“Easily the most spectacular modern church interior in Plymouth.”

St Peter and The Holy Apostles
Ranked #72 of 178 things to do in Plymouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Wyndham Square, Plymouth, PL1 5EG
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I came here because the Tripadvisor listing led me to the website and I then decided I had to go and see. Like most of my friends and probably my generation I have no faith to speak of, but I am curious about powerful creeds ritual and symbolic architecture. I do not know how this old church managed to raise the cash for this spectacular reordering of this large but very traditional and I suspect late Victorian interior. No matter, what has been done is fantastic. I follow the meaning of the various gestures and the flow of the shapes and functions. It is seductive. I can imagine being mesmerised and drawn magnetically through the mass and the sacraments. For me the whole process has no personal meaning but you see the clergy and the believers carry it through. This building strikes me as being more intense and enveloping as any big screen surround sound and 3D cinema or outdoor rock concert. Very very different from St Andrews in the city centre or the Catholic Cathedral a few yards up the road from St Peters in Stonehouse. If you are drawn to the high church Anglo-Catholicism as practiced here or simply want to look at a beautiful functional modern interior then come and look at this place.

22  Thank PlongeurV

Reviewed 14 April 2012

Slightly over the top ritual for my fringe agnosticism and easy going response to established religion but I do like the interior of this church.

23  Thank ChasC_12
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Got taken here by local friends. Very interesting experience. It is an Anglican church which behaves a bit like a Roman Catholic church. It's charismatic and personable priest is addressed as Father and has just been in the New Years Honours list for his extemsibe work for the wider community. The inside and outside of the church are impressive. There is a lively congregation. The main difference between this and mainstream Anglicanism is the unwillingness to accept the ordination of women priests. Since our visit we had a look at the church web site and the FiF link and now understand a bit more. Don't regret out visit at all and would recommend free thinking folk to go watch listen and maybe engage. We will however remain sporadic but mainstream Anglicans.

25  Thank JoeS424
Reviewed 4 August 2011

The spire of St Peters Wyndham Square is an unmissible landmark from all over the southern half of the city and the building itself set in the well conserved Georgian early Victorian square is impressive. The interior which is as large as any church in the city, has undergone major restoration, changes and reconfiguration over at least the last decade. It is a seductive environment, tastefully put together. It is all the more remarkable for being in Stonehouse, one of the poorer and less advantaged areas of the city. But is this what we used to call a High Anglican establishment or a big catholic church. I am not very good at 'reading churches' although I am broadly familiar with 'low' or everyday Anglican practices
and habits. This church has large, in your face realistic crucifixes, numerous iconic images, the stages of the cross and all that. Looking at the paraphernalia, the references to mass etc and calling all the clergy 'Father' makes me confused. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. I had always presumed it to be Anglican but when I have been to services, baptisms, weddings, funerals etc nothing has been obvious. What I am certain of is that this is an important building and space and worth a visit. Not particularly historical but in modern terms done well. There are pix on one of the website but they do not seem to load easily and from the ones I have viewed they do not remotely do justice to the reality. Well worth a look. There is a cafe at the back but I am not sure when it is open.

13  Thank Jannerbloke