“Easter Wedding disappointment.”

Sydney Guest House
Sydney Guest House
Ranked #72 of 78 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 April 2013

On arrival greeted by the hosts who were friendly and informative. They then , on a freezing cold day switched on the heating which when it warmed up brought out the musty smell which permeated through every thing in the room . T.V , Wi-Fi and bed not adequate for the price charged , paid for two nights but left after one . Parking in the area is certainly inadequate.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Bob C

An EasyToBook.com traveler
Plymouth
Reviewed 28 October 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Thank An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Friendly welcome. Clean room, decoration a little dated. Tiny TV up in the corner of the room.
Wi-Fi advertised available in all rooms but that simply isn't the case, could only get a weak signal by one window.
The bed is simply terrible, lumpy and can feel the springs digging in.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank staysinhotelsfreq
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I have no qualms with the quality of this guest house. Although the interior does seem a bit dated, this hotel has wi-fi, a warm interior, a standard shower and the couple that own it are wonderful too. This guest house does provide breakfast but unfortunately this is a Meditteranean breakfast. If this hotel provided a full english breakfast it would tick all of the boxes!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Very dated needs work to, musty not very welcoming one night was to much.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank andy2you
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I have never felt so unwelcome anywhere in my life. The land lady was incredibly rude and made me feel like a child. When she opened the door she didn't even say hello or give a friendly smile, she was very abrupt, just looking at us in disgust and saying 'yes?' and she then questioned us quite aggressively about why we were there etc. We had originally planned for 2 girls and 1 boy to stay (with us girls sharing the double bed) and when she found this out she was disgusted. Frankly, as paying customers I don't think she should be complaining about who's going to be in the room, and at 19, we're perfectly capable of controlling ourselves. We were then forced to ask the boy not to come. When she asked us how old we are she looked completely disbelieving of our answer. She was incredibly patronising and kept reinforcing the fact that we were expected to be well behaved and quiet, which I found quite offensive - its common curtesy to be well behaved and quiet in a B&B there was no need to talk to us like a pair of idiots that didn't know any better. When me and my friend got to our room we just sat on the bed whispering, worried we'd annoy the owner by making the slightest noise. As soon as we got to our room we wanted to leave.
I've seen many reviews praising the land lady, so I'm sure for older people she's perfectly friendly and polite but she seemed quick to stereotype us as rowdy teens and just treated us like children because of it - which is incredibly unprofessional.
Didn't even bother with breakfast, we didn't want to have to see her again in fear that we'd be judged, and we just wanted to leave asap.
The sad thing is that her husband seemed incredibly pleasant and if he had been the one to welcome our arrival I'm sure we would have had a much nicer experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Briony262
Reviewed 20 May 2012

My dad paid for this b&b for me as a birthday gift for my 19th and we now wish he had picked somewhere else. The lady that greeted us (If you can call it that) didn't even smile or say hello at the door and treated me and my friends as if we were children; I was made to feel as though I had done something wrong just by staying there. It felt like more of an interrogation than a welcoming.

Because of this unfriendly welcoming we felt rather uncomfortable throughout our stay and left as early as we could in the morning to get out of their way so we didn't try the breakfast in the morning.

To top it off the room we had, which was an attic room for three people, was cold and the beds felt unstable.

Definitely not worth the money and I will not be returning!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends