“Excellent service”

Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Plymouth
“Excellent service”
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We had our reception for our wedding here in February. The service organising the reception and during the night was exceptional. They were very organised and helpful. We had lots of contact before the wedding, and the staff were always helpful and eager to please. On the night ALL staff were brilliant, even down to little things like helping my husbands grandmother who was in a wheelchair. The food was plentiful, although I didnt eat any as was too nervous! But all the guests commented on how nice it was, they even kept restocking! The only downsides were the prices were quite high in the bar, but no different to other hotel prices. Also the decor was rather dated, however everywhere was very clean and tidy. The room was nice and big, but very basic and there was nothing to suggest it was a bridal suite, maybe some flowers or something would help?
All in all an excellent venue for a wedding reception, we didnt have one complaint from our guests and thoroughly enjoyed our night. Would highly reccommend.

• Stayed February 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
swindon
Reviewed 25 July 2010

... but lucky i did not have to look at the outside
surprused it's a 4 star, more; more like a 3 star
on line found it for £40 / night, which means if you want a hotel in the centre of plymouth it does the job
cannot comment on the food

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
birmingham
Reviewed 22 July 2010

The location of the hotel can't be faulted. Very central and handy for the shops and sites. The staff were welcoming, incredibly helpful and polite. The price for bed and breakfast and the convenience of a late checkout time was very good. However, the room wasn't really up to four star standard: poor lighting in the bedroom and bathroom made it very gloomy indeed; the lack of plugs for electrical appliances was frustrating; the old fashioned TV just took up lots of room; there was no air conditioning and the ceiling fan wasn't up to the task in the sweltering heat, and opening the windows was a task in itself as the latches were broken; the decor was just tired and rather grim, and the storage space limited. All in all, the staff were great (although rather hit and miss with giving directions to local sites), the food in the restaurant was very good although a bit pricey, the location was good but the room was quite poor.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Westminster
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Booked 2 day stay in a club room on the internet with aircon a priority. Turned up to be told that the hotel had overbooked on club and I was being downgraded. In fact not even told- but worked it out when could not find any of the facilities in the room! Sweltered for 2 days and since I was having to work there, this was a serious issue. Would have left had I been there for longer.

Hotel itself is an ugly example of the architectural brutalism of the sixties- in fact thought that I had booked with Intourist for a Soviet era tour of the workers' republic. Layout equally weird (reception on first floor?). Restaurant/bar area decor depressing.

Upsides? Well the staff were good and the restaurant service was commendable. Food gets 6.5/10 although the menu was limited. Avoid the freebie house wine.

Unlikely to return unless I get nostalgia pangs for Skodas, Trebants and Cold War atmostphere....

1 Thank dplatt
CopthornePlymouth_UK, Revenue Supervisor at Copthorne Hotel Plymouth, responded to this review, 20 July 2010
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay here at the Copthorne hotel Plymouth. As a team, we welcome all feedback from our guests, be it positive or negative and use this information as a tool to improve our level of service and improve guests satisfaction.

I would at first like to apologise for the overbooking situation on the room type you had reserved. This is a very rare occurance and I am sorry to hear that you did not receive a suitable explanation of the situation on arrival.

With regards to the hotel's outside appearance and decor, as a team we are aware that the hotel is in need of a slight refurbishment and we are expecting this to happen very soon.
Whilst we know that our product can be seen as dated, we do strive to ensure our service standards are excellent.

I am pleased to see that you were pleased with the attitiude of the staff and that you had chosen to dine in our restaurant. I do hope that you decide to return to the hotel so that we may restore your faith in us with an improved standard of service across the hotel.

Should you wish to discuss this matter any further or would like to make another reservation, please do not hesitate to contact me direct at the hotel.

Kind regards
Claire Webb

Travellers are raving about these Plymouth hotels

Delhi
Reviewed 26 June 2010

Rooms are cosy and nice...free internet connection and movies...Value for money....food is very good specially the platters....service was average, could be slightly better...

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay here at the Copthorne hotel Plymouth.
I am pleased to see that you were impressed with the faciltities during your stay here.
I do hope that you return to the hotel soon so that you can see an improvement on the level of service you receive.

We welcome all feedback from guests as a tool to improve our standards of service and I thank you again for taking the time to post your review,.

Many thanks and Kind regards
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2010

Through work, I have had to stay in Plymouth 3 times during the last month in 3 different hotels.

In fairness, the Copthorne has been the best hotel for me so far, my room was very clean, with plenty of room.

Well positioned in Plymouth, shopping centre next door. Secure parking.

They even posted an invite under my door for a chat about my experience of my stay, I didn't take up on this as I was busy, but nice to see they actually make an effort for customer feedback.

Breakfast was self serve hot and cold food, very good too.

Nothing special, but I would make a point of staying there again in future, was satisfactory and far better than 2 other hotels I stayed at in Plymouth.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
CopthornePlymouth_UK, Revenue Supervisor at Copthorne Hotel Plymouth, responded to this review, 15 June 2010
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay here at the Copthorne hotel Plymouth and will be returning in the future. Your feedback is very welcome and I will pass on your comments to all the departments invovled.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind regards

Revenue Supervisor
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2010

I was greeted by a stony 5 minute silence from the surly reception staff who grudgingly acknowledged me after I cleared my throat. I was standing right in front of them and it was midnight with no-one else around. This was the typical staff attitude over my 3 night stay. The hotel does functions and other guests are seemingly an annoyance. The TV didn't work, toiletries were not replaced and the 70's furniture is a micro-biologist's dream. Parking is a hassle at 3 pounds a day, if you can find a space in the basement. To get your car out you have to collect a token from reception which you put in a machine to open the garage door. To get back in you have to get out of the car and buzz reception on the intercom. The rooms have no air conditioning and are hot. Poor value for money when compared to the likes of Future Inns and Jurys Inn.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank jerseydevil201
CopthornePlymouth_UK, Revenue Supervisor at Copthorne Hotel Plymouth, responded to this review, 8 June 2010
Dear guest,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay with us here at the Copthone hotel Plymouth.

Please accept my apologies for the service you received during check in at the hotel and the issues with our car park. Please rest assured that both matters will be investigated fully.

Whilst it is never pleasant to receive complaints, we regard all feedback as most valuable as this enables us to constantly strive to improve our standards throughout our hotel.

I do hope that you decide to stay with us again in the future and would like to offer my personal assistance in making any future reservations here. I

f you would like to do so, or wish to discuss the matter further, please contact the hotel on 01752 224161 and ask for myself.

Many thanks and Kind regards