“Not bad.... but let down by service...”

Langdon Court Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Lots of good things to be said about this place...
- proximity to Plymouth and yet a lovely peaceful country location
- newly refurbished building and rooms
- comfortable beds
- food that's of a reasonable quality and not trying to rise above its station

However all that is let down by service....
- the kitchen was on the slow side (e.g. whilst waiting at reception, I witnessed it take 25 minutes for them to deliver a cooked breakfast to two guests sitting in an otherwise empty dining room .... the speed of service for my dinner the night before was also very much verging on the slow side).

- I mentioned "whilst waiting at reception" above .... well, that was very much the case.... I needed to checkout early to go to a meeting in town.... I went down to the reception desk at 07:40 .... nobody was there.... I went to check the breakfast area twice... no staff to be seen there on either occasion.... had to wait 20+ minutes (was checking my watch) until I got a chance to ask the waitress on her way back from serving the two gentlemen having the early breakfast. It was a similar situation at checkin the night before..... nobody at the reception desk, I had to wonder down to the restaurant/bar and ask the waitress for help.

I don't mind if you're not manning the reception desk 24x7 .... but please have some form of means for people to summon attention, there's no excuse in this day and age ... you've got all sorts of tools at your disposals (e.g. paging buzzers, remote electronic bells ..... none of which will exactly break the bank).

- I should also mention that there appeared to be signs of damp around the windows in the bathroom in my room.... for such a newly refurbished hotel this was rather worrying and may well be an indication of damp issues with the building itself !

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank John1450

Reviewed 19 April 2014

What can I say. A fantastic day. All of our guests had a fantastic time. The meal was out of this world. My brotherinlaw is a chef and remarked on what high quality it was. The staff were very welcoming and could not do enough for the wedding. A good nights sleep in a beautiful room was followed by a lovely West Country breakfast. If I had to organise another wedding I would definitely go back to Langdon Court.
Mother of the Bride 12/04/2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Mary P
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We went for dinner, bed & breakfast on a really good deal (we are quite local) because of my interest in the house's previous owners. It is in a fabulously rural and beautiful location - like many old estates, they really are out on a limb, and although we live in rural surroundings ourselves, we loved the approach, the quietness and the views. It is rather smaller than the photographs suggest, both buildings and gardens, and all the more intimate because of it. We thought it might be a bit "weddingy" and corporate, but being privately owned and run it totally escaped that awful corporate wedding venue feel. It was beautifully furnished in what is probably best described as "modern country house style", with restored/uncovered Victorian tiles and a clever mix of modern and traditional, which even I who generally prefer old furnishings in old buildings thought was elegant and attractive. We had a fantastic room at the front of the house with four poster and window seat looking out over the new lake(s) and vineyard - kudos to the owners for continuing to add to the gardens and estate. The bathroom over the porch was truly magnificent - all limestone and underfloor heating. Oh, and the meal - it was really great, and the service efficient and charming. We enjoyed a drink or two in the bar/lounge and the quite small dining room was really beautiful. To those moaners who mention damp/cracks, decor issues - this is a very, very old building with a lot of granite and stone. Having lived in some similar, but less old buildings, I can assure them it is virtually impossible to eliminate all evidence of this. I thought the maintenance was pretty good all things considered - stand fast the 3 lightbulbs not working in our bedroom and bathroom. I would really give 4 1/2 stars if allowed - possibly only the light bulbs (minor) and various uncollected glasses round the grounds and walls from a very busy weekend detracted. Apparently the incessant demand for a spa is going to be addressed (not my thing). But if you want a really good meal and gorgeous room in great surroundings - go. Oh, and the owners were incredibly kind and patient about my wittering about the house's history.

Room Tip: Front facing is lovely.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cornwallgurl
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My comments are based solely on the attendance of a friends wedding at this delightful location in thick fog!
However despite the weather and eating food catered for about 80-100 people we had a lovely experience. The location has that quintissential English Country house charm and is tucked away down narrow lanes. So although a cliche in many ways it provides a great back drop for those aspiring to the traditional four weddings feel. I'm sure Jane Austin would not have not felt out of place here, the location Wembury even sounds familiar...Pembury"
Catering for weddings in the UK is nortouriously bad and usually a rip off, I have no idea what our friends paid for their day but we both enjoyed our three course meal, the duck was succulent, the lamb perfectly cooked medium rare and the classic sticky toffee pud a well executed treat, so well done to the catering staff, you have renewed my faith in wedding catering. The bar and interior rooms hired for the wedding were large enough yet some how cosy, they were even able to squeeze in a four piece live band. Our only one gripe was a large ugly white van parked up against one of the dining room windows spoiling the ambiance whilst we ate, this was promptly removed but we had to ask. So despite the weather I take my hat off to the Langdon court for pulling off a fabulous wedding day for our friends!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Hanster707
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in room 24 having originally been allocated room 22-slightly confused about the room types as 22 was significantly larger than room 24 but both charged as same room type. Window sills and curtains were all damp and the mouldy. The large bed was actually two beds pushed together! Breakfast was really disappointing - there were no croissants on a continental choice during our two night stay. I also found an egg shell in my eggs benedict. Make sure you choose the right room for you as not all have stand up showers.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank sweetsnay
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is the second time I have been for a meal here, I do not know how they managed to improve upon my first visit but they did... We were met at the front entrance by a very polite young man who ensured that we knew were to go and let us know where the rest of our party was, we then went to the bar for pre-lunch drinks then into the very pleasant and well kept gardens to enjoy them. All our needs were attended to by very smartly dressed staff, nothing seemed to much trouble for them, they were extremely discreet in their attendance and considering that the place was very busy I was amazed at just how relaxed and at home they made everyone feel.

We enjoyed the set menu which had just the right amount of choice to choose from, there were 4 small children in the party and they had four totally different meals (there was enough for eight children and it was all very appetizing),our food was mouth watering, flavorsome, cooked to perfection and served beautifully. All this and the staffs attention to detail and friendliness made our visit so very special, I cannot thank the staff and management enough for all they did.

I have no hesitation in recommending Langdon Court Hotel and Restaurant and hopefully I will be returning there to enjoy the comfort, relaxation, grounds and of course the food....please keep up the traditions and good work.

Room Tip: We didn't stay in the hotel so I cannot pass comment only to say that if what I experienced is a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Colin M
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We attended and stayed here last night for a friends wedding. It was all perfect. Canopies were delicious, then the 3 course meal was lovely. It has a very cosy, but still upmarket feel to the place. Rooms were lovely, such a comfortable bed. The bridal suite was something special. Best of all was having photos outside yesterday afternoon, with no rain, no wind, and a tiny bit of sun coming through.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends