“Ment to be child friendly”
Review of The Royal Oak Hooe

The Royal Oak Hooe
Ranked #295 of 764 Restaurants in Plymouth
Price range: US$4 - US$42
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Royal Oak is the old lady of Hooe Lake. The sign says circa 1857. Well with some research we have found a landlord in situ in 1799, but we know it's much older. The south facing beer garden was once a covered wood store, the remains of the walls now form the beer garden boundary. She even survived the Blitz on Plymouth, standing proud amongst the rubble.Hooe is a quiet village on the outskirts of Plymstock in Plymouth. It has the appeal of being close enough to and far enough from Plymouth all at the same time, quite quirky really. The local transport is by car, taxi, bus (number 2 First National) and water taxi via Mountbatten.Having said that we are on the South West Coast Path and welcome walkers and cyclists too. Adjacent to the beer garden is a public slipway. So you can visit by boat (tides permitting) if so inclined.We are very proud of our homestyle cooked food, made fresh to order. There may be a wait at busy times so we do recommend making a booking.We have a good selection of beers (including real ales), wines and ciders. We welcome families and dog owners at The Oak.
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Hi, I have noticed that your stating your a child friendly put however, as a mum to a young child you have no baby changing facilities yet you have nappy sacks in the toilets! I personally don't want to change my child on the floor so if you want to live up to the expectation of "child friendly" you need a better changing facility

1  Thank Anonymous1905
TheRoyalOakHooe, Owner at The Royal Oak Hooe, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

thank you for your comment. we are a child friendly pub and you don't need to change your child on the floor, there is a space in the ladies just for this. (it can be seen in the pictures of the toilets in the photo section). we did have full facilities too but sadly due to the constant theft from the changing area we had to make the hard decision to stop stocking the area. the nappy bags have been kept to help with odour control, but even these are stolen for dog poo. perhaps we could try again, but I think the same will happen, but I am willing to try. being a parent myself I know and understand that going out with children is a military operation. and I always had a full bag of changing essentials with me including clothes. I find it strange that you never commented in the pub at the time. i would have happily explained. I feels strange to be responding via tripadvisor on this.

louise

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Cant actually give a review of the food as the 'cook' was so rude we didn't even stay to finish our drink.
We looked online for a cheap mid week pub meal, specifically a mixed grill for my husband, with a bit of choice for me. This seemed to fit the bill.
Greeted by a friendly enough bloke upon arrival, we were quickly served drinks as it was near empty inside. The menu on the table stated that mixed grills must be ordered with 24 hours notice- which I find very bizarre anyway- but I enquired at the bar as this was not shown on the menu found online earlier the same day. The man quickly checked with the kitchen- a barrage of loud, rude and unacceptable yelling followed from the kitchen. We even heard the man nicely ask the chef to come speak with us (not that we had asked him to) and the 'cook' screamed that she would not and it was tough! The man seemed embarrassed and scuttled of- I'm not sure he if he was aware we'd heard all the commotion.
Unfortunately the only thing we were served was a huge helping of bad attitude. I've no idea if she was staff, management or owner but businesses like this sadly do not deserve or value custom and is the reason we shall never return. Not that I expect they will care judging by that performance!

3  Thank Sarah W
TheRoyalOakHooe, Owner at The Royal Oak Hooe, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

we are so sorry about your visit. we had changed the menus that day and there must have been a delay on the website with the old menus coming off. the staff are very much aware that we dont carry the full mixed grill as standard stock and we do need the 24 hours notice now. the kitchen is small and there is only one chef on duty and they would have been unable to come out to talk to you as there is no-one else to cook in their absence. The chef was cooking other meals at that time, when they were able to come out you had aleady gone. I will private message you a money off your meal voucher, should you wish to return by way apology.
once again sorry.
louise, mick & team

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Lets start by getting the context right.This is a good old fashioned local pub.Yes its a PUB, not a chichi gastrotemple, and it is inhabited by real local people. Judge it accordingly sniffy reviewers!

But the food is well above run of the mill pub food.My steak was exceptionally good.Nicely brown and crispy on the outside but genuinrly rare and melting inside, just as I wanted. Chips were real hand made and not out of a freezer. The chef here knows what he is doing and I shall certainly come again.

Have lunch here and then walk round the watetside to MountBatten - a good day out.

2  Thank Ian T
TheRoyalOakHooe, Owner at The Royal Oak Hooe, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Dontun
Thank you for your review of our pub, so glad that you can see we are a pub. We really don't bill ourselves as a swanky establishment. We are very much a local, where everyone is welcome.
We just like to promote that we do good honest home cooked food. All cooked from scratch by Mark our very switched on chef. The chips - well we did trial of fresh chill (as people had requested them) and this sparked a debate, this was in the pub and online. The result of which, we are glad to say (and this was a whitewash) was proper hand cut chips and to make them even better we now cook them in beef dripping.
We look forward to your next visit and keep an eye out for our BBQs too!

Louise, Mick , Mark & Team

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Nice setting welcoming atmosphere food ok service a little slow but not many staff on the thing that put me off was as you looked around everything looked like it needed a good clean carpets and tables where sticky and the toilets were rank

TheRoyalOakHooe, Owner at The Royal Oak Hooe, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Firstly thank you for your review. We appreciate all feed back. We are a small family run pub, who like so many public houses try our best in the current economic conditions. We ceratinly don't want to end up as just another statistic. As owners we are very much hands on and work alongside all our staff. Our food is all freshly prepared to order, so it can take a little longer be served, espcecially during busy periods. We will give our cleaner your review comments, but for the purpose of this review however, we have not given them to her yet. We can't, by the media of photos show how 'sticky' our carpets and tables are? We can only post that they are cleaned daily and cleaned after use. We can however publish photos of the toilets, we have nothing to hide and feel that perhaps people who use Tripadvisor to help plan where they may eat can then judge for themselves how 'rank' the toilets are.
Once again thank you for your feedback,
Louise, Mick & Team

Reviewed 1 June 2014

A welcoming staff did little to embellish the ambiance of this pub.If you like one armed bandits flags of St.George and multi coloured chalk boards this is the place for you. A rather ordinary menu had run out of fish ,for fish and chips, by 7.30 and the food served up was edible but unappetising. I realise that people work hard in catering but this is a place I would have passed by without a second glance in town, as it was I was encouraged on the strength of previous reviews to pay £8 for a taxi to a venue totally unsuited to me.I am posting this review , not to pan the people who run this place , but to inform people realistically of the venue . The price of £19.50 for 2 meals and pint of lager was extremely reasonable but to be fair was probably about what it was worth and the decor was , well distressed is the only word I can think of for it!

1  Thank jayabee63
TheRoyalOakHooe, Owner at The Royal Oak Hooe, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

I'm sorry to read of your bad experience at our pub. The St Georges flags are up as we are a local pub for many people and those people are supporting England in their world cup run. We are proud to support our nation and have a few flags up. The muti-coloured chalk boards are outside of the pub and are there to catch the eye with simple single colour icon style infomatics. We only have one 'one arm bandit' in the corner of the pub. Our menu is in no way ordinary and is kept refreshed. Our kitchen shuts at 8pm, so to have run out of fish by 7.30pm isn't that bad, especially when busy. We'd rather buy in fresh fish every day from the fish market, than have it sat around and that applies to all the meat on our menu too. We do offer a booking service and food can be preordered for the later bookings to secure the dish you require. This is really necessary during busy periods Wednesday to Sunday . We don't have the biggest kitchen and storage is restricted, which is why our hours are limited and we recommend booking. The menus are usually on the website, but as they are currently going through a seasonal change they are currently not there. You have said your meal was edible, but unappetising? I wish that you'd reviewed the food further I would then have feedback I need for Mark on a specific dish and make sure the problem is rectified. We really take all our reviews seriously. I'm also surprised that you didn't give feed back at the time. You've also stated that the price of the food and drink is extremely reasonable, but this isn't reflected in your review scoring? Distressed decoration, well she is over 200 years old and started life as a barn, so you won't make a sleek bar out of her and to be honest we wouldn't want to. She's full of 'old' character. The outside is a little worn, but there are plans and tenders being dealt with there for a much needed lick of paint. I can tell from your review that you won't be back. That's a shame, but each to their own.

Louise, Mick, Mark & Team.