“It's not the Ritz, but I'm happy”

Kynance House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #24 of 78 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Brighton, United Kingdom
“It's not the Ritz, but I'm happy”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I was here for a 2 week workshop, up at the Marine Biology Association and for the 2 weeks we stayed it was very comfortable.

The staff were very friendly and never grumbled if I needed anything.

The decor is very dated - kind of reminded me of staying in Blackpool when I was a kid.

Breakfast I'd give 4 out of 5. Sausage a bit rubbish, but everything else very satisfied. The unlimited train of toast is a massive thumbs up!

Room very comfortable - although a little cold, but I did have a heater in my room and they did turn the heating on upon the colder weather. Bed very comfortable, slept very well. Bathroom decor very 60's but functional. There maybe a little bit of a problem with damp, but being in a basement room with the heating off, it is too be expected. Once I warmed the room with the heater, all the moisture in the air had gone.

Perfectly located, you can see the Hoe from the front door and 5 minutes of walking one way will see you at the sea front, and in another direction in the centre of town,

Other notes, I brought my own towel and toiletries so cannot comment on them, and did not pay for the room so difficult to reflect on quality of value.

I'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: This was based on staying in room 19
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rob3_142

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Dawlish, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Well the hotel is clean a phone call before we arrived was good so was looking forward to a good visit, but not what happened, told parking was available not there as such down a very narrow road to back of hotel. Many steps to access hotel not good, so we decided to park outside good job I have disabled badges even then it was hard to park, im aware parking in plymouth is bad , thats why we choose this place as we told parking was available, disappointed by this.next towels in room first day 2 only none there next day, no shower products available, only a bar of soap, had to go buy my own towel and shower products which was more expensive , if known would pack my own as we were only coming for 2 days try to travel light, told bar and room where you could sit with family , well still looking for bar, we there for a family reunion, so my aunt met at hotel couldnt even find someone to make us a drink, so we went over to my cousins hotel where we got tea coffee etc there we made to feel welcome wishing we booked there now,breakfast well not good eating my cereal cooked breakfast put down before I finished cereal so it went cold urg! I thought ok perhaps try it again next day husband just had toast as the breakfast the day before had given him a bad stomach, glad to leave as not what we hope for,went to other places for food we were a big group of 10 so hotel missed out on us spending money there.

Room Tip: Hope you can park take your own towels shower products as 2 available on first night none after that...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank diana f
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This Guest house is ok we booked it for 9 weeks but around week 4 were told we hadn't booked any more weeks so we had to book else where. for a week and now on the last week which I made sure we had booked they have done the same thing and kicked us out. Since then i have found out that Plymouth is hosting the Fireworks Champs. and all the rooms have doubled in price. A trick I expect in somewhere like London but not Devon.

Room Tip: Make sure you get confirmation in writing
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank nathan f
Kladno, Czech Republic
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The hotel is calm and comfortemble. Staff is plesant. Breakfest was tasty and rooms were clear. For somebody mattresses should be uncom for table because they are soft. It wasn´t problem for me. Mrs. Margaret is very friendly and residence was wery smooth.
Ivana from Czech Republic

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I travelled with an excursion tour, we spent three nights at Kynance hotel. It is a nice place to spend night there, we were very satisfied with all service, delicious breakfasts and we met there polite and smiling faced personnel. Kynance hotel is near to Hoe, lighthouse and coast and Barbican as well. We would like to say many many thanks.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013

The Kynance is not a five star hotel, but you are looking at Bed and Breakfasts and so you are not looking for a five star hotel! I stayed at the Kynance at the begging of June 2013 and this review is from that time. I was there with a group of friends for a scuba diving weekend. We were going to be spending the days diving and the evenings talking and eating to give you some idea of how I used the room.

The room I had was in the eaves and quite warm when I entered. The room however had a window I could open and this brought in a refreshing breeze. Being in the eaves the room was not huge but also was not small, two friendly people could have shared it without too many problems. The room was clean with an onsuite shower and toilet. The room also had a kettle with coffee and tea making items and a television.

With room key and front door key in hand I went exploring the Hoe which is a short walk away with excellent views over the sea. The Marine aquarium is not far away and on the Hoe is a big wheel for excellent views over Plymouth.

The family who own and run the Kynance were very friendly and the breakfast in the mornings very plentiful. Breakfast is served from 0700 to 0900 and is quite extensive with a choice of cerials, coffee or tea or orange juice and a cooked breakfast with toast. As I was diving I do not like to have a very big breakfast as this has proved a problem in the past I also have a problem with wheat and lactose. With eggs, bacon and mushrooms on the menu I was very contented with my breakfast but other had the toast, beans and tomato as well, I hope I have not forgotten any of the breakfast items. A big meal could be had if it was your desire.

Parking is a problem near the Hoe but the Kynance has its own off street parking which is very handy. A great weekend was had with my group which the Kynance helped with. When I was there the Kynance was quite and peaceful and a great night sleep was had by all.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
munich, germany
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Great value in this large B&B run by a sociable family. A short walk to the centre of town is one of the highlights of staying here, along with the friendly and helpful family and staff that run the place. Free parking and hearty breakfast mean I would be more than happy to stay again.

• Stayed May 2013