“Don't believe negative reviews of this hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Copthorne Hotel Plymouth

Copthorne Hotel Plymouth
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Widnes, United Kingdom
“Don't believe negative reviews of this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

I stayed in this hotel in October 2012 whilst visiting friends in Plymouth. I booked it because I was on a budget £62 bed and breakfast per night seemed good value. I had read some negative reviews so I was not expecting much. On arrival I was pleasantly surprised, yes the outside of the building is a sixties concrete box, but the interior is smartly decorated and spotlessly clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Yes you do pay six quid a day to park your car, but the car park is under the hotel and is very secure, you need a token from reception to get out. I was directed to a room on the fourth floor, it was quite large and again it was spotlessly clean. On Sunday afternoon I asked the bar staff if they would change the channel on the t.v. so that I could watch the Formula 1 they said no problem and handed me the Sky remote. I sat in a comfy chair with a pint in a nice hotel watching my favourite sport (heaven). In addition breakfast was excellent and was served with a smile. Overall this hotel represents excellent value for money and I will definitely stay there again. Well done Copthorne.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Surrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights this past weeked as my Dad is having his house renovated. I picked the hotel for it's location and cheap price (£50/night). However, I wish we had stayed at the Premier Inn.

The hotel is dated, and looks very depressing from the outside, so please don't book this if you're looking for a romantic break. It is also in the lower end of town which isn't as nice as other areas.

Inside, it is like stepping back at least 15 years, but we didn't plan to spend any time in the hotel other than to sleep, so I could ignore that.

However, when we got to our room and went to bed, we realised that the bed was really small, smaller than a regular double, and was in fact a pull down bed, which creaked every time you moved. I cannot fathom why a hotel room would have a pull down bed!

I didn't complain and ask to move rooms as we were out early in the morning and returned late at night and I couldn't be bothered. I certainly wouldn't go back though!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Plymouth hotels

Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

As has been mentioned hotel is a bit grim looking from the outside and decor is dated, however with it's convenient location, clean comfortable room, pleasant, friendly and helpful staff and reasonable room rates, the hotel manages to redeem itself.
We booked through the hotel website direct and upgraded to a "Club Room" for an additional £20 per night. This entitled us to a larger room, and a package of added extras include complimentary internet access (erratic though) , complimentary soft drinks and mineral water from the mini bar replenished daily, bathrobes, newspaper each day, upgraded luxury toiletries and use of the safe in the room. More significantly, we also got a voucher for 2 complimentary drinks in the bar for each night of our stay (worth around £8.50 a go) and a complimentary Continental Breakfast in the restaurant each day of our stay.

We would have been paying for the drinks and breakfast anyway, so recouped the extra £20 a night easily as well as enjoying the larger room and other extras.

Room Tip: Upper floor.
Stockport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

At first glance the hotel appears very dated. The rooms are of a reasonable size but furnishings are dated, old style TV and Curtains that are threadbare ( you could see the hoes in them as the Sun Rose !). On arrival I was met with a very curt " how are you paying" no attempt at customer service such as " could I take a card imprint Sir"
Was passed a token for the car park but no suggestion that more would be available if driving in and out more than once. The actual public areas of the hotel are better than the exterior suggests and for what we paid it is fair to say we had decent value but a bit of TLC to the building and some effort from the staff could easily move it's rating to "Good". Definitely worth using if wanting a town centre location and you are not looking for luxury or high prices.
Beds were not the most comfortable I have experienced, the ceiling fans were a novelty (!) and we didnt bother with food or drink as there are lots of other options close by.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Tredegar South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

Stayed at this hotel from 27 oct to 30th on choir tour to Plymouth. All together about 70 peoplr in all
Found the staff really helpful, the facilities good, the room (twin) comfortable and warm - bathroom roomy and very clean. Bar prices high, but we were able to negotiate a reduction on the last night. Hotel ideally situated to explore the town
Maybe a little in need of some decorative TLC in places.Food was generally very good with usually quick friendly service
Would stay again, especially if a special deal was offered

• Stayed October 2012
Tavistock, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a trip to the theatre and our opinion upon leaving was never again. Before we even arrived the staff were rude. On phoning to asking about parking the response from the staff was "I don't work on reception so I can't give you any details." No effort was made to find someone who could! Our room was ok for one night until at about 10.30 a function started playing loud music which wasn't due to finish until 1 in the morning, something we hadn't been told about. They did move us to another room although a disabled room which isn't as nice when it's a birthday treat. At Breakfast the staff were extremly rude to my husband.
All in all never again!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

We came to the Copthorne, a three star hotel, after our bad experience at the four star Grand Hotel in Torquay and were not expecting much.

We were pleasantly surprised.

The room was more than adequate.

The staff were helpful and pleasant.

Although not much parking "in house", the hotel had thoughtfully made a standing arrangement for hotel guests in the next door Sainsbury car park.

Breakfast was OK and there was a good choice of well cooked dishes for Dinner.

All in all we would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business