“Great location - tacky hotel”

Copthorne Hotel Plymouth
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location the tired decor and tacky rooms are a disappointment and you can see it's stuck in the 80's
It's muggy and needs a serous upgrading
I won't be coming here again
Only thing keeping me going is the location and Barbican
A word of advise - avoid at all cost
I'm only rating this a toe for the staff who were wonderful

• Stayed: August 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,067)

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed there on a coach tour 2 nights . The room was very stuffy , no air con , no fridge. It was clean enough . But tired , scuff marks on walls . Carpet grubby . Bed small and uncomfortable . Could not open window wide enough for fresh air . 2 out of 10 ...

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Joan G
Reviewed 4 August 2014

A clean hotel and in a good location.
The rooms had everything we need but it was like being stop in time. Needs a styling refresh. The receptionist was very nice and tried a lot to be helpful. The breakfast was not good.

In conclusion it was decent .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed one night on business. The hotel looks very dated from the outside but inside is clean and tidy and the staff were lovely. The room was OK but again very dated and a little shabby - which is OK as long as it is clean which it was. Nice to have a ceiling fan which I find much nicer that aircon. The best thing about the hotel is the location which was spot on for me. I didn't eat in the restaurant so cant comment and breakfast was extra so didn't partake.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I booked The Copthorne, for 2 nights for my boyfriends 30th birthday through a third party web-site. I then contacted the hotel directly by email (using the email address on the web-site) to ask for upgrade options etc, and confirmed I would like to upgrade to a club room with a fridge. I received a reply from Claire Chinnock to say the upgrade had been organised and there would be a fridge in the room.

I was driving up from Cornwall and my boyfriend was driving down from Cosford, so parking was something I checked before hand, and the Copthorne's web-site says this: "The hotel also has a secure underground car park for guests to use" which put my mind at ease.

I arrived early so I would have time to put the prosecco in the fridge and put up some birthday banners etc, to be told that there was no parking available, so I would have to pay to park in the "overflow" car park next door in Sainsburys. The Sainburys car park will only allow a maximum of 2hours to be paid for (by coin only) at one time, which means you need to go back every 2 hours during the daytime to top up the parking. I find this totally ridiculous. This is a four star hotel, with conferencing facilities that should have a better agreement in place which does not require people to interrupt their day every 2 hours to have to physically walk back to the car park to top up parking. I tried explaining to the receptionist that I was unhappy as we were not informed of this at the time of booking. He told me all the other hotels in Plymouth have the same problem, however the point I was trying to make is that I don't care about the other hotels, I booked the Copthorne because it said it had parking and I was told I could get a fridge in the room. His colleague, who was a girl with dyed red hair, had laughed at me when I said I wasn't happy about the parking, which didn't put me in the best mood either! The thing is, I understand that sometimes parking can be limited, however you should warn people when booking of this so that they can make alternative arrangements if possible that won't impact on their plans for the weekend.

After paying for the parking, I received my room key and went to check it. There was no fridge in the room. I went back to reception to explain that I was supposed to be in an upgraded room with a fridge. the receptionist told me there were no rooms available with a fridge. I explained it was part of what I had booked and I would book elsewhere if they couldn't provide a fridge. He told me he "might" be able to call someone to see if one could be moved into the room. I asked him to call while I waited, which he did and the fridge arrived. Why couldn't he just have called straight away instead of making me ask him? Terrible service.

At several points throughout the conversation, he asked me who I had emailed and told me I had probably emailed the 3rd party instead of the hotel. I explained that I had been a travel agent for 10years, so I knew how to email a hotel!

I found the staff to be unhelpful, condescending and rude and I will never go back here again. The decorating was hideous, and obviously hasn't been updated since the 80's. The only good points were the breakfast and the location.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sarahjDublin
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Hotel is well placed for visiting Plymouth. The staff were very friendly and tried hard - apart from the bar man who for some reason chose to keep doing his paperwork in the otherwise deserted bar after I had ordered a round of drinks. He was the only staff member who wasn't charming and friendly.
Our room, and all of the public rooms in the hotel were horribly dated and very definately past their best. Our TV didn't work - despite the efforts of the night porter - who had to admit defeat with it.
One big bug bear was that wifi was not included - which given that most hotels now have free wifi as a given - was very annoying.
Plymouth though is wonderful - and the sun shone which really helped

Room Tip: WAit until the much needed refurbishment has been done.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed at the Copthorne on Friday evening, for a Conference in Plymouth. The Hotel from the outside, looks rather run down. Inside, everything was clean and well presented, simply dated. The Receptionist, most helpful and very efficient. The room again, contained everything you'd need but looks aged and needs a lick of paint!

Breakfast was well served and the staff again, more than happy to help.

Happily recommend the property, just don't expect a usual Millennium Resorts style property....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business