“Gala the joke” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Plymouth
“Gala the joke”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Booked through gala hotels & when we arrived we were told that no reservation had been made and hotel was fully fully booked. Receptionist was very helpful and told us gala take your money but doesn't book you into hotel & wait for hotel to contact them which is ludicrous. She managed to find us a room at the holiday inn which was very good but more expensive. I would advise anyone not to use Gala hotels booking service as they are a bunch of chancers & almost ruined my weekend break. I was told by receptionist to ring hotel direct next time I book anywhere which is what I will do from now on.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

3 Thank Anthony C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
South of England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

There are other relict hotels in Plymouth, but this one is a particularly fine period piece.

I walked from the station - it takes about five minutes - which brings you to the back door. You go up some stairs and find yourself at reception. All the people I encountered were good.

The room was a great blast from the past with that traditional hotel smell. There is no aircon, but my room had an enthusiastic fan included in the light fitting. Trial and error revealed that one of the pendant chains controlled the fan, the other, the light. The window could be opened sufficiently to get some ventilation but you got a fair bit of traffic noise, even on the fourth floor. I enjoyed the luxury of the large bath.

There is wifi but they want £5 a night for it.

Breakfast was well adapted to the overall tone of the hotel. There was a reasonable selection of things to eat presented (mostly) in steaming containers. The orange juice and coffee were a triumph of economy over pleasure.

The location suited me; I got a decent night's sleep and I paid a fair price but if I ever meet someone I want to impress, I won't be bringing them here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MrOrganist
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Paid £140 for 1 night single occupancy inc. breakfast- one the worst value hotels I have ever stayed in. Decor is shabby, reception area is ok but that's about as good as it gets. No air conditioning in the bedrooms and the windows only open slightly. Wifi was extra and even though you pay for it it's very slow. No gym or sky sports on the tv but at least you can pass time waiting for your emails to download.
It's clean enough but the bed linen smells a bit fusty.
Its close to the train station, but I would not consider this hotel unless you can get it for £40-50.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Plymouth hotels

England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Like going back to the 1980s with faded decor and chintzy furniture. The room was clean as was the hotel itself but it was hugely dated. Staff were fantastic but given the state of the hotel have nothing to work with and I'm not surprised that they really on coach tours of pensioners from the Midlands. Avoid at all costs.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Well located city centre hotel, handy for shops and the railway station and a short walk (10 minutes) to the Barbican. There's a small underground car park which I could see being a problem when the hotel is busy but had spaces to choose from when we arrived on a Saturday afternoon.

The hotel is nothing to look at from the exterior, being what looks like a 1960s concrete block. Internally, furnishings and facilities are as you would expect from a 4 star hotel and we had no complaints with efficient check-in and comfortable room. It's true that the style is now rather dated and the place could benefit from a more modern decor and furnishing regime.

Good value if you get a weekend deal or similar; unexceptional if you're paying full rates.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hednesford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at the Copthorne in Plymouth last Friday, as I was attending my son's passing out parade at H.M.S. Raleigh, and wanted to spend some time with him afterwards, instead of the long drive back home the same day. I managed to book a room online with Hotel.com and only paid £54 which I thought was a bargain. I would have to say it was ideal for my purpopse, and being so close to the town centre and Plymouth Ho, which I had a walk upto on the Saturday, as it was a glorious morning. I have read some of the other comments, and have to say, that I wasn't really bothered about it being dated etc, as I didn't spend much time in the place, apart from the evening to sleep, the room was fine, clean, comfy bed, had a ironing board - iron, trouser press etc, the bathroom had plenty of towels and toiletries, T.V. tea - hot drinks tray. so it ticked all my boxes and at that price was great value for money, parking in the underground car park was £7.50 but at least my car was secure, and I was given a token to use to get out as the shutter doors are down. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, as we wanted directions to a decent curry house, and they gave us directions. So all in all, a great place for an overnight stop, especially if you book it on one of the sites mentioned, otherwise I wouldn't have chosen it, as their prices are slightly higher!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Oldirishharp
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is a centrally located hotel in Plymouth city. It's clean and basic and fine for somewhere to sleep overnight. Parking is in the basement which is secure but there is a charge of £7.50 per night. We included breakfast in our package, it was OK. The hotel is a bit tired and lacklustre. We found the staff to be helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and it was, whether by luck or design I'm not sure