“An exceptional small hotel”
Review of The Seawood Hotel

The Seawood Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Lynton
Reviewed 2 April 2012

In search of tranquillity and fabulous walks my husband and I decided on a long weekend stay in Lynton. Having checked on Trip Advisor (my bible as far as hotel accommodation goes) The Seawood Hotel had reviews that impressed me the most and I booked by phone after looking at all the rooms individually on the hotel website. I am pleased to say that my choice was an excellent one. Perched on the bank of North Walk, The Seawood sits in an enviable position overlooking Lynmouth Bay and The Bristol Channel allowing all of its eight bedrooms sea views. The hotel has its own car park which is a real bonus in places like Lynton where free parking is at a premium.

I feel I am about to reiterate many of the previous comments made by earlier reviewers but I see no alternative. To start off with we were warmly greeted by Russ one of the co-owners who initially showed us the ground floor area consisting of a Lounge with bar a spacious dining room and a comfortable lounge/reading room. The hotel rules and dining arrangements etc were explained to us and then without prompting, our bags were taken to our room which was called Ragged Jack and was located on the first floor with both front and side sea view windows. It had a large 6 foot bed which proved to be so comfortable. The bathroom was newly fitted out and was enormous. A pair of chairs was positioned by the main window allowing you to enjoy the views in comfort. If my husband hadn’t wanted to walk so much I could have happily sat there all day reading my book and watching the walkers and boats go by.

What strikes you about The Seawood is the ongoing attention to detail. Not only are the bedrooms and bathrooms all tastefully furnished throughout but the hall and landings which are spacious have just been redecorated and re-carpeted. It is a welcoming sight as soon as you step over the threshold. I have taken a couple of design tips home with me to try out! Kerinda Russ’s partner and the other co-owner is greatly involved with this aspect of the business and also cooks much of the lovely food. They make an excellent partnership.

Talking of food I can tell any would be guests that they will not be disappointed. Breakfast consists of the normal selection of cereals fruit juice yoghurts etc but is also complemented by a large and inviting bowl of fresh fruit salad. Yoghurts come from Devon and were truly scrumptious. The freshly cooked breakfast was varied and in addition to the normal “full English” I spied grilled kippers, scrambled egg and smoked salmon on a muffin both of which made a delightful variation to the norm. As regards Dinner my husband and I ate in one night and again we cannot praise the food enough. It was presented so beautifully and cooked to perfection. My husband enjoyed his main course of chicken in a cream and mushroom sauce whilst I enjoyed the simplicity of fresh Sea Bass both meals accompanied by double cooked potato wedges and a tasty selection of vegetables. Starters and desserts were equally as good. The wine selection had been well chosen with prices starting at £15 per bottle. As an ex accountant who always likes value for money I was pleased to see the hotel bar prices were really well priced much cheaper than pub prices here in Berkshire.

Russ and Kerinda have an extensive knowledge of the area and will make suggestions for places to visit if required. They will do anything within their power to make their guests stay enjoyable. They deserve the accolades they have received to date and we hope that they will continue as owners and guardians of this lovely hotel for some years to come so that we can come back to enjoy it over the years.

Room Tip: Go onto the hotel website to see photos of each room and then take advice from the owners.
1  Thank Patricia100Berkshire

Reviewed 25 March 2012

The warm greeting and guided tour from Russ when we arrived made us feel welcome and we were soon settled into our well furnished and stylish room. Lovely location on the cliff top looking out over the sea, (though our room was on the first floor with a side sea view only). After a cold and windy coastal path walk we had a beautifully presented dinner prepared by Kerinda - first class! A comfortable nights sleep was followed by a breakfast that was lacking nothing and was excellent. If you're looking for a small boutique hotel tucked away then this should be your first choice.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Just back from a weekend at the Seawood Hotel. We were both delighted by the care put into every aspect: from the welcome, to the beautiful rooms, the comfortable public areas, the helpful advice. This is an excellent place for a restful break in England's 'Little Switzerland'.

2  Thank Dharmaboy17
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We visited the Seawood during a wet and windy few days in February. We found the hotel very warm and comfortable. Lovely room with sea views. With the window slightly open, we went to sleep with the sound of the sea and owls and awoke to woodpeckers! There was a good choice of food to suit everyone and it was beautifully prepared and presented. The proprietors, Russ and Kerinda, really care for their guests, nothing is too much trouble.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FelicityBirmingham
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We had a great night at the Seawood and our little for legged friend was treated like royalty, which means that we will definitely be back!! Fantastic place with the best hospitality we have experienced in a long time.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank freckle1
Reviewed 12 February 2012

If you haven't yet decided where to say you need look no further. The Seawood Hotel is a charming boutique style, family run hotel . It is set in the most beautiful , idyllic cliff top location offering fabulous views over the bay. Our room was very tastfully decorated , the bathroom was very sleek and the beds extremely comfortable . But "Seawood" is about more than just stylish accommodation , its the warm and friendly service given effortlessly by Russell and Kerinda that makes this hotel so special.X Sue, Kings Langley

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank sueKingsLangley
Reviewed 26 January 2012

My partner booked a surprise getaway trip (so he gets the brownie points for choosing this fine establishment) to this hotel & it was gorgeous. We were warmly greeted & given a tour by the owner of the hotel then shown to our room. We were in the "Ruddy Ball" room which offers dual aspects with fantastic views.
We decided to dine out, so I am unable to say what dinner is like but, if it is anything like breakfast I am sure it is worth it! We ate outside & were served by a very polite young man who was very attentive & accomodating, even going as far as to find out what museli they were serving for me (it was so delicious).
The hotel itself is ideally situated, shops & restaurants are a mere 5 minutes walk &, if you go out the side gate you arrive at the top of the cliff railway which is very handy!
The room itself was well presented & very clean. The bathroom was particularly impresive, although they provided multi-use shampoo/conditioner rather than small bottles of which I am not a great fan - but this is my only (small & personal) gripe!
We enjoyed a very restful & peaceful sleep, the bed was extremely comfortable & large. It was lovely to wake up the next morning to such an amazing view & watch the sun rise. All in all I was very impressed with this hotel - good job!

Room Tip: From what we could see the Ruddy Ball was the best room for not being overlooked by anyone i.e. you...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Beth M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynton
Chough's Nest Hotel
#2 of 5 in Lynmouth
The Rising Sun Hotel
The Rising Sun Hotel
#1 of 5 in Lynmouth

Been to The Seawood Hotel? Share your experiences!