“Really enjoyed the boat trip to Morwellham”
Review of Sound Cruising - CLOSED

Sound Cruising
Lifton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Really enjoyed the boat trip to Morwellham”
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I took my family on the Plymouth Princess from the Barbican to Morwellham Quay. Since this review is about the boat trip I won't mention Morwellham (which was excellent) as well. I have written a review about Morwellham separately.

The boat took two hours to get to Morwellham and my family, which included young children as well, really enjoyed it. The scenery was amazing and the weather quite good. The crew were friendly and the captain chatty. He did a commentary about the points of interest along the way which was interesting. The boat looks well used and I was told that it was actually built in 1920. The prices weren't too bad considering they included the entry to Morwellham. The return journey was very pleasant and it was nice to relax and watch the world go by.

Visited August 2011
5 Thank Florakitty

Devon
892 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6,639 helpful votes
“Nice boat, expensive booze, churlish crew.”
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Got cajoled into a Janner booze cruise. Gather after work on the quay after a pint or two in eg the Dolphin. Pile on board. Lucky warm balmy evening. Slightly stern staff. No clear rules. Passengers, mixture of sitting neatly on seats like 1950s Dockyard and Warships trip, others necking very expensive drinks from the bar. OK if in large good natured company, otherwise experience palls after an hour or so. Not really enough space. Constant warnings and then chiding from the crew. Welcome return to harbour and then a proper night out.

The problem seems to be that unless you are a Womens Institute on a summer cruise or the contents of an organised coach tour, the evening booze cruise are an inevitable clash between large boisterous group of non sailors intent on a pub crawl afloat with a surfeit of exhibitionist bravado and the boat company who seem to do these very profitable jaunts at sufferance and have to do what they can to stop people being sick in an enclosed space, breaking fittings or falling overboard. Not something I will need to try again.

Visited August 2011
5 Thank Jannerbloke
Plymouth, Devon
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“The Party Cruise versus the Party Pooper Staff!”
Reviewed 11 August 2011

This company have three ships and run day trip cruises to the public and coach trippers. They also seem to do a very good trade in private party hire / "booze cruises".

My daughter had previously been on one of these evening party cruises and decided that as she had enjoyed it so much that it would be ideal for her 18th party. I booked the flagship "Spirit of Plymouth" for the party and decided that four hours starting at 7pm would be ideal and then would finish in time for the partygoers to go clubbing in Plymouth afterwards.

The company provided a very good DJ who I paid separately and was very pleased with him as he kept the party inside going. More than can be said for the miserable staff! Without warning I was called up to the skipper where he informed me he had contacted the owner who had given him permission (without any prior consultation with me)to cut our party cruise short by one hour. The only reason he would give was that the people on the top deck were "doing his head in"! I was actually lost for words at the way we were treated bearing in mind that it had cost well in excess of £300. I found it hard to enjoy my evening after that and felt I had let my daughter down. The minute they realised that it was an 18th the staff made it quite clear they didn't like 18th parties( probably the ID thing which is fair enough by me). Because some of our guests were not yet 18 there was probably not much profit in the bar or not many buying as the drinks were ridiculously expensive.

Despite the staff attitude, our guests did have a good evening cruising out into Plymouth sound and dancing "some" of the night away. The drinks are expensive, staff dodgy(apart from the DJ), excellent boat with a dance floor, indoor and outdoor seating,two toilets (very little toilet roll, no towels or soap).

I could not recommend this company because of the poor way we were treated, however if they were to improve customer service...

Visited October 2010