packet, just reminiscent of the worst catering of the early 60's.
Dine out if you want something that has any taste at all. Having complained formally to Shearings I have not heard anything after a week. The Management at the hotel knew that room 17 was "CRAP" and did nothing about it. It was the same attitude that you get at the worst NHS Hospitals. All I can say is that German tourists would have burnt the place down.
A good Hotel let down by Management, and Shearings. The restaurent staff were the best part of the three days we spent there.So nice and helpfull.........particlularly Tamara
We heard that some rooms had been refurbished, but could not confirm.
Having waited a week for Sheerings to come back, I'm including photo's of the rust and mould in Room 17 , June 2011.
However, Lynton, Valley of the Rocks is beautifull stay somewhere else and visit.
If and when Shearings come back to me I'll update this review..........
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bay Valley of Rocks Hotel located in the picturesque village of Lynton on the North Devon Coast, this early Victorian Hotel retains many aspects of its original charm. There is an impressive atrium in the lounge, where entertainment is provided most evenings. It is located within Exmoor National Park, in the heart of the village of Lynton, overlooking the twinned village of Lynmouth, known as Little Switzerland. The Villages are linked by a masterpiece of early engineering, The Cliff Railway, built in 1890. There are good local amenities and stunning scenic walks only minutes away. All rooms in the hotel are en suite with many enjoying scenic views of the Bristol Channel to Wales. The Valley of Rocks is the ideal location for walkers or those who simply wish to explore the natural beauty of the surrounding areas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Ebookers, LateRooms and Hotels.com so you can book your Bay Valley of Rocks Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Valley Of Rocks Hotel Lynton
- Valley Rocks Hotel Lynton
- Bay Valley Of Rocks Hotel Lynton, Devon