“Great for an overnight stop”

Copthorne Hotel Plymouth
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at the Copthorne in Plymouth last Friday, as I was attending my son's passing out parade at H.M.S. Raleigh, and wanted to spend some time with him afterwards, instead of the long drive back home the same day. I managed to book a room online with Hotel.com and only paid £54 which I thought was a bargain. I would have to say it was ideal for my purpopse, and being so close to the town centre and Plymouth Ho, which I had a walk upto on the Saturday, as it was a glorious morning. I have read some of the other comments, and have to say, that I wasn't really bothered about it being dated etc, as I didn't spend much time in the place, apart from the evening to sleep, the room was fine, clean, comfy bed, had a ironing board - iron, trouser press etc, the bathroom had plenty of towels and toiletries, T.V. tea - hot drinks tray. so it ticked all my boxes and at that price was great value for money, parking in the underground car park was £7.50 but at least my car was secure, and I was given a token to use to get out as the shutter doors are down. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, as we wanted directions to a decent curry house, and they gave us directions. So all in all, a great place for an overnight stop, especially if you book it on one of the sites mentioned, otherwise I wouldn't have chosen it, as their prices are slightly higher!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Oldirishharp
Write a ReviewReviews (1,069)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is a centrally located hotel in Plymouth city. It's clean and basic and fine for somewhere to sleep overnight. Parking is in the basement which is secure but there is a charge of £7.50 per night. We included breakfast in our package, it was OK. The hotel is a bit tired and lacklustre. We found the staff to be helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and it was, whether by luck or design I'm not sure
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pauline F
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have just returned from a nights stay at the Copthorne Plymouth. First things first, the photgrapher did a great job for the exterior on the web sites, it looks nothing like it in reality, dirty , depressed and past it. The underground garage is cramped, has a high vapour smell which should have a fan to extract and is dirty, for that you pay £ 7.00 a night. The reception is fine, and confidence builds. My room a double on the fourth floor, was cramped, in need of new wall paper and paint and overlooks a Sainsburys car park, the fan attached to the ceiling was noisy and wobbled, the room was a throw back to the seventies. The bathroom small and uninviting.
I stayed on business and invited my wife to come along as a break, when i opened the door, i wish i hadnt . Very dissapointing. Breakfast at £ 8 booked or £ 11 not booked was ok, nothing to shout about, the atmoshere , well there wasnt any, it was like a throw back to the seventies. The wifi was chargable and whilst my phone connected, my laptop wouldnt. I often stay at the Copthorne in Newcastle on business, now thats a treat, i got at Plymouth something different.

Room Tip: Unless you want to look at shoppers loading their cars at Sainsburys, ask for a room with a nice vie...
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Only stayed one night and it was a booking made on my behalf by the company i was working for. The hotel itself is nothing special but could be so much more. Booking in was straight forward although having the reception on the first floor seems odd. The room was comfortable, spacious with a nice big bathroom. Arrived late so did not sample the main menu but looked at was was on offer and to be honest thought the prices were average for the type of hotel it was. Breakfast was chaotic but the food was plentiful and hot. My main gripe was the room cost over £100 for one night, then had to pay £7.50 to park my van and not even in a proper bay as the car park was full.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

A great hotel in a great location. Just 1 minute walk from the town centre, with friendly staff and fantastic food this is definitely one of the best hotels I've stayed in. The rooms are big enough with spacious bathrooms and comfortable beds. No air con, but a ceiling fan ensures you don't get too hot. I'll ensure we're booked into this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
CopthornePlymouth_UK, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear David P,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay here at the Copthorne Hotel Plymouth.

It is really great to hear such positive feedback from our guests and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Copthorne Hotel Plymouth in the future.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

This hotel wasn’t my first choice. I came here a couple of years ago with work and thought it to be a bit grubby. Nothing has changed; in fact it is a lot worst. The bar area has shabby threadbare seating; the rooms are again a bit grubby and dated, and breakfast is a tad shambolic. I have to say that the breakfast staff have a difficult job to do as the hotel is currently full.

There’s a lot of Germans here presently and it would be interesting to know what they think of the place. Again to be fair to the bar staff, they were conversing with our European friends in basic German.

The reception area does not reflect the rest of the hotel as it is pretty neat and plush. But when you get to the rooms, it all turns a bit pear shaped.

My wife joins me tonight and we then stay in Plymouth for the weekend. Thankfully we are changing hotels tomorrow to the Premier Inn at Sutton Harbour. We have stayed there before and were pleasantly surprised. I am expecting the same.

So in conclusion; most of the staff are good, but the Copthorne Group really need to spend some money place. I probably will not be coming here again.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!

Dear Rhidian,

Thank you for your review.

I am disappointed to learn that you found your experience less than satisfactory during your recent stay with us.

Millennium & Copthorne are aware of the need for refurbishment in certain areas of the hotel in Plymouth and as mentioned in previous responses, an injection of capital has been arranged and work will be ongoing throughout 2014 and 2015.

I do hope that you do decide to return to us for any future stays in Plymouth so that we may restore your faith in us and show you the results of our planned refurbishment.

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

The reception staff very helpful and friendly. They needed to be to offset the catering/bar staff who were lazy and not interested in customer service except one. The decor was worn and shabby. I did have a very quiet room which was lovely considering the proximity to the main road. Cold bacon very common, I was there for 5 breakfasts. Free Internet was great. TV reception was poor.

• Stayed: June 2014
CopthornePlymouth_UK, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and your positive comments regarding the Reception staff and room.

I am disappointed to learn that you found the service less than satisfactory in the restaurant area. Excellent customer service standards are something we at the Copthorne hotel Plymouth pride ourselves on and it is clear we did not fulfil that standard on this occasion.

The management team have been notified and re-training has been arranged to avoid this happening again.

I do hope you decide to return to the Copthorne Hotel Plymouth in the future so that we may restore your faith in us.