“Lovely place to take children”
Review of Clay Art

Clay Art
Ranked #53 of 177 things to do in Plymouth
Reviewed 12 December 2012 via mobile

I've been to Clay Art 3 times. I have to say I love the atmosphere. It can be very busy but the staff always find time to help. My daughter was painting a castle money box last weekend and the lady couldn't help enough and showed my daughter how to paint it well so the paint would come through effectively. I'm not a big fan of arty things and yet, I can quite happily sit and help my daughter while she paints and might venture doing something myself soon.
Lovely staff, friendly, peaceful and very family orientated. Would highly recommend.

2  Thank berlinlover

Reviewed 12 December 2012

We have used Clay Art many times.
We really cannot recommend them highly enough!
A wonderful selection of bisc pottery is available to decorate and you can take as much time as you need.
There is a sample piece provided so you can tell what the glazes will look like after firing and full instructions are on every table.
The staff are warm and friendly more than willing to do whatever they can to help you produce your own unique piece of art.
The items are usually finished firing and available to collect within a week.

1  Thank Stuart P
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I have used this lovely business for various events since 2005, We have personalised the mugs we gave to our wedding ushers, my husband gave me a decorated plate for a birthday and I returned the favour some years later.

I have also used the business to make gifts for special people including gifts for this Christmas. The range of plates and vases are varied (I have not used the statue collection) and the advice of the staff has been consistently superb. There have been occasions when I have been in while the baby print pieces have been prepared, and look forward to making a memento in due course.

1  Thank Eleanor p
Reviewed 12 December 2012

This is a lovely little shop. I have taken both my children there as babies to have keepsake tiles made of their footprints. Although it is a little awkward to get in with a pram/pushchair, the staff have always been very helpful and accommodating. The tiles are very reasonably priced and the shop also offers other larger plates onto which they will print babies or childrens hand and footprints. The staff are helpful and were patient with my children. They also suggested other tips on how to finish the tile off. Overall I had a pleasing experience and beautiful keepsakes of my children.

1  Thank bdacre
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I have been painting my own pottery at Clay Art for over four years now and I think this makes me well placed to give an honest and balanced view of this lovely little gem.

The business is run by two lovely ladies who are always on hand to answer any of your questions or offer any advice needed to make your experience at Clay Art a great one, nothing is too much for them and they always greet me with warmth and cheerfulness every time I visit.

There are many different choices to choose from when picking what you want to paint, ranging from coasters, mugs, bowls, plates, dog bowls, ornaments, money boxes - anything really, you are bound to find something you can put your masterful painting skills to work on! The list is endless! They even really cool bottle clocks made from, as an example, an old Jack Daniels bottle that has been squashed and flattened and turned in to a clock which is fascinating.

The atmosphere is relaxing and refreshments are on hand in the shape of hot chocolates, tea or coffee, soft drinks and snacks to keep you going whilst your finish your masterpiece.

Once all is done and finished, leave it with them for one week so that it can be glazed and fired in the kiln and then pop back to collect your new shiny piece of genius which you've created! It's really impressive and amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it, and it's such a good present to get for someone. It's special, rather than just buying something off the shelf for someone, make it yourself! What could be better than that!

All in all Clay Art is a brilliant place and I regularly go back there every couple of months to make something new, there seems to always be new ideas and new stock which they have for me to paint my ideas on to.

Fun for all the family really, very enjoyable and a great day out at a very reasonable cost. When you've finished in Clay Art, why not turn right when you exit the shop and go and see the sights Plymouth has to offer on Plymouth Hoe, some of the views are breathtaking! :)

1  Thank BenMason1