“Very outdated”

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Bridgwater, England, United Kingdom
“Very outdated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I chose this hotel last minute as it is within walking distance of the theatre and located in the centre. When I arrived there was a wedding going on on the ground floor. I could not see reception and was directed to floor 1. Very odd
I asked reception for a parking space in their carpark and was told that it was full up. First come first serve. I
was offered a voucher to park the car in nearby Sainsburys; as long as we were gone by 9.30am the next day. I asked how many disabled parking spaces there were and told 2. For an hotel of over 120 plus rooms there should be at least 6 spaces. We had a reason for being in Plymouth. We came to see West Side story at the theatre to celebrate our wedding anniversary and thought parking wouldn't be an issue. We were lucky to secure a disabled parking space next to the nearby taxi rank and it was free. My point is if my mother had accompanied us, she is in a wheelchair and this would have been inconvenient for us. T

We had a rwin room on the third floor which was clean but a little dated. We looked out onto the dual carriageway and had to keepthe window closed because of the noise.

The staff are helpful. I was disappointed with this hotel and wished I'd opted for The Premier Inn. I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Ludlow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

The best bit about the hotel is the location. Close to the train station and walking distance to all major attractions. The hotel is hilariously dated but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. We weren't planning on spending much time in the hotel so it was fine. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was a disappointment so we ate out instead on the second morning.

If you arrive in the evening, park in the Sainsbury's car park. The hotel will provide you with a notice that will give you free parking until 09:30 the next morning. Saves £7.50 especially if you planning to be up early and using the car the next day.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HeathKieron
west yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location the tired decor and tacky rooms are a disappointment and you can see it's stuck in the 80's
It's muggy and needs a serous upgrading
I won't be coming here again
Only thing keeping me going is the location and Barbican
A word of advise - avoid at all cost
I'm only rating this a toe for the staff who were wonderful

• Stayed August 2014

Travellers are raving about these Plymouth hotels

Mornington Peninsula, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed there on a coach tour 2 nights . The room was very stuffy , no air con , no fridge. It was clean enough . But tired , scuff marks on walls . Carpet grubby . Bed small and uncomfortable . Could not open window wide enough for fresh air . 2 out of 10 ...

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Joan G
Lisboa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

A clean hotel and in a good location.
The rooms had everything we need but it was like being stop in time. Needs a styling refresh. The receptionist was very nice and tried a lot to be helpful. The breakfast was not good.

In conclusion it was decent .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
West Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed one night on business. The hotel looks very dated from the outside but inside is clean and tidy and the staff were lovely. The room was OK but again very dated and a little shabby - which is OK as long as it is clean which it was. Nice to have a ceiling fan which I find much nicer that aircon. The best thing about the hotel is the location which was spot on for me. I didn't eat in the restaurant so cant comment and breakfast was extra so didn't partake.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I booked The Copthorne, for 2 nights for my boyfriends 30th birthday through a third party web-site. I then contacted the hotel directly by email (using the email address on the web-site) to ask for upgrade options etc, and confirmed I would like to upgrade to a club room with a fridge. I received a reply from Claire Chinnock to say the upgrade had been organised and there would be a fridge in the room.

I was driving up from Cornwall and my boyfriend was driving down from Cosford, so parking was something I checked before hand, and the Copthorne's web-site says this: "The hotel also has a secure underground car park for guests to use" which put my mind at ease.

I arrived early so I would have time to put the prosecco in the fridge and put up some birthday banners etc, to be told that there was no parking available, so I would have to pay to park in the "overflow" car park next door in Sainsburys. The Sainburys car park will only allow a maximum of 2hours to be paid for (by coin only) at one time, which means you need to go back every 2 hours during the daytime to top up the parking. I find this totally ridiculous. This is a four star hotel, with conferencing facilities that should have a better agreement in place which does not require people to interrupt their day every 2 hours to have to physically walk back to the car park to top up parking. I tried explaining to the receptionist that I was unhappy as we were not informed of this at the time of booking. He told me all the other hotels in Plymouth have the same problem, however the point I was trying to make is that I don't care about the other hotels, I booked the Copthorne because it said it had parking and I was told I could get a fridge in the room. His colleague, who was a girl with dyed red hair, had laughed at me when I said I wasn't happy about the parking, which didn't put me in the best mood either! The thing is, I understand that sometimes parking can be limited, however you should warn people when booking of this so that they can make alternative arrangements if possible that won't impact on their plans for the weekend.

After paying for the parking, I received my room key and went to check it. There was no fridge in the room. I went back to reception to explain that I was supposed to be in an upgraded room with a fridge. the receptionist told me there were no rooms available with a fridge. I explained it was part of what I had booked and I would book elsewhere if they couldn't provide a fridge. He told me he "might" be able to call someone to see if one could be moved into the room. I asked him to call while I waited, which he did and the fridge arrived. Why couldn't he just have called straight away instead of making me ask him? Terrible service.

At several points throughout the conversation, he asked me who I had emailed and told me I had probably emailed the 3rd party instead of the hotel. I explained that I had been a travel agent for 10years, so I knew how to email a hotel!

I found the staff to be unhelpful, condescending and rude and I will never go back here again. The decorating was hideous, and obviously hasn't been updated since the 80's. The only good points were the breakfast and the location.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple