“VERY disappointed!! Would not recommend to anyone!”
Review of Belmont Hotel

Belmont Hotel
Belmont Hotel
Ranked #63 of 78 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I booked a one night stay at belmont through eviivo, i paid for a family room with an en suite bathroom for a reasonable price of £75 ( not including breakfast) when we arrived we where informed that our room wasn't en suite! And that we were sharing a bathroom with three other people, i was not happy, if i was told this when booking i would never have booked the room!!

When we got to our room the first thing i noticed was that the carpet hadn't been hoovered, not pleasant, shelves where just about hanging on the walls, tatty bed throws id say had never seen a washing machine. The room smelt like they had used a whole can of fabreeze in it I'm guessing to cover up a damp smell, even the bed linen smelt of fabreeze, not nice when we all suffer from asthma!

I was relieved the shared bathroom was right outside our room close enough for our 8 yr old to use through the night, until everyone started using it, you can hear EVERYTHING!! There may as well not be doors its that clear! Not pleasant when drifting off to sleep.

Overall a very run down old hotel, i wouldn't recommend to anyone.I wouldn't be on here complaining in the first place if they were honest with me about the shared bathroom, had id known i would never of booked !!!

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 13 May 2013

Stayed there last week and had room 2 (4 poster bed room for £60 per night). Both our children have gone to Plymouth Uni so we have stayed at a lot of hotels over the last few years. It's in a good location - close to the Hoe, Barbican and town centre. Yes, breakfast wasn't included if you booked through last minute.com but was only £3.50 for a full cooked and if you book direct it's included in the price so can't understand the whinges here. You can't get a coffee and muffin in Starbucks for that! Staff couldn't do enough for you - there was refurb work going on whilst we were there there and owner threw in free breakfasts (without being asked) although we weren't put out as work started after we were awake in any case. Room very clean. Parking out front for £2 per day. Yes as reviewer said no evening restaurant or bar but get a life - you're right in the centre of Plymouth! Recommended restaurants - China House, Mediteranneo, Positrano. Bars - too many to name in Barbican.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CaptMorgan1964
Reviewed 9 May 2013

It was another last min dot com bookings job, my fault really I thought acc would be easy to find in Plymouth on a wet week in April, but oh so wrong. I tried the usual Travel Lodge and premier inn but according to my pc there were no rooms in either so I checked Last min dot com and found the Belmont Hotel in citadel road, citadel road rang a bell from many years ago but it was'nt till I got there the I realised why. The only relation this place has to a hotel is the name "Hotel" on the board outside, it does'nt have a lounge it does'nt have a bar it does'nt have a resturant it does'nt have a tv room it also does'nt have a reception, it has a small hatch with doors not much bigger than a pc monitor thats where the money goes in. So far I have'nt had to nit pick on any review and I wont start now. The first thing I was shown when we reached the room was the two walls covered in bubbling plaster and damp (see photos) the television was covered in dust about three four months worth I'd say, on the floor paint chips that had fallen from the damp walls, giving up trying to watch the television I thought I'd read but no luck with the wall lights both although new were'nt working so the only light was coming from the bare bulb in the ceiling, it was like the sun blazing down. (nit pick) Dirty pillow case cheap quilt so either feet were out or shoulders and I'm only 5'7 so after having no choice but to put up with this room I decided to skip breakfast even though I'd paid for it cos if this was the state of the room they expected someone to sleep in I did'nt want to think about the state of the kitchen. This place should be checked out at least by trading standards.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank millsmick
Reviewed 21 April 2013

My partner and I stayed here as a last minute idea to visit plymouth for a night. Booked over the phone and we were given the room with the four poster bed. The room was clean and comfy, nothing over the top, decor is a little dated but nothing a lick of paint and new furnishings can't fix. The owner who treated us was lovely and catered to our every need and the breakfast in the morning was more than enough for us!

For a last min stop, it did the job and the only complaints was it was cold in the room and no duvet (only sheets, but that's a personal choice!)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We have just returned from a week in this hotel while my partner was working down Plymouth....We ordered a breakfast as it wasn't included in the price(strange for a b&b)...me and my partner had a full English was ok nothing to shout about and our 3 year old had just cereal which the choice got less and less though out the week and we thought they surly won't charge us the full 3.50 for that...how wrong could we be...
There was maintance work going on though out the whole stay which didnt really bother us untill Thursday night and they was crashing and banging till at least 8pm in the room above us NOT GOOD....yes it needs a massive upgrade but not at 8pm!!!
We had been upgraded "free of charge" to family en-suite....well the shower was nothing more of a dribble us grown ups had to use the public one..I would off been gutted if I had to pay for the "up grade"
It was a very cold week in march and NO heating was on at all...my partner needed a VAT recipt to claim the breakfast back and the owner didnt understand really what one was.....
All in all I would NEVER return to this hotel....

Room Tip: Do not have the "up grade" or breakfast go to Weathersppons/morrisons....
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

I usually stay in holiday inns so this was an alternative booked by my company. What a fantastic surprise. Period building close to the hoe and city centre. Room was spotless and the breakfast was a treat. The owner was very friendly and advised me on the local restaurants and pubs. Fantastic two weeks spent there while working. Looking forward to being posted back to Plymouth so i can stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Hampsteadrunner
Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend needed a suitable hotel / b&b to stay at whilst seeing a show at the pavilions.

This was within 5 minutes if the venue and in comparison to other places, it had a fantastic price.

On arrival we were greeted by a friendly young man who offered us an upgrade for a small price, we were happy to accept, and was very pleased with our decision. We were in room 2, a lovely four-post bed with an en-suite, I think it is only common sense to ask for one, rather than assume.
It had the three things I would want: a comfy bed, a kettle and space.

This is not a 'leisure hotel' with fakery, nor is it trying to be one. To put it simply I felt like I was staying with friends and being fully looked after. As we are a young couple it was great to be treated like normal customers.

I slept well as the bed was'nt too soft for my back (which I suffer with), it was quiet and warm.

Breakfast: Very friendly service, did'nt have to wait long. The lady was very attentive! Orange juice, tea/coffee and an english breakfast, which was all perfect.

Everything expect the room gets a 5 out of 5, as it was all fantastic, the rooms decor could be updated a little, but is still a very good 4 out of 5.

We hope to stay again soon, thanks!

• Stayed: November 2012