“Meads”

Invicta Hotel
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
“Meads”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Our stay was excellent. The owners were extremely welcoming and family friendly. They are really good with the children. The staff are all friendly and helpful. The facilities are great, and the breakfast is excellent, would recommend and book again for next year. Thank you

Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Myself and my partner really enjoyed our stay at this gem of a hotel. From arriving we were made to feel welcome and the staff were super efficient in booking us in and informing us of information to know about the hotel and the area itself. The room was comfortable and clean with a lovely view from our window. The bathroom was stylish and met our needs for a short stay with the shower being better than the one in my own home. The location was quiet and convenient for sight seeing Plymouth. We were there for a comedy event at the local Pavilions. Upon returning after the comedy event we were greeted kindly by the owners and friends. We had a drink, chat and a laugh in the very nice decor and modern bar. Upon returning to our room we slept very well in a clean and decent bed. In the morning i can say i did not wish to get up and out of bed. Upon going downstairs for breakfast we were greeted with a friendly and courteous lady who was well organised and prompt in seating us and seeing to our every need over breakfast. We were informed the night before by the owners of the great breakfast. This was the case and our full english was both very tasty with good quality produce being used and kept us going most of the day. On checkout we were promptly seen to and given a good farewell. I had driven down in my car and was glad to have off road and safe and secure parking at the rear of the hotel. Overall we could not fault our stay and will return the next time for another event in Plymouth. We will recommend this hotel to any friends or family.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Devon
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed at the Invicta for one night recently after a trip to the Theatre Royal to see West Side Story. The hotel is ideally situated being in a relatively quiet street but a stone's throw from the Hoe and minutes from the theatre. It was a comfortable place to stay with fluffy towels and bathrobes in our room and tea and coffee making facilities. The staff that we met were very helpful and welcoming and we thought the breakfast outstanding with a variety of options on offer. Would certainly stay at the Invicta again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phinneann
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

As soon as we walked into the hotel, we felt very welcome. It is an excellent location, right next to Plymouth Hoe. A short walk along the sea front to the Barbican Area or into town in the other direction. The staff are very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. Very obliging. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The cooked breakfast, which is done to order, was the best I have had in long time. Everything was hot. If that is not your thing, there was a very wide range of cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurts.

This was a business trip for us, but we liked it so much, we booked an extra night. If I return to Plymouth, I will definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the hotel. The main road was a bit noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Martin O
samton
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was recently treated to a lovely surprise night out with an overnight hotel stay by my husband to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Living in the City, I have often walked past the hotel but never had the opportunity to go inside.
From the minute I entered the hotel I could tell that the Staff and the Management team were very customer focused and nothing was too much trouble. The reception area and entrance hallways are extremely clean and well decorated, this is the area that you see first and for me can often make or break my impression of an establishment. We were shown to a fabulous room with all of the mod cons that I would expect from a hotel/chain of a higher standard. The bathroom and in particular the shower was well presented, hot and supplied a great shower. In particular the bed was comfy and the bedding clean, fresh and the room smelt amazing. Whoever cleans the rooms etc here, really takes pride in their work.
We had a couple of drinks in the bar area where they had a great range of beverages at really affordable prices, comfy sofas/chairs to sit on and relax in a lovely cosy atmosphere.
Plymouth Hoe is just 2 minutes outside of the hotel and the historic Barbican area an easy 5 min walk with an array of bars, restaurants, shops etc.
Breakfast the following day consisted of a vast choice and I couldn't really think of anything else that could have improved it for me or my husband, the dining room was light, airy and well decorated. Again, nothing was too much trouble for the Staff and they were extremely professional.
Check out was efficient and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to others, in fact I'd like to stay again myself!
Just one other thing, on leaving our room, some of the other rooms were being cleaned and had their doors ajar, they also looked as nice as ours!

Room Tip: Rooms at front of hotel have great views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank samton
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We enjoyed our three night stay at this hotel, the room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was very nice and filled us up for the day. The staff were very friendly and could'nt do enough for us. It is an excellent location for The Hoe and as we were here for Armed Forces Day it was ideal. We will definitely stay here again whenever we are in Plymouth.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnnieBob2014
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We paid £85 for one night in a small smelly room under the roof. The worst thing was the bathroom that was not very clean and smelt so strongly that we avoided to use it. The breakfast was ok, but on a low level.
The only really great thing about Invicta is the location only 2 mins away from The Hoe.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simone M
invicta_12, Owner at Invicta Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
I have read your review and appreciate the time spent in leaving it. I will, as I always do, reply with the utmost transparency and with factual comments.

Upon checking into the hotel you and your colleague were allocated room 31. This was the room requested and booked online by you. The web site clearly states the type of room and location within the hotel and room tariff. You requited a free upgrade but we explained that due to the hotel being full we were unable to offer you any form of upgrade. The hotel smoking policy was also reiterated to you in both English and German as were the times that breakfast is served.

I am therefore somewhat bemused to read your comment that the room was under the roof and In the attic. The hotel is a Victorian building with eight rooms on our top floor. These are accessed by stairs from our second floor landing. As stated on our web site we do not have a lift as we are a Grade II listed building. Yes, it is a long way to come down to street level to have a cigarette should you wish to smoke. The price of the rooms on this top floor is lower to reflect the position within the hotel.

I am sorry that your thought your bathroom was unclean. It is a pity you did not come down to the front desk and make your complaint known at the time or used the telephone provided in the bedroom to contact housekeeping to voice your concerns rather than to complain publicly after departure. I have checked with housekeeping, have inspected this room myself, spoken to other guests and even called in our plumber to check the pipework as a precautionary measure and have to state that we have found the room to be perfectly fit for use. The only comment I did receive from other guests was regarding the smell of not only cigarette smoke but also that of possibly illicit substances being smoked during the period of your stay.

We pride ourselves on the quality of our breakfast which is cooked fresh to order. This sometimes results in a wait of up to twenty minutes at busy periods while the breakfast is prepared. When guests come down after breakfast has finished and everything is cleared away then obviously the self service selection has gone. However please note as a small family run hotel I was cooking breakfast that day and was happy to cook your breakfast for you. The waitress also served you with tea, coffee and toast. After you had eaten your cooked breakfast I came from the kitchen and asked if everything was ok. You made no comment.

To summarise. Small family run hotels invest a lot of time, effort and money into their businesses.
We are proud to look after our guests and endeavour to offer them the best of everything including friendliness, cleanliness and service. It gives us great pleasure to do what we do. We also realise that in all businesses there is room for improvement. So valid constructive comments, criticism and reviews are always welcomed. But please always inform the hotel of your concerns at the time of your stay so that the hotel can then address such problems.