“Good Central Location”

Copthorne Hotel Plymouth
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed here for four night, Staff very friendly and helpful, room very clean and all ammenties you could need. We had a upgraded room and could find no fault. Good location for shops and Barbican area. Will go back

Room Tip: Up to individual but we asked for room near lift as have some mobility problems
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
CopthornePlymouth_UK, Reception Shift Leader at Copthorne Hotel Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a positive review of the hotel. We will pass you comments back to our staff and look forward to welcoming you back to Copthorne Plymouth soon.

Many thanks
Reception Shift Leader.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,063)

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I spent 5 nights in room 319 (double room used as single) for business. The room is big and well soundproof. The mattress was good and the quality of sleep too. The bathroom is also big. Quality of cleaning and towels good. The view from the window is bad, just another building (Salvation Army) in the front. The breakfast was excellent: good quality and various (good fruit choise). I mainly have three complains: 1-if you have a car the garage of the hotel is really small and always full (in five days I never get the chance to park in it), the option is to park in the Sainsbury's car park (perfect location in fron of the hotel), BUT only from 20 to 9.30, for the remaining hours you have to pay the ticket. 2-the free internet connection is very slow. 3-the night-shift personnel at the reception is absolutely inefficient: the night I arrived they asked me to pay £5/day for internet, while the day after the day-shift receptionist told me that it was free. Also when I departed, always the night-shift receptionist made a lot of confusion about my bill, wasting time. The restaurant of the hotel is not the best, but not bad. I don't recommend this hotel to couples or for vacation: the style is sad. While for business is ok if you don't have the car and use internet only for check the email.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Axel_VI

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Copthorne Hotel Plymouth. All feedback is welcomed as it helps us to improve the services we provide.

Unfortunately being a city centre hotel, our views can be limited depending on where in the hotel you are situated, this does however help you with the parking issues as there are a number of NCP car parks within the area should you have issues getting into ours.

Regarding your comments about our Nights Team, I will take all your comments back to the line manager and hopefully this will be resolved as customer service is very important to us.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night to meet up with friends. It is in a great location the hotel itself is a little tired looking and could probably do with a makeover but saying that has amazingly comfortable beds and pillow with spacious rooms and a good value breakfast. Parking can be a bit of an issue as the hotel parking is limited but David the porter is very courteous and more than helpful a real asset to the hotels staff who are all lovely but David has got a personal mention as he really goes out of his way to help and as the first person you meet when you come in he is very welcoming. Well worth a visit if in Plymouth would stayed there again and hyoid value.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
CopthornePlymouth_UK, Reception Shift Leader at Copthorne Hotel Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review of the hotel, we are glad you have had a pleasant stay with us.

Should you ever find that you are struggling to get a car parking space in the hotels private car park, we do offer complimentary additional parking (between the hours of 8pm and 9.30 am the following morning), by using the Sainsbury’s Supermarket parking.

You comments about our staff have been relayed and a special mention given to David, good customer service is very important to us and we are glad you have received this during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Plymouth soon.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed here for one night and to be fair it is very handy for the uni and city centre. The rooms are Ok although a little tired. Unfortunately my room was directly above the ventilation fans for the underground car park and a constant noise filtered into the room. Dinner in the restaurant was also OK although I had to wait nearly forty minutes for the starter to arrive and then it was over cooked to the point of being burnt but by then I was so hungry I just put up with it. My own fault I know.
The main problem was breakfast or the lack of it. Due to a "suspected gas leak" they were not able to provide any hot food, not even toast. There was no real apology, in the the restaurant duty manager was almost defiant in her approach, take it or leave it attitude. There was no offer of a reduction in the bill and an altogether very unsatisfactory experience. Come on Copthorne you should, and can do better than this.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review on the Copthorne Hotel Plymouth.

Should you ever find yourselves staying with us again are not happy with the room assigned please bring it to the attention of our reception team who will be more than happy to assist you in finding a more suitable alternative.

With reference to the gas leak. It was reported that there was a strong smell of gas in the kitchen area. We referred this to the local gas company who advised that no appliances were to be used until a further inspection by trained personnel was conducted. As we take Health and safety seriously at the hotel this was how we proceeded. I do however offer our apologies if you feel our staff did not relay this to you in the right way.

