“Worst place to stay! Never again!”

Plymouth Backpackers Hotel
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for one week - worst stay in a hostel ever. Disgusting bathrooms, no warm water and heating for 4 days (!!!!) and rooms, especially the kitchen were extremely dirty. Impossible to cook there. There were many other things that i could write here. I can't suggest this place for anybody - there is another hostel in Plymouth were friends of me stayed which was much better!
You'll do yourself a favor if u go to another place.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karsten L
Lee W, Owner at Plymouth Backpackers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2017

This review was for a different hostel near us that shut its doors 24/03/16. It was called Globe Backpackers but had decided to call themselves Plymouth Backpackers Hotel on Trip Advisor! They were based on Citadel Road and we are based on Union Street. I informed Trip Advisor about this but for some reason seemed unable or unwilling to remove or correct this error.

Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

On arrival the room looked fine (although very basic for not much cheaper than a hotel). Then I got into the bed and found it so broken I was barely able to sleep at all. I woke up in pain on the opposite edge, having gone with gravity in the night.

The lack of toilet paper and soap and extreme snoring of other guests I can live with, it's a hostel after all, but if you can't sleep what are you paying for?

It is very clear that both the mattress and the base are ruined just from looking at them, so the owner must be aware. Also they took money only for the first night and said 'decide tomorrow if you want to stay longer' despite my trying to book the whole stay upfront...

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank TravelFan880

Reviewed 27 March 2013

I stayed here from October to Christmas and then from January to March whilst studying in my final year at Plymouth University. Broadband is free, the place is warm. I always found the other guests friendly and enjoyed meeting the many different people that came through the door from all round the world and all walks of life. I was here alone and never felt unsafe as a female. The four bed dorm I stayed in was cosy. There are a few problems, the showers aren't always hot and the bathrooms can get dirty but that was due to other guests appearing to not know how to use a toilet.....and occasionally groups can be loud and boisterous but overall it was fun and I passed the last year of my undergraduate life here very happily with new friends from around the world and a great set of memories :D It's not the Ritz but for £16.50 a night and a great weekly rate it's the cheapest place to stay in Plymouth and certainly not the worst. You can cook, hang out and a few minutes walk takes you to the centre of Plymouth or the hoe or the Barbican (20 minutes to the train station, ten to the bus station). They have lockers now and a new sink work top in the kitchen. I found the majority of the staff and people there friendly and would say that like anything you get out what you put in! Don't expect the Ritz but be prepared to meet some lovely people :D

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed 29 October 2012

Awful place. Communal tv room always full of drunk men who ogled us every time we went near there and no chance of seeing what was on the television. Other people friendly enough but one man over friendly and smelling of beer, he was the cleaner? Rooms not that clean, sheets stained and bathroom showers cold or not working. No paper in the bathrooms or hand wash. Kitchen very small and sink piled up with dishes. Cooker did not work properly and we felt very unwelcome in communal areas. No storage/lockers. Would only stay again if no where else

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yves y

Reviewed 29 May 2012

I am a long time stayer at the place and the place is the best place in the whole of Plymouth. Very friendly people and the atmosphere is great. There is no better place than this. I came as a temporary stayer but then i never left. The last thing i want to say is come and experience the place for yourself and then we will talk..............

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Tanuj G

Reviewed 29 April 2012

I was a long-termer at this hostel; I totally agree with rockside 1. This is a great place to stay, and the location is the best in Plymouth. It's a convenient base to explore other parts of Devon and Cornwall. The staff were very helpful and the guests were a great bunch of people. This is a "good basic hostel". I thoroughly enjoyed myself here.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the house are a tad quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Phil N

Reviewed 13 February 2012

I stayed mid January and found a good basic hostel ,well located,friendly staff,self-catering kitchen at reasonable prices-you get what you pay for

Room Tip: limited number of doubles there-so if you can afford try those
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo