“Family Suite - 3 night break”

The Grosvenor Plymouth
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Check in was smooth and pleasant, our room wasn't too far away and close to the breakfast rooms and reception and bar.
Breakfast was self service, except for the cooked breakfast where an order was taken as soon as you were sat comfortably and you could have what you wanted rather than sticking to standards. Customer service was excellent, as was the beds.
Hotel was clean and nicely decorated, complementary toiletries refreshed every day. Able to have a bar tab and added to the room which saved carrying money.
Provided plates and crockery for one night when we had take away at the hotel. 5 min walk to town and right on the Hoe. Total bill (including bar tab) was extremely reasonable.
Will definitely stay again next time we come to Plymouth. Couldn't recommend enough. Thanks to everyone at the hotel who made our stay a pleasant one!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank dazlin01

Reviewed 22 October 2012

Stayed for one night only during a visit with my daughter to explore Plymouth and its University. We were both offered a very warm welcome on arrival and offered help and advise i and around the city. Our twin room facing the road, we both found to be quiet, very warm,and modern with very comfortable beds and spottlessly clean.
The bathroom small in comparison with other hotels we have stayed in, but hey! this is an old Victorian building with loads of character, you dont sleep in the bathroom!! Would recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted a short stay to discover Plymouth and surrounding area. Thank you we hope to return.
The Gardners.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Phillip G G
Reviewed 21 October 2012

The property is nice,clean and modern. The staff are all very friendly. The breakfast was tasty and came out fast. Has a nice little bar/sitting area in reception which is great to enjoy a pint when you get back from your day.

Overall I enjoyed my stay...except when I wanted to use the wifi in my room or have a shower.

The wifi signal was extremely poor(Room 17) and with it being built into the room price it should be excellent in every room. Very disappointing in this day and age. I had the same problem in another property I stayed at in Plymouth a few years back.

I had a mate also staying and he had great wifi....Guess I drew the short straw. Still no excuse if you ask me...buy some my routers etc....they are pretty cheap these days.

The shower pressure was terrible. Plenty of pressure at the spigot until you divert it to the head. Compounding the problem was the head only had a spray pattern of about 70-80mm wide. Good luck getting a good coverage on a cold morning unless you are anorexic. I didn't realize Plymouth had water restrictions what with all the rain that comes down.

The beds are really firm. I don't mind a firm bed but these are at the top of the scale.

All in all it is a nice little hotel, they just need to sort those little problems out.

Room Tip: Call ahead and inform them you expect a great wifi signal in your room. Bring your own shower head!
2  Thank Brendon F
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I wish I could give 3 1/2 marks, as this is between a 3 and a 4.

The best part of the Grosvenor was the staff, who were friendly and helpful. Otherwise, it was a pretty standard (large) guesthouse.

Common areas, including the breakfast room (which looked like a cafeteria) were very basic. Our bedroom was pretty, but our bathroom was quite tired, tiny and dark, and the shower pressure was sad.

Breakfast was fine, and service was quick. Do stay here, but don't expect luxury!

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, avoid rooms on the higher floors as there are a lot of stairs and no el...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kixonroute66
Reviewed 15 October 2012

This is my 3rd visit and each time I am amazed at the welcome. The rooms are comfortable and although not oversized they are more than adaquate.On previous visits I have stayed at souless chains. A cheery welcome in the morning breakfast is all you could want, good quality food well presented. I look foward to my visits to Plymouth and recomend the Grosvenor to all my Colleagues.

1  Thank David F
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Having been coming to Plymouth for about ten years to see our daughters at University, finally we found this pleasant B & B, shame all our daughters have now completed their studies - so no reason to visit this B & B in near future. Pleasant and charming staff - clean rooms, good breakfast and near to the Hoe - excellent

Room Tip: At least one of the ground floor rooms - is a family suite - very large: one double room with anot...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank carolebin
Reviewed 9 October 2012

The standard double was more like a capsule. I can't think how two people might manage in it.
Noise was a real problem from ventilation, drains and other rooms. They really need to sound proof what looks to be a cheap conversion of what must once have been a gracious building. Service OK but breakfast coffee was terrible from a noisily plumbed machine that shuddered and belched and I've never had such a taste-free scrambled egg. Scrupulously clean, night receptionist very helpful and good location but if this is the no1 pick in Plymouth what are the rest like?

3  Thank bedfordpark