“ugly, but excellent value, especially breakfast”

Copthorne Hotel Plymouth
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Lots of reviewers here seem very upset about the Copthorne's decor being passé, and it's true that most of the hotel is unfashionable, but it's also very convenient. The hotel is maybe two minutes' walk from the main railway station; it's right next to a shopping centre with a Sainsbury's; and it's maybe 15 minutes' walk to the Barbican, pedestrianised and leafy all the way to the city centre.
As with everywhere I've stayed in the UK lately, there aren't always enough parking spaces for everybody, but you can park overnight in the Sainsbury's car park beside the hotel.
The staff were all polite and cheery. They tried to sell us an upgrade and some kind of frequent user plan when we checked in, but I imagine they are obliged to do so by management, so I couldn't really hold it against them. The only hint we got of all the disorder mentioned in other Trip Advisor reviews was prior to arriving, when I booked room and breakfast and got an email confirmation that said "room only". I emailed to check, and yes, it did include breakfast.
The breakfast was excellent. It's buffet, with things such as lots of very fresh fruit and the option of proper yoghurt, which aren't that common in hotel buffets. As the menu says, if you ask they'll do various other breakfast dishes such as eggs benedict, or boil your eggs to your liking. The staff were all very efficient and good humoured. I'm still marvelling at what good value it was.
I love Ibis hotels and their space-saving design and frequent redecoration, but it was nice to be in an older hotel that still has a bath in the bathroom. The room was clean and warm, the bed was comfortable, and there was plenty of hot water. There was even an ironing board and iron, another thing you don't get in more modern hotels.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank carolinetxu

Reviewed 29 April 2011

Just over £80 for b & b for three inc city centre parking. Rooms are a bit tired and the breakfast is filling but nothing to write home about. But at this price for three for such a central location you can't complain. A few minutes walk from railway station and university. Book on the Copthorne/Millennium website if you want a room for three - it's difficult using some hotel booking systems to get this price. Traffic noise in the morning and no air con in our room.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Aramanta
Reviewed 18 April 2011

got a 3 night bargain break on another website,upgrade to club room,with complimentary soft drinks in the fridge,upgrade teatray and complimentary movies and a drink in the bar .although the hotel and rooms are very tired we could not be bothered as we had got a great deal,breakfast was ok,room cleaned fantastic everyday,staff fine, no problems,breakfast sometimes busy with coach parties. £5.50 car park per day, we was ok ,saved driving around, all in all an enjoyable stay

Reviewed 12 April 2011

Stayed here for three nights with my wife , EXCELLENT VALUE , Even the weather was good ( Thanks to all ) V Hocking

2  Thank vhocking
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I booked a "Club Room" via the Copthorne website - I chose this package due to the included extras - breakfast, bigger room, newspaper, internet access and complimentary drinks.

Upon arrival I found out that despite being told otherwise, there was a charge for the car park. I pointed out that I was told the parking was free, and was informed that I "could park in Sainsburys nearby" but "they completely understood my point". They still charged me for parking so obviously didn't understand my point at all. Clearly the customer wasn't right in this particular case!

I left the breakfast card out on the door for myself and my partner, making various choices. The breakfast arrived in the morning but with only enough food for one, also to my surprise, the bell boy asked for payment although the room came with breakfast! I phoned reception to complain about both points. The receptionist seemed bewildered that I would want food for TWO people (how strange of me, given there were two of us in the room!) and also informed me that my booking didn't come with breakfast. I obviously pointed out that the room did, and requested they call me back when they'd sorted it out. They called back, again telling me my room didn't come with breakfast. I requested again they they call me back once the situation was sorted. They didn't call back, but miraculously the charges didn't appear on my room bill when I checked out.

Aside from the complete lack of any organisation from the reception staff, the room was grubby and like stepping back into the 1980s. The bed was absolutely dire, and clearly not replaced in a long time. It wobbled around more than a water bed and actually made me feel nauseous a number of times. Myself and my girlfriend had a terrible nights' sleep as we both kept ending up in the middle of the bed as there was dip in the middle! Also can anyone tell me why there was a bottle opener in the bathroom? Beer whilst on the loo maybe?

In summary - don't waste your money on this place. The staff that I dealt with were rude and the room was of terrible quality, most definitely not the "club" room that I paid for. To top it off, complaining about not receiving what you've paid for apparently falls on deaf ears!

Room Tip: Avoid it and spend your money elsewhere!
2  Thank ripuk
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I stayed here with my mother in February for two nights. We arrived by train, which is ideal, as the hotel is so close to the train station (a two minute walk). It's also in a good location for the shopping centre and the University.

Our room was very nice, the beds were very comfortable, it was lovely warm, and the shower was good (if a little too powerful!).

Breakfast was nice, with an option of a full english or cereal/breads/fruit and fresh tea and coffee.

The staff were all very helpful. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Ktmy2011
Reviewed 7 March 2011

We always stay here when in Plymouth - staff are lovely, beds are really comfortable and food is excellent and if you wish you can have a full breakfast delivered to your room for no extra charge. You can check out and leave your bags here all day until you leave the city. We see the same staff year in / year out - always a good sign in any establishment.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple