“We had a lovely stay at this charming...”

and 1 more site!
Chough's Nest Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Lynton
Reviewed 4 July 2010

We had a lovely stay at this charming hotel. The owners Rose & John are so friendly. We were given a kingsize bed in a seaview room; the view of the sea & cliffs were breathtaking and the room was spotless. We had a dinner bed breakfast deal & the food was delicious. Service was prompt too. We'll definitely come back here again.

Reviewed 15 June 2010

We stayed on a Friday night during Lynton's festival weekend and despite noisy jazz evening at the next door hotel we had a splendid time. The owners, John & Rose who are lovely hosts, run the hotel with their three daughters who are very knowledgeable of the local area and suggested some walks for us to try. We went on a walk that afternoon, up Countisbury hill (very steep!!) and then onto Watersmeet and had well-deserved cream tea by the river.

Our room was large with a great view across the sea and with a huge kingsize bed. The bathroom was new and we had two big towels and the owners even supplied me with a spare toothbrush after I had forgotten to pack mine.

Rose is also the hotel's chef and what a great one she is too! We both had the stilton cheese souffles which were delicious and I had the salmon whilst my husband had the Aberdeen Angus beef which he said was cooked to perfection. The desserts were just as tasty – I had a homemade creme brulee with fresh english strawberries and for him, a sticky toffee pudding.

The breakfast menu offered a good choice with fresh orange juice, proper slices of butter (not those skimpy portion sizes) and a fantastic Full English with black pudding and we even got a croissant which was baked fresh that morning. What I liked was that breakfast is served straight to the table, rather than having a “buffet style” which was great as it meant that no one was wandering around the restaurant whilst I enjoyed my cereals.

All in all it would be difficult for me to fault this hotel as it exceed both mine and my husband's expectations. We had a lovely time and I wouldn't think twice about booking again although not when the festival is on!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at the Chough's Nest Hotel. This was our second visit our first being made just after Rose and John took over in 2006.

It was lovely to experience and see the many improvements that they have made. Our bedroom was pleasantly decorated and furnished . The super-king bed was very comfortable. Our bathroom was new and spotlessly clean, with a hot powerful shower.

The lounge and dinning room were also decorated in a style much more in keeping with this lovely Victorian house

Although the weather was bracing, the open fire in the lounge and the central heating kept us nice and cosy, and we enjoyed our drinks and nibbles before dinner each night. The choice of food and cooking was excellent especially the double baked souffle.

We would highly recommend the Chough's Nest Hotel both as somewhere to stay and as a base for touring Exmoor.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2010

This hotel has a great viewpoint out to sea and the Lynmouth cliffs. The service though and some of the furnishings, cutlery, carpets etc...are all a bit tired and dated. I have to agree with other reviewers. Overpriced for what we got. Probably wouldn't visit again. Breakfast didn't offer a help yourself style like so many hotels nowadays and the cooked meal was average. Couldn't comment on evening meal. Several service elements suggested that the staff wouldn't go out of their way to help you with any extras.

Noisy nearby hotel didn't help.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hamwam
choughsnesthotel, Owner at Chough's Nest Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2010

As the owner and proprietor of this small family run hotel, I am always very concerned when complaints are made regarding the level of service that a guest has received. As we do not employ staff, any short-comings must be down to us.

The guests in question, stayed at the hotel on the Saturday night of the Lynton and Lynmouth Music festival. Prior to their arrival they had requested an early breakfast, due to a filming commitment at Lee Abbey on Sunday morning. Breakfast normally starts at 8.30am due to the fact that nearly all of our residents are on holiday.

We had advised him that this would present no problem and we would gladly serve a cooked breakfast at 7.45am. My daughter and I began preparing breakfast at 7.20am on Sunday morning and I greeted the gentleman and his wife at 7.40am and took their order for breakfast, (two full English breakfasts). On returning to the dining room with the gentleman's toast and tea, I found him searching for the starters, so I quipped that 'in this hotel, we provide a table service and I am here to serve you!'

Perhaps the earliness of the hour prevented him appreciating my style of service, but as an experienced hotelier I am acutely aware of the danger of guests struggling with bowls of cereal and glasses of orange juice before they are fully awake.

I can only state that if the above constitutes poor service and a lack of value for money, then I am at a loss as to what this gentleman expected of a small two star hotel.

Regarding the furnishings and carpet, I know that some of the carpets in the public areas do need replacing. However since purchasing the hotel my number one priority has been to replace all of the bathrooms and up-grade my bedrooms, this I have recently achieved.

Finally my cutlery is Mappin and Webb Empire pattern plate, a traditional design, that does rather lack the informality of stainless steel.

Reviewed 13 June 2010

The owners of the hotel were friendly and helpful. What I most appreciated was the peaceful room with amazing views over Lynmouth Bay towards Countisbury Point. All I could hear was the gentle rippling sound of a calm sea, and the leaves on the trees below the hotel rustling gently in the breeze. It was so lovely and quiet, that I was suprised to meet other guests in the dining room when I went down for a late breakfast !

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2009

Pros and Cons
Cliff top location and views
Clean and nicely presented
Old fashioned and rather dated
Difficult access up long steep steps from car park
Service was somewhat too formal

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sknafk
Reviewed 4 October 2009

Excellent location with sea views. Very clean and well kept. Steep steps up from parking area may make it unsuitable for some travellers. Dinner and service were fine, but we mostly dined in the nearby restaurants because they were livelier. The cooked breakfast was excellent. It's a perfect hotel if you are looking for a small, quiet, somewhat old-fashioned, family-run base in Lynton.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OrangeTreeLover
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynton
The Bath Hotel
Lynton Cottage Seaview Apartments
North Cliff Hotel
North Cliff Hotel
#7 of 9 in Lynton

Been to Chough's Nest Hotel? Share your experiences!