“Nice seaside B&B”

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Dubai
“Nice seaside B&B”
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights, staff very friendly and helpful when I needed access to a PC. The rooms are ok but because it's a big old regency style house the bathrooms are small. Also you need to be fit to lug your case up and down many flights of stairs, no lift in other words. The breakfast was great. The bar, lounge was warm and friendly. Parking is around the back in a mews, we didn't have any problem getting a space, but the staff can give on street permits as required. Nice play to stay, close to the sea and also a nice Thai restaurant next door. Free wifi is also useful.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Great all round hotel, location and prices.
Stayed there as a base to tour around the area in October. Really nice atmosphere with very helpful staff with advice on the area. Hotel recently refurbished to a very good standard, spotlessly clean and well maintained. Breakfasts were excelllent.
Very quiet location at the time of year which would change in the high season. Parking numbers tight at rear of hotel, but free in the streets around from 1800 till 1000 next day. Hotel can also provide guests with a low cost daily parking voucher. Liked the room we had at the back of the hotel, as there was no road noise and slept well every night.
Only slight issue for less able guests was the lack of a lift, though we had no trouble carrying our bags up the short flights on wide staircase from reception.

Room Tip: Quietest rooms would be at the back of the building.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Minnx
ipswich
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Another great stay at the Grosvenor, I always use this hotel when here on business, the rooms and service always impress and the standard remains consistent, this is my 8th visit now.

Addeded bonus is a small but well stocked bar to relax in after a hard day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed in room 17, which is just along the corridor up a small flight of stairs.

The entrance, lounge and dining areas are really lovely and inviting. A very encouraging start to our one night stay.

A lovely greeting by the charming receptionist, told us where to find our room.

We walked to our room, struggled a bit to open the door and walked in. There was a damp smell within the room, not a massive room but adequate for two people. The smell of damp however was quite off-putting.
The room was clean and the bed comfortable. We had the view of the back road and a block wall. I realise that some of rooms will have the rear facing view but the block wall view was a little disappointing.

The breakfast was absolutely fine, with lots of choice. A nice fruit salad, with good quality natural yoghurt. We had poached and boiled eggs to order which were really very good.

The hotel would certainly have got another blob if it wasn't for the damp smelling poorly positioned room.

We may stay again, in the hope of a better room.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed for one night during the week - I've previously struggled to find a good standard of accommodation in Plymouth however on this occasion the Grosvenor was a pleasant surprise. The room was well laid out and modern, had a great nights sleep on a very comfy bed. Parking close to the hotel can be a challenge if you don't check in early however you can still park within a short distance safely. I didn't stay for breakfast choosing to visit one of my old favorite haunts Captain Jaspers. All in all a very pleasant stay and will definitely try to book for future visits.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
TRING
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Been staying at this hotel regularly (3 or 4 times a year) for over 2 years as my daughter is at University in Plymouth, sadly my trip on 4/5 Oct didn't meet with previous good experiences.

Mostly good but I book a single occupancy double room and it's a bit tight that despite only reducing the cost of the stay by breakfast charges they only put out coffee and biscuit for 1 and towels for 1. Towels is my sore point I put my wet towels in the bath to be changed as is now pretty universal. They weren't changed but rolled back up and put back in the towel holder rail. So next morning ..... yep had a shower and my towel was not only soaking wet but also musty as it had been rolled up wet and not even left to air. I pointed that out when I checked out but that was pretty much met with a shrug of the shoulders.
Maybe time to try somewhere new!!

Room Tip: Low numbered rooms, I had room 15 last time which was up an awful lot of stairs !!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DMACTring
Paul B, Owner at The Grosvenor Plymouth, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear DMACTring.

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us and apologies that we didn't live up to our normal higher standards that you have come to expect from us.

With reference to the main issue of the damp towels that were rolled up and put back in the towel rack. Sincere apologies. This is not standard practice, we follow the same as the industry norm and replace all towels left in the bath or shower tray with new and dry towels. I have identified and spoken to the individual responsible - this should not have happened, but I can again only apologise that it did.

With regard to the single occupancy charge of a double room. Firstly, we always make up rooms based on how many occupants will be in it. Generally an individual doesn't need 4 towels and 8 hot drink sachets for a one night stay, and both from an environmental and expenditure point of view it makes no sense to do this as standard - however, as we say in all our literature, we are always happy to provide extra towels and drink sachets for no additional charge, so I would never worry if you don't think you have enough, they are complimentary, you just need to ask.

With reference to the room tariff, as I'm sure you're aware it is pretty universal that there is a premium for an individual using a double room. We reduce the room by £10, which again is pretty standard. We do obviously save from serving one less breakfast, providing two more towels to launder and the odd extra tea and coffee sachet - but this is obviously far less an expense than the £10 reduction we offer.

Apologies again and I do hope you will stay again with us in future.

Paul Bennett
Owner
Fareham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

The welcome from the staff was very friendly, the room was clean, the bed comfortable and the free WiFi worked well.

Just a couple of observations for visitors. Make sure you lock your room with the key. The lock on the room looks like a Yale lock, so I closed it expecting it to automatically lock. It wasn't until I returned to the room that I found that I should have inserted the key and actually locked the door - I'd left it unlocked during the evening. Luckily it wasn't a problem.

The other minor irritation was the cooked breakfast being served on 7 inch side plates. I've seen this before in self-service hotels to avoid people piling plates high and leaving food, I can understand this and you always have the option of returning for more. I've never seen this in a 'served' breakfast and I felt cheated, single fried egg, single rasher of bacon, very small portion of beans.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Mr Smith.

Many thanks for reviewing your stay at the Grosvenor. It was great to read you received a warm welcome, clean and comfortable room and strong WiFi.

Just picking up on your 2 other observations. Apologies that you weren't briefed on check in regarding the locks on the doors - you should have been. When we first moved into the hotel just over 5 years ago we had a high number of guests locking themselves out of their rooms due to doors swinging shut on the old Yale locks. Not normally a huge problem - unless you have as many stairs as we do! So we took the decision to fit new locks, that do need locking on exiting the room, thus eliminating the problem.

Now with reference to our breakfast portions. Now whilst I will agree that our breakfast plates aren't huge, they certainly aren't 7 inch side plates (9 and a half inches to be precise - just measured them!). I'm a bit baffled as to how, if it wasn't ordered, you only received 1 rasher of bacon, 1 egg and a small portion of beans? Our Full English 'Works' comes with these items, but also with 2 sausages, grilled tomato, hash brown and unlimited toast - am not sure if you had this and are just mentioning that there was only one egg and one piece of bacon with it? Alternatively if a guest asks for eggs and bacon they should get given 2 of each unless they specify otherwise? I wasn't there during your service, so I can't shed any light on it apart from to let you and other potential guests know that I pride ourselves on not being 'tight' at breakfast. The self service options, fruit, cereal, juices, tea/coffee obviously lend themselves to eating and drinking as much or as little as you want. Then our cooked menus invite guests to order whatever they want, and if you haven't had enough then just simply ask for a bit more...

I am sorry that for whatever reason you left a bit hungry. But thanks again for the review and I do hope we will see you again in the future.

Many thanks