“Well run family business”

The Grosvenor Plymouth
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed for one night during the week - I've previously struggled to find a good standard of accommodation in Plymouth however on this occasion the Grosvenor was a pleasant surprise. The room was well laid out and modern, had a great nights sleep on a very comfy bed. Parking close to the hotel can be a challenge if you don't check in early however you can still park within a short distance safely. I didn't stay for breakfast choosing to visit one of my old favorite haunts Captain Jaspers. All in all a very pleasant stay and will definitely try to book for future visits.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Been staying at this hotel regularly (3 or 4 times a year) for over 2 years as my daughter is at University in Plymouth, sadly my trip on 4/5 Oct didn't meet with previous good experiences.

Mostly good but I book a single occupancy double room and it's a bit tight that despite only reducing the cost of the stay by breakfast charges they only put out coffee and biscuit for 1 and towels for 1. Towels is my sore point I put my wet towels in the bath to be changed as is now pretty universal. They weren't changed but rolled back up and put back in the towel holder rail. So next morning ..... yep had a shower and my towel was not only soaking wet but also musty as it had been rolled up wet and not even left to air. I pointed that out when I checked out but that was pretty much met with a shrug of the shoulders.
Maybe time to try somewhere new!!

Room Tip: Low numbered rooms, I had room 15 last time which was up an awful lot of stairs !!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DMACTring
Paul B, Owner at The Grosvenor Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear DMACTring.

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us and apologies that we didn't live up to our normal higher standards that you have come to expect from us.

With reference to the main issue of the damp towels that were rolled up and put back in the towel rack. Sincere apologies. This is not standard practice, we follow the same as the industry norm and replace all towels left in the bath or shower tray with new and dry towels. I have identified and spoken to the individual responsible - this should not have happened, but I can again only apologise that it did.

With regard to the single occupancy charge of a double room. Firstly, we always make up rooms based on how many occupants will be in it. Generally an individual doesn't need 4 towels and 8 hot drink sachets for a one night stay, and both from an environmental and expenditure point of view it makes no sense to do this as standard - however, as we say in all our literature, we are always happy to provide extra towels and drink sachets for no additional charge, so I would never worry if you don't think you have enough, they are complimentary, you just need to ask.

With reference to the room tariff, as I'm sure you're aware it is pretty universal that there is a premium for an individual using a double room. We reduce the room by £10, which again is pretty standard. We do obviously save from serving one less breakfast, providing two more towels to launder and the odd extra tea and coffee sachet - but this is obviously far less an expense than the £10 reduction we offer.

Apologies again and I do hope you will stay again with us in future.

Paul Bennett
Owner

Reviewed 16 October 2013

The welcome from the staff was very friendly, the room was clean, the bed comfortable and the free WiFi worked well.

Just a couple of observations for visitors. Make sure you lock your room with the key. The lock on the room looks like a Yale lock, so I closed it expecting it to automatically lock. It wasn't until I returned to the room that I found that I should have inserted the key and actually locked the door - I'd left it unlocked during the evening. Luckily it wasn't a problem.

The other minor irritation was the cooked breakfast being served on 7 inch side plates. I've seen this before in self-service hotels to avoid people piling plates high and leaving food, I can understand this and you always have the option of returning for more. I've never seen this in a 'served' breakfast and I felt cheated, single fried egg, single rasher of bacon, very small portion of beans.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Mr Smith.

Many thanks for reviewing your stay at the Grosvenor. It was great to read you received a warm welcome, clean and comfortable room and strong WiFi.

Just picking up on your 2 other observations. Apologies that you weren't briefed on check in regarding the locks on the doors - you should have been. When we first moved into the hotel just over 5 years ago we had a high number of guests locking themselves out of their rooms due to doors swinging shut on the old Yale locks. Not normally a huge problem - unless you have as many stairs as we do! So we took the decision to fit new locks, that do need locking on exiting the room, thus eliminating the problem.

Now with reference to our breakfast portions. Now whilst I will agree that our breakfast plates aren't huge, they certainly aren't 7 inch side plates (9 and a half inches to be precise - just measured them!). I'm a bit baffled as to how, if it wasn't ordered, you only received 1 rasher of bacon, 1 egg and a small portion of beans? Our Full English 'Works' comes with these items, but also with 2 sausages, grilled tomato, hash brown and unlimited toast - am not sure if you had this and are just mentioning that there was only one egg and one piece of bacon with it? Alternatively if a guest asks for eggs and bacon they should get given 2 of each unless they specify otherwise? I wasn't there during your service, so I can't shed any light on it apart from to let you and other potential guests know that I pride ourselves on not being 'tight' at breakfast. The self service options, fruit, cereal, juices, tea/coffee obviously lend themselves to eating and drinking as much or as little as you want. Then our cooked menus invite guests to order whatever they want, and if you haven't had enough then just simply ask for a bit more...

I am sorry that for whatever reason you left a bit hungry. But thanks again for the review and I do hope we will see you again in the future.

Many thanks

Paul Bennett
Owner

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We were very impressed with this hotel and would definitely stay again. All the staff were extremely friendly and the atmosphere was relaxed, very much a home from home. Our family room for 2+2 was compact but comfortable and the breakfasts were great. Really nice to get quality in a small hotel like this - well done!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I have stayed at the Grosvenor on numerous occasions for business trips and in my view, it represents excellent value for money. Rooms are comfortable clean and although the singles are not large, they are ideal for an overnight stay.

Service is friendly and helpful. Breakfast is included and well cooked.

No complaints at all.

The hotel is located right on the Hoe and it is a pleasant walk down to the Barbican for a night out.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Paddockwit
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed here 27th Sept in a family room. No problem parking. Great location, near sea, shopping, restaurants. Nice clean breakfast room, plenty of food. Good prices at bar, apart from coke which was expensive, and warm from a bottle ( unfortunate with two teenagers).Staff are friendly, rooms great, just a bit on the warm side, and you can,t open windows far. Couldn,t find one bad review for this hotel, which is why we chose it, and today saw on internet its been awarded best hotel in Plymouth. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a family room, no view, but only 2nd floor, so easy access.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank vball24_12
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We chose the hotel after reading TA reviews. Stayed 2 nights and were most impressed by the ambience of the hotel, the Staff and the location. The owners say they are committed to continuous improvement since they bought the property in 2008. The ethos of the owners is obviously carried forward by the staff, from first impressions, Demi on reception then Cat serving breakfast and the "backroom staff" preparing the rooms.. You are allowed to bring in take away food in the day and use the bar area - not seen that before! Tip, if you can get to the hotel soon after check-in you may be able to park free at the rear of the hotel, else they can arrange a permit the only costs £3 to park in the street. We will certainly be returning to the Grosvenor next year.

Room Tip: No lift so if you have problems w/ stairs request a low floor room. The hotel staff asked us if we n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple