“Brilliant Charity Evening, Lots of Fun!”

Best Western Duke Of Cornwall Hotel
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 3 December 2010

I had no idea what to expect when we got tickets to a charity event at the Duke of Cornwall except that we were looking forward to supporting a good cause. We were absolutely delighted with what turned out to be a fantastic evening. The Duke of Cornwall went to such an huge amount of effort with the theme (Moulin Rouge) and the attention to detail was superb. The food was delicious and the staff were friendly and accommodating. I understand that a vast amount of money was raised too. The bedroom was very comfortable and clean and the much needed breakfast was suitably substantial.

As a business owner myself I would not hesitate to use The Hotel of Cornwall for corporate functions.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bex_Layman
Write a ReviewReviews (1,022)

Reviewed 30 November 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a Moulin Rouge Charity Ball event and had a brilliant stay from start to finish.
On arriving at the hotel I was impressed as soon as I walked in; the building is lovely, the staff were really friendly and our twin room was great - plenty of room and had everything we needed.

When we went downstairs in the evening for the ball, the reception area had been transformed with a red carpet and balloon archways leading through to the bar for a champagne reception. The main ball was held in the amazing ball room where a 5 course dinner was served. The food was lovely - great portions. The night porter service, after the ball had finished, was very accommodating. After a good night's sleep, we were greeted at breakfast by friendly staff and enjoyed a full english breakfast which was just what was needed!

A great place to stay - brilliant location as well and I will defintely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Claire_Holbrook
Reviewed 9 November 2010

I had looked at Tripadvisor before booking my accommodation and thought I should add my comments as the experience was so positive.

I was travelling on business, running late and had a dinner appointment that I could not be late for. En route I called reception and was gently reassured that everything was OK, plus how far away I was from the hotel as I explained some landmarks, where the parking was and that they could check me in quickly when I arrived. On check-in I was greeted with a polite and quick service which was just what I wanted.

My room was clean with all the appropriate 'equipment' you would expect but what did surprise me was the space. A desk and a couple of easy chairs would normally fill most hotel rooms but I was able to spread out with cases all over the floor and get ready for my dinner in comfort.

Where I felt the hotel really excelled was their customer service. I personally do not want to become best friends with the employees, but on the other hand, grumpy front of house staff don’t do it for me either (a far too common trait of UK hotels). The Duke of Cornwall got it right for me with a professional mix of efficiency whilst making the customer feel valued.

Certainly if travelling on business, this is one hotel that will reduce, not increase, your stress level. Good job, thank you.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Philpin
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I visited this hotel last week on business, influenced heavily by the positive reviews on this site. However, I unfortunately cannot agree with all the glowing reports. I was particularly looking forward to a newly refurbished/individually designed room, but like another reviewer here, I clearly did not have one of these rooms. I realise that when staying on business I get reduced company rate, and therefore not necessarily the best room in the house, but my room, on the top floor, was so dated, with tired decor and was quite depressing overall. Normally it feels quite luxurious to stay overnight in a hotel, but not at this one. The bathroom was marginally better, although the decor was still rather odd (wooden sauna style painted sage green). To be fair, the bathroom was spotlessly clean, apart form the rubber bath mat - yuck - I decided I would prefer to take the risk of slipping than using it. Breakfast was aerage - exactly what you would expect from a hotel of this standard. Staff were average - not rude, but not friendly either. Overall I was disappointed, mainly with my room, as the building is quite spectacular from the outside but let down by the inside.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I booked this last minute for a work trip and was pleasantly surprised. The service was friendly, the lobby and style of the decor was really old worldy to me, but I liked it. Plymouth is a hole but this place was nice.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 October 2010

A comfortable but modern Hotel well situated for the Tourist attractions of Plymouth.
Near to Ferryport for further travel to France ,Spain and beyond.
Caring and helpfull Staff.
Good facilities.
Excellent food.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank jayceePattaya
Reviewed 20 September 2010

I can only assume we had one of the un-refurbished four poster rooms as it smelt musty, was very tired looking, stains on the bedding, the windows were filthy, broken tiles in the bathroom and black mould in the shower, all for the privilege of paying £135 a night. A surly bar man, who seemed harassed/stressed. Bar food was poor, I've never had minced scampi (if that was what it was)
Breakfast was a redeeming factor, with very pleasant waitresses.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple