“Not up to location”

Valenti's Cafe and Bar
Ranked #552 of 742 Restaurants in Plymouth
Cuisines: British
Description: The old park keeper's lodge was converted to a small cafe soon after WWII. It is the only cafe actually on the Hoe and has spectacular views over the Hoe and well out to sea as well as towards the adjacent Charles II citadel and the rural headlands on either side. For a long time it was mostly ice-cream but for a decade or more has done snack lunches and teas. There is a large exterior eating garden area surrounded by a lowish traditional hedge and immediately to the west is the local council's exhibition flower display garden. This traditional building and cafe deserve a Tripadvisor listing.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Hugely disappointing because I had hoped for better food and service in this low hedged lawn with fantastic views of the Sound. The menu is basic, poorly put together simple dishes and averagely priced. The staff don't appear to have had training in or experience of simple easy courtesies and our snack lunch was flat. My mother who is spending the week with us told me that the experience reminded her of the 1950's and 60's. Unremarkable food served almost like in a primary school and no effort to improve the feel of the place. That said today between 12.30 and 1.15 on a Monday lunchtime maybe two thirds of the tables were full, there were several well behaved dogs and almost all the other customers were senior OAPs. I must have been the longest female (barring staff) by thirty years. This place needs a lift. The building is a bit pretty but the cafe ought to be twenty times better.

3  Thank Josie W
There are newer reviews for Valenti's Cafe and Bar

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

This is one of those little cafés that appears to base its livelihood entirely on location, which in this case is pleasant. The view is good and the immediate area is steeped in maritime history.

Unfortunately that is all that can be said positively. I was struck by the barrage of negative signage about the place, as noted by other reviewers. The scone from my cream tea was dry and powdery, my tea was bitter and the coffee they served us was poor. And not a hint of a smile from either of the staff members i encounter either. Shame.

4  Thank mrwobbly
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stopped here for a cuppa tea, decided to sit outside as the weather was beautiful, I went in and ordered my drinks and a polite young girl served me.
My drinks were put in to metal pots as most places do and I had a pot of water which is once as you usually have to ask for extra water.
Great views
Only complaint was a woman's dog was sat near us barking at everything and everyone so the quiet time didn't last long, I did think a member of staff would have a word with the lady about her dog but they didn't, that was my only let down

1  Thank Tiffani4125
Reviewed 23 April 2014

THIS PLACE IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE! One of my family member who happen to be in a wheelchair was told that they dont accept wheelchair inside, so we have to sit outside. Despite the fact it was cold outside, this is classed as discrimination. Besides the fact we would have been the only people inside makes the staff and manager seem ignorant and out of principle we will not be returning.

Also upon entering we found the place does not get cleaned on a regular basis, the floor was disgusting and looked like it hadn't have been washed for months on end.

If you like a place where the staff is nice, place is clean, good service! Well dont come here, cause it wont be for you!

6  Thank SamTaylor4
Reviewed 18 April 2014

An absolute disgrace. I went with my mum who is in a wheelchair. It was sunny but windy so we decided to go inside. Upon entering we were stopped and told wheelchairs were not allowed inside the main dining area. They offered to get a table and put it right by the door, but when we said we didn't want that because it was cold they told us we could not enter. My mums wheelchair is tiny and would not have caused an issue. Upon taking this up with the manager he basically told us to get lost. The attitude of the staff stinks, they look down on disabled people and I can not stress enough to people to boycott this awful place at all costs. If I could have given this place 0 stars I would have. No concept of good customer service what so ever.

4  Thank Nick W