“Good place to stay”

Cassandra Guest House
Ranked #19 of 80 Plymouth B&B and Inns
“Good place to stay”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my ten year old for a night to do some shopping and catch a show at the Theatre Royal. Was met at the door by Jeff who helped me find a bargain parking space and helped me in with my bags. Lovely really helpful guy. The room was big, Victorian, yes dated but fully functional. Don't stay here is you are the sort looking for knick knacks to pinch, plush towels and lots of optional extras, this is a basic room with a basic purpose. We were given keys and were free to come and go as we liked, Jeff helped us out with a handy map and directions and the location in perfect for the Theatre, high street, the Hoe and Drake circus shopping.

Had a lovely warm shower, the toilet and plumbing is a bit noisy tho. Sleep was cosy enough although the room did smell a little musty, but the beds and pillows were comfy. Seagulls are the biggest annoyance wingeing all night.

Breakfast was a simple affair in a cosy room - choice of juice and cereals followed by a full english or a range of eggs and toast. Plenty of it and very tasty all with really kind friendly service.

This is a basic does what it says on the tin place. You sleep, eat and check in/out. It is in an excellent location and the hosts are really lovely which makes all the difference. It is a great price for what you get and i would definitely return. If you are looking for high luxury then avoid, but for a functional, cheap, friendly and practical stop I think you'd be hard to better the cassandra. :)

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Stripery

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Grimsby
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed for a week (15-20th June) as our son's boat (HMS Tireless - T Class Sub) was coming home on her final voyage, had a great time and well looked after by Jeff and Judy, breakfasts to die for & beautifully cooked and presented.....nothing was too much trouble for our charming hosts and we will return again, thanks guys you did us proud, Tom & Shirley, Grimsby.

Room Tip: We had the ensuite shower, worth booking to get it but Jeff is upgrading all the rooms with walk in...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shirley0716
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Clean & tidy throughout, fantastic breakfast lots of choice... juice,cereal,full English,toast,tea/coffee. Great location right beside Plymouth Hoe, short walk to Theatre Royal/shops/restaurants/The Barbican........Will be using again..thanks

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Howard P
Reviewed 19 September 2013

The rooms here are very pokey and outdated. Their is one shower-room which is shared and you can hear all people's activities!! Although the breakfast was served hot it was tasteless and cheap. Others waited half an hour for their breakfast to arrive!! Close to all amenities but not a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Ok for a last minute find
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank topcat210869
lichfield
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I went to Plymouth with my family for my son's graduation ceremony.We stayed at the Cassandra which is owned by Judy and Jeff and booked 2 en-suite roomsThey have family rooms and double rooms.Everything was very clean,the beds were really comfortable,excellent flat screen TVs,tea/coffee in rooms and we were allowed to order take-away food and eat it in our rooms!Judy and Jeff are lovely,friendly people who can't do enough for you.They let me park my car in their yard as there were no spaces and Judy even parked it for me as it was a bit of a tricky space.Jeff kindly drove it out and parked it in a space on the road while we were at the graduation.Breakfast also was perfect.The B&B is in a quiet road 5 mins walk from the Hoe with its beautiful views and very near to the town centre,the Uni and Barbican.I cannot fault anything about the Cassandra and would recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in Plymouth..

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 6 June 2013

The owners are very welcoming and friendly at the Cassandra and if you're travelling in by train the place is fine in terms of location; a quick cab ride from the station in a nice little part of town.

The seafront is close by and both the Hoe and Barbican (the two main areas of interest) are within walking distance. The owners are very helpful with directions as required.

The breakfast here is top class. For the money you pay for the stay it is really fantastic. The breakfast room is nicely set up as well.

The rooms are the main issue with the place being very old fashioned and in some cases, very small. A refurb and new beds would be a good idea. Also the shower facilities are shared so if you've got a problem with this - be aware.

If you're in need of a cheap base run by nice people the Cassandra is a good choice. Don't expect the earth for the money thought!

Room Tip: Room 3 is quite good. Avoid 2 which is tiny.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I stayed one night here in December. Prior to my stay they were really friendly, called me on the day I was due to check in to see if I needed anything and approximately what time I would arrive. When I arrived, I was greeted warmly by the manager and her child, I asked for an iron and I was given an ironing board and iron to carry all the way up to my room along with my luggage which was on the top floor! Then during the night I woke up because I couldn't sleep and the room was freezing, they had turned of the heating and I couldn't get it back on. Because it was the middle of the night there was no one to contact so I just had to deal with it!

Next day I ordered a full english breakfast which was good, the other manager was extremely friendly, called me by my name etc. However when I decided to leave my luggage to collect later on, it was left in the dining room unlocked and when I came to pick it up it was still there. Luckily nothing was missing but I had a laptop in my bag, amongst other things. Also there was no wifi which was very disappointing for me.

I don't think I'll ever stay here again.

Room Tip: Bring extra warm pjs if you're going in the winter.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business