“Busy carvery, hard working staff but not terribly effective”

Toby Carvery Roborough
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Plymouth
Toby Carvery Roborough
“Busy carvery, hard working staff but not terribly effective”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

As we were staying in the adjacent travel lodge, we had carvery and breakfast here. The breakfast was not great. We had it once and then went elsewhere. There was no option for kids breakfast and the drinks were extra so made it pretty expensive for one plate of cooked breakfast. The carvery was ok. The chef serving the meat was very friendly but the service for drinks etc was unbelievably slow both at the bar and when ordered from the table. Had we not been staying here, I don't think we would have bothered.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The carvery place was buzzing the first time we visited and we had to wait to be seated. They offered four choices of meat and an extensive range of vegetables. Fantastic value for money in a reasonable environment, although you don't get served as much meat as in some other carveries. We ate there twice during our visit to Plymouth.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

When we arrived here for dinner at 17.30 on a Wednesday tea time we were told the restaurant was full but we could eat out in the bar as it would be the same food anyway. This was fine, there were 5 of us and we found a big enough table and found some menus. Having never been to a Toby I wasn't aware that they only did carvery and nothing else, when ordering I made an enquiry about other things and was told sarcastically that that is why they were called Toby carvery. I ordered a coffee for myself and drinks for everyone else, my coffee arrived black and when I asked about milk was told that he thought I said black. My husbands lemonade tasted like soda water, the bar manager made a big deal about having to go and replace it while I then waited 5 minutes for him to do that and then get me milk for my coffee. Overall the service was poor, the food was mediocre, the meat was cut so thin you could see through it and not enough meat was given considering it is a carvery. When my husband was getting his meal he asked for some crackling that is advertised on the radio and was told firstly they don't advertise on the radio and there was none left and he could blame the people who had already eaten it all.I definitely would never have paid the after 7pm price and will never be using the place again. My family live in tavistock and I will be telling them not to use it either.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank June M
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Breakfast all you can eat £3.99 sounds great but it was not the best I have had. Dirty chipped plates!!! Cutlery not looking too clean either so gave everything a good wipe first. The food looked fine although it would
Have been nice if it had all been ready together. I had finished two plates worth before the potato rositi were bought out!! Unlimited tea or coffee for £1.99 . The food was fine but the whole place felt dirty. I would not visit here again.

Stayed August 2014
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

visited twice now for the buffet breakfast , food is excellent once you have bought drink it is then unlimited pepsi bar . toaster running all through so have as much as you want great value for 3.95 plus drinks . highly recommend

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

shambles comes to mind. joining the que to get our food i noticed right no yorkshire puddings where they are normally situated heard someone say 5 mins wait then while getting our meat sliced it was like RIZLA'S papers for smoking along the line cauliflower was burnt then at the end of that there was no gravy they said someone was preparing a new pot told couple of mins well 5 food was cold told not to pay for the meal.it has changed hands will not return until it changes hands again.shambolic service.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Ordered 2 yummy looking pork, stuffing and Apple baps to be very disappointed! Come on a baguette which was a part cooked one cold and dry, with dry pork inside no stuffing or apple sauce.. When pointed out to staff he just went and
Got the missing ingredient On a separate plate so therefore making our own sandwich! Along with 3 black potatoes and a cold Yorkshire he must of seen the disappointed leftovers as he didn't even ask how our meal was..

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple