“Good location for ferry”

Best Western Duke Of Cornwall Hotel
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
“Good location for ferry”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Second stay here and was booked through my booking company, so I was a bit dubious but no time to change it. The hotel is perfectly situated for the ferry and about 10 mins drive to the Torpoint ferry. In its day I am sure it was a very grand hotel and has kept may of those features however it still needs to have an uplift. Car Park is always full so you have to park on the road in a residential area, not ideal for families and disabled. The entrance is up steps and stairs inside there is no one to help with luggage so even wheeled cases need to be carried. Reception staff wear fleeces not a proper uniform which gives a poor impression. My room was much better than last time although not a refurbished one the bathroom was so small, you would have struggled if two people using the room. The floor was very creaky and so i was worried about people below me must have been thinking, not a lot i could do really. No duvet but old fashioned blanket and sheets, lots of mains sockets for recharging is good as well as the wired internet.
I ate in the restaurant and found the staff there were fantastic and the food good if a little pricey. You can also eat in the bar and there was a deal of the day on which was cottage pie and a glass of wine for £9 (i think) otherwise I think you could walk into town and find the usual chains.
Thee is a lift to the floors but not sure if there is a disabled entrance.

Room Tip: Check with Reception if you have requirements and ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Harrycrac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
dorset
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Stayed on business and hotel let me park and check in early on day one. Room was a bit small but had everything and was very clean and tidy with a comfy bed .hotel is in excellent position for central Plymouth but not noisy.food pricy but ate in bar and bar staff vey friendly.breakfast fine too.would stay again

• Stayed February 2012
London
Reviewed 23 February 2012

The Duke of Cornwall Hotel in Plymouth is a really good hotel, and a terrific building, very interesting, and built in the days when they really knew how to construct impressive looking hotels. It is situated right in the city centre. Parking is free just round the corner from 4pm to 10am. They also have a car park at the rear of the building. I stayed there in February 2012, and it was a fairly cold night. My room was nice and warm, the bed and all other facilities in my room were great. The breakfast, and the service given to me at breakfast was just superb, and I will definitely be staying here again, it really is one of the best places in Plymouth.
My only problem was the usual one, the Internet just would not work. I tried connecting through the cable, and 'Windows' said the cable was either damaged or unplugged, I also tried the wi-fi. This does allow connection and indicates a good signal, but 'Windows' displayed the usual message, "Little or no Connectivity". I went downstairs and politely asked the very beautiful Polish lady on reception why it was not working, and yet again, receptionists think its the guests fault. They know nothing about me, my ability or that of any other guest, but I must be the stupid one, because I can't connect !
This is not just a problem with this hotel, it happens every week to me, at some hotel, somewhere in Europe.
Anyone staying here, or considering a stay here, needs to bring their own Internet access 'dongle' if they want to connect to the Internet. Fortunately, although they are slow, I have one, and got my work completed.
I will say again, it is a lovely hotel, full of character, very cheap and good value for money, and I will stay here again.

Richard Kaminski.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank trigga1526
DukeofCornwallHotel, Manager at Best Western Duke Of Cornwall Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear Trigga1526,

Thank you for your kind review. Sorry that you experienced problems with our broadband system. We do have a helpline number displayed in the rooms, which is direct to our technical provider. They are often better placed to advise than staff members. I hope that when you next visit you can easily access the system. Once again many thanks for your review.

Kind regards,

Bude, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed here as it is just across the road from the Plymouth Pavillions, we were seeing Billy Connolly so decided it would be perfect and it was, lovely helpful staff, lovely decor, the bar food was really good.

We also visited the gin distllery, the hotel has a discount set up so you get the tickets as a reduced rate, the night porter kindly printed off details about the distllery and gave us details and put under our door, as I said staff really helpful.

The rooms lovely and clean, the breakfast which was included in the room price was great, buffett or hot, I would recommend the hot cooked as it was great very good portions and great service. We will go back as it is also so central for shopping and sight seeing. Lovely lovely hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Marisa0023
Dear Marisa0023,

Thank you for your lovely review. Glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Having booked into this hotel due to our normal choice being fully booked i was not over impressed, the location is pretty good and the room was ok, bathroom was nice and big but a bit dated. Not much atmosphere in the hotel, and i dont think i saw one guest in the hotel bar. I believe there are some rooms that have been updated, so maybe if we stay there again we would give that one a go!

Room Tip: ask for one of the new rooms
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
DukeofCornwallHotel, Manager at Best Western Duke Of Cornwall Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear Becksibabe,

Thank you for your review. I hope you do choose to stay again and experience one of our many newly refurbished bedrooms.

Thanks again,

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Our over-night stay was in the very impressive Tower Suite which has views over Plymouth Sound and the City with the added use of a telescope! We decided to book in at The Duke of Cornwall as we had tickets for the Katherin Jenkins show at The Pavillions which is right opposite the hotel so why rush down for the show and then home again afterwards when you can arrive early have a drink and something to eat from the varied Bar Menu before just walking over the road to the show and back again afterwards. After a very comfortable nights sleep in The Tower it is down to enjoy breakfast where you are spoilt for choice! We have stayed at The Duke of Cornwall before and have always been very pleased with our rooms, their pleasant and friendly staff and the food. Since out last stay we noticed the new wonderfully rich deep blue and gold carpet to the entrance and reception, the lounge, bar up the very impressive grand staircase and to the magnificant ballroom which this time was laid up for a function - we had to have a peep - it was very impressive - not many hotels these days have a ballroom and certainly not one of this size. So next time you think of attending something at either The Pavillions or The Theatre Royal or a stay in Plymouth spoil yourselves and book in at The Duke of Cornwall.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maureen H
Dear Maureen H,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and show. Hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards,

P Adams
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Check in was speedy and we went to our room on the 4th Floor Room 416 was easily one of the nicest rooms we have ever stayed in,beautifully decorated, a lovely bathroom, comfortable
beds and a very nice sitting area with a wide screen T. V. The Hotel is very convenient if
as we were you are going to a show at The Plymouth Pavillions as it is across the road.
It is a shame they do not do an early diners but you can get bar snacks.Breakfast was 1st class.
All in all we had a brilliant stay all the staff we encountered were excellent.

Room Tip: You can't do better than room 416
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank angie036
DukeofCornwallHotel, Manager at Best Western Duke Of Cornwall Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear angie036,

Thank you for your great review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and liked room 416, it seems room 416 is becoming a subject of topic on Tripadvisor! We'd agree, it is a great room!

Hopefully we will see you again soon, thanks again.

Regards,