“My wife's first ride and she loved it”

Ranked #11 of 187 things to do in Plymouth
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I've had a fantastic day out, my wife and our daughters, the trail was easy enough for my wife as a learner, while the girls had much fun riding along the trail and enjoying fantastic view.

2  Thank florin m
"beautiful walk"
"national trust"
"the pub"

Reviewed 25 April 2014

My hubby and I only bought mountain bikes last year (April 2013), after about 20 years of not cycling. So certainly for me, our very first cycle up through the Plym Valley was a bit of a challenge until I mastered using the gears! But we have now cycled here on numerous occasions and it really is a lovely place to enjoy the outdoors.

You can start at Coypool Park / B&Q car park, then for the first leg of your journey cycle alongside the Plym Valley Railway line. This bit of the trail is relatively flat... but further out elevates to a steady incline. You can cycle to the end of the track, then on to Clearbrook and further to Yelverton - all off road. Of course the easy bit... it's all downhill on the way back! Through the woods, you can pick up GPS so can use a mobile app such as Map My Ride to record your journey. This will show you how far you've cycled and the elevation of the climb.

A couple of words of warning though... be careful of dogs not on leads and people walking in the area. The woods are quite sheltered and it can get pretty humid in warmer weather, so take plenty of water. On windy or rainy days, the woods do give some shelter from the elements.

Just be aware there is no street lighting along this trail, so even with lights, you can barely see where you're going - especially if going downhill where you would be going faster. From my own experience last Autumn, getting caught out as the nights started pulling in, I do not recommend cycling here in the dark!!

During daylight hours though, this really is a perfect place to cycle for those of all ages or experience. It is just such a lovely scenic trail that will take you over bridges with outstanding views, through a disused railway tunnel and out onto Dartmoor.

1  Thank Sapphire1812
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have been here many times over the years and I can say this is one of the most beautiful areas of outstanding natural beauty!
It is a must for any visitor. The only thing you need to watch out for when you are walking on the cycle route, is simply, the cyclists themselves! A small minority do use it as a race track! So it is best to keep your dogs under control on the main cycle path because of these cyclists. The river that follows along the route of the old railway line is one of the most beautiful rivers you can ever visit. The area is quite vast in size and thoroughly recommended! The different parts of the rivers below the route is welcoming for a dip in on a hot day! Dogs love it, for which I witness when I visit this area. The Plym Valley Railway is also recommended to visit on certain Sundays. You can have a ride on the train up to Plym Bridge itself on the short journey from Marsh Mills, Plymouth. Children would love it, as well as railway enthusiasts!

1  Thank Mark T
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Well paved and maintained cycleway.

Start at Marsh Mills Park & Ride and just follow the signs.

An enchanting route through some wonderful countryside, viaducts, bridges, tunnels and then Dartmoor ! Simply wonderful.
If you don't have your own bike, hire bikes available from B & Q car park. Pack a PicNic, take as long as you like, it's downhill all the way back.

2  Thank DEXREE