“Luke warm meal”
Review of Tap and Barrel - CLOSED

Tap and Barrel
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A busy food pub in an inner suburb with a reputation for hearty meals. Confused by at least one of your contributors with a a Harvester pub at Crabtree Plymouth but they are a couple of miles apart and entirely different. The tap and barrel is a St Austell Brewery pub. Favoured by families and local residents in the Mutley/Lipson ares especially on Sundays. Worth an entry.
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The veg with the carvery was lovely, lots of choice. The beef was very tough, which could have been just on that day, but what. Spoiled the meal was that it was luke warm to nearly cold, had to ask if they could micro wave it to make it hot... The meal at the price they charge was good value if only it was hot, what a shame!

1  Thank Jan K

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Eaten here twice, food is very good. Quite like the fact that children are not welcome there are plenty of other family pubs around to cater for them. Being able to bring our dog is a bonus...he is well behaved and doesn't have tantrums. The only thing that let's this pub down is the tatty furniture and orange decor.

1  Thank Madcow1959
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Second visit to this pub. First was good. Wife had Carvery second time around and beef was tough as old boots. She went to get a bit more Veg rather than complain and was told by Manager that not allowed to have more. Wife told her beef was tough which was greeted with a dismissal and because she was "too busy" a refusal to talk it through. Every Carvery we have ever had allows as much veg as you like. Not this one apparently and wife was told it said so on the menu. No it doesn't. Went to see them again today to challenge treatment and spoke the the owner. He did not want to know. Just said he backed his staff and that he didn't have to advertise no extras as it was his pub and he could do what he liked. Spent £200 on the 2 visits and it will be the last. Neither he nor his Manager could care less if the customer liked the foood or not or if there was any problem or not.

4  Thank Maurice H
Reviewed 17 January 2014

The Tap and Barrel doesn't look particularly beautiful and the interior could do with a bit of attention - the tables in particular are very tatty - but the place was clean and the food was excellent. Even the humble pizza that my daughter had looked very good. The fish pie was tasty, hot and served with a generous side salad, though I would have preferred a little less salad dressing as it rather overwhelmed the fish pie. The barmaid/waitress was very polite, helpful and cheerful. As this pub is just around the corner from where my daughter lives I'm sure we will be revisiting it.

1  Thank Eliza B
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My wife and I used to regularly frequent The Tap & Barrel as their food was always a good standard and it is quite close to our house; until the day we tried to take our son in and were turned away. This however is not the occasion I am referring to, we attended the Tap & Barrel for dinner as our son was at a relatives and we were celebrating the opening of our new shop. Whilst we were eating and enjoying ourselves a couple entered with a DOG and sat down in the seats just near us! We were disgusted why is it acceptable to have a DOG in a restraunt area of a pub but it is not acceptible to have a CHILD some moron came up with this ridiculous rule and needs to be shot! I DO NOT want to see a DOG sat licking its GONADS whilst I am eating my dinner!!!! Sort it out!

5  Thank Ruff2013