Please contact myself directly to assist with the next booking and hopefully we can restore your faith in the Copthorne Hotel.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We have just had a week in England, Plymouth to be exact. We stayed at the Copthorne hotel as we have done on numerous times. This time it was different. The hotel standards have gone right down. The place looks shabby and in need of decoration. Carpets in rooms are worn through, wallpaper is drab.The bathroom in our room must have just had some repairs as the tiles were in a mess and this was in a " connoisseur " room. Room 320 to be exact. The bar looks tired as well. To add insult to injury my favorite lager was missing. Also you had to pay to park your car on hotel premises! We could not wait to leave the hotel in the morning. The only plus side to it was the staff. They were brilliant.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Francis B

Dear Guest

May I offer our apologies that your recent stay with us has not been pleasant.

As a hotel we are aware that the property is in need of a refurbishment. We are currently in the early stages of planning but would not expect work to commence until the middle of 2014. I will refer you comments to the maintenance team about the bathroom and hopefully this will be rectified.

We have recently changed suppliers for the bar and introduced a new variety of draughts, many apologies that this has replaced your favourite. I hope you found something to you liking in the new selection.

Your kind comments about our staff will be passed on.

Should you ever find yourselves in Plymouth again please contact me directly and allow me a chance to assist you with a more satisfying stay.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

First impressions of the Copthorne Plymouth are not favourable. The building is a concrete abomination and sits at one of a Sainsburys car park (this, as it happens, has more benefits than downsides...)
My wife, my 9yr old son, my father and I arrived on a Saturday afternoon for a reunion I was attending that evening. Dad was the babysitter... We had just about managed to find a space in the woefully inadequate hotel car park in the basement. The entrance into the hotel from here is less than salubrious, continuing the 'concrete abomination' theme.
The reception area was perfectly adequate, with seating areas if required. The reception staff were friendly, helpful and informative. Instructions were given on how and where to find our rooms.
The first thing I noticed about our room was the lack of any ventilation/heating control other than two windows, which for safety reasons only open about 4".
That said, the room was comfortable, quite 'roomy' with adequate storage. We'll appointed bathroom with a shower that would serve well as a jet washer I other circumstances! I like that but this isn't to everyone's liking.
My ships reunion was held in the function room downstairs which was perfectly adequate for our requirements. The only downside (and this is a really minor issue) is that you have to leave this room to go to the main hotel bar. Not a 'biggy' really... The food in the vending was very good and lots of it. My wife had contacted the hotel earlier to notify them of her food intolerance. This had been catered for very well and the waiting staff well briefed in advance. This was excellent because so often you end up with a frankly embarrassing '20 questions' scenario.
Refreshingly, the bar prices didn't seem to be too exorbitant albeit with the fairly ubiquitous mundane hotel beer selection (John Smiths, Heineken etc. etc.) but perfectly acceptable. Very pleasant bar staff who were prepared, if necessary, to stay until we had drunk the place dry! (Many places I have stayed will, not even though they are 'obliged' to serve residents as long as those residents require serving)
I have no recollection of what the bed was like but I survived the night so it can't have been that bad!
Breakfast was fairly dire. We weren't late down but many things on the hot shelf had run out although they were replenished periodically but most it was substandard. That said, the fresh fruit shelf was very good (although I see that one guest who was staying the same night found a piece of glass in their selection!) The teas was like nothing I had ever drunk before, even in my time in the Navy, 'disgusting' just about does it justice...
Checkout was a painless affair, once again the reception staff were helpful and polite.
On our return home it was discovered that we had left a charger for an iPad in one of our two rooms. The hotel was contacted, the charge had been recovered and was duly dispatched by post that same day, free of charge! I thought that was exceptional.
All in all, I think the Copthorne was above average with sore room for improvement in the breakfast department.
Would I stay there again? Certainly.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Paulcox1

Dear Guest,

Thank you for you recent review of the Copthorne Hotel Plymouth. I am pleased that your reunion was a success and you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We have passed all of your comments regarding our staff back to the relevant teams and are glad that you have good service and our team went the extra mile to ensure that your evening carried on as long as you could and hope that the comments about breakfast will help to improve this service.

In reference to the exterior of the building, we are aware that the building is in need of an injection of capital, and while a refurbishment is in the early planning stages, we would not expect work to commence until mid 2014.

We hope that you return to visit Plymouth soon and that the Copthorne can once again help with your accommodation needs.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 5 October 2013

We checked in to the Copthorne hotel on the 04/10/13 for one night, good very secure car park underground, simple clean twin room overlooking the gardens, lots of hot water, good beds..Breakfast ok, not a lot of choice, cooked breakfast served to you at table...
Handy for the city centre. 10 minute walk to the Barbican, where all the nightlife happens. We would stay here again when in Plymouth.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndrewMur

Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel we are glad you have had a good stay with us.

You comments about breakfast will be fed back to the relevant teams and hopefully we can look to improving this part of your stay.

We look forward to your return

Many Thanks