“Great location”

Plymouth Backpackers Hotel
Devon
“Great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

I stayed in a private room with my son who was on a weeks work experience.It was only a 5 minute walk to his work, under 10 minutes to the town, 20 minutes to the station and a short walk around the corner to The Hoe. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Nice kitchen and facilities to cook. Room was well equipped with free hot drink making equipment and a sink. There was free tea, coffee and sugar and a choice of free condiments in the kitchen, just had to provide our own milk. Good system with the baskets and labels for food on the shelf and in the fridge. Had a lovely stay. The only downside I would say is it is a bit shabby and the kitchen and shower rooms/ toilets could do with a good clean and I cleaned the skirting boards in my room as they were thick with dust. We had towels in our room, which was a nice touch and the bed was comfortable with clean linen. Thank you Patrick and Matt for a great stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Lee W, Owner at Plymouth Backpackers Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2017
This review was for a different hostel near us that shut its doors 24/03/16. It was called Globe Backpackers but had decided to call themselves Plymouth Backpackers Hotel on Trip Advisor! They were based on Citadel Road and we are based on Union Street. I informed Trip Advisor about this but for some reason seemed unable or unwilling to remove or correct this error.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

I stayed here from October to Christmas and then from January to March whilst studying in my final year at Plymouth University. Broadband is free, the place is warm. I always found the other guests friendly and enjoyed meeting the many different people that came through the door from all round the world and all walks of life. I was here alone and never felt unsafe as a female. The four bed dorm I stayed in was cosy. There are a few problems, the showers aren't always hot and the bathrooms can get dirty but that was due to other guests appearing to not know how to use a toilet.....and occasionally groups can be loud and boisterous but overall it was fun and I passed the last year of my undergraduate life here very happily with new friends from around the world and a great set of memories :D It's not the Ritz but for £16.50 a night and a great weekly rate it's the cheapest place to stay in Plymouth and certainly not the worst. You can cook, hang out and a few minutes walk takes you to the centre of Plymouth or the hoe or the Barbican (20 minutes to the train station, ten to the bus station). They have lockers now and a new sink work top in the kitchen. I found the majority of the staff and people there friendly and would say that like anything you get out what you put in! Don't expect the Ritz but be prepared to meet some lovely people :D

• Stayed October 2012
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

I've stayed at Globe backpackers Plymouth (this have no listing in tripadviser, but is a subsidiary of Globe in Exeter www.exeterbackpackers.co.uk/plymouth/). First of all they have displayed typical green badges from Tripadviser in their main door and reception "featured in Tripadviser" and busted as absolute fake!

On arrival, Mat the receptionist lead me to #5 which had a strange stinky smell and top bunks have got no railings. When I asked him why it doesn't have railings and given the height of the bunks, would it be safe to sleep there, he rather annoyingly asked should he build one for me!!! This 8 bed dorm was full of migrant workers doing construction jobs and assistants working in a local hospital. I was quite surprised how untidy the whole room is and it had no exhaust as well.

I was finally allotted #4 after my repeated requests. This is bit better than the previous one. Average, but I was quite happy there, except when you go to kitchen! There I came across a latino young lady (at least she looked latino) and her anti-Asian comments are way too intolerable! It did happen a couple of times; as if I were an unwelcome guest at the Globe! Wasting time fighting against fools is not my style anyway, so I refrained. This had been one rather exceptional racial incident I ever suffered in England.

Toilets are very untidy, stinky. Wifi is verygood (speed is good too) and is free. Old men working in kitchen are very helpful. See a pic of the reception/dining area with a full-term belly garbage trash projecting out of a mirror/wardrobe! Very very poorly managed place. Overall this hostel is pretty average.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank iFlex
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

Awful place. Communal tv room always full of drunk men who ogled us every time we went near there and no chance of seeing what was on the television. Other people friendly enough but one man over friendly and smelling of beer, he was the cleaner? Rooms not that clean, sheets stained and bathroom showers cold or not working. No paper in the bathrooms or hand wash. Kitchen very small and sink piled up with dishes. Cooker did not work properly and we felt very unwelcome in communal areas. No storage/lockers. Would only stay again if no where else

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yves y

Travellers are raving about these Plymouth hotels

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

I am a long time stayer at the place and the place is the best place in the whole of Plymouth. Very friendly people and the atmosphere is great. There is no better place than this. I came as a temporary stayer but then i never left. The last thing i want to say is come and experience the place for yourself and then we will talk..............

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Tanuj G
Gloucester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I was a long-termer at this hostel; I totally agree with rockside 1. This is a great place to stay, and the location is the best in Plymouth. It's a convenient base to explore other parts of Devon and Cornwall. The staff were very helpful and the guests were a great bunch of people. This is a "good basic hostel". I thoroughly enjoyed myself here.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the house are a tad quieter.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Phil N
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I stayed mid January and found a good basic hostel ,well located,friendly staff,self-catering kitchen at reasonable prices-you get what you pay for

Room Tip: limited number of doubles there-so if you can afford try those
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo