“Dirty, Dingy & Disgusting Hostel”

Plymouth Backpackers Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Dirty, Dingy & Disgusting Hostel”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE. I've stayed in hostels in South America, Asia and Africa and never experienced such a dirty, smelly and run-down place to sleep in my life. Unfortunately the owner seems to completely oblivious to the horrendous conditions he is "hosting" guests in, and so I do not expect it will improve at all. I don't care how much of a shoestring budget you are on... if you want to feel remotely rested and ready to enjoy your travels, work or whatever brings you to Plymouth DO NOT STAY HERE.

The bathrooms are very dirty and decrepit - taps don't work, shower doors fall off, toilet seats are broken etc. Bedrooms are appallingly dirty and smelly, the bedding is so desperately old and towels falling apart. And there is NO atmosphere here, in fact it's downright weird.

If you read this and book, you know what you're in for. Be smart. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jonathan P
Lee W, Owner at Plymouth Backpackers Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2017
This review was for a different hostel near us that shut its doors 24/03/16. It was called Globe Backpackers but had decided to call themselves Plymouth Backpackers Hotel on Trip Advisor! They were based on Citadel Road and we are based on Union Street. I informed Trip Advisor about this but for some reason seemed unable or unwilling to remove or correct this error.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Filthy house that has clearly been cheaply converted into a 'hostel' and used for 20 years with next to no renovation. Frendlyish owner and reasonably located but I would advise you avoid this place. At £19 a dorm bed its not even good value

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Jeremy W

Travellers are raving about these Plymouth hotels

United States
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I was in Plymouth visiting my boyfriend at the time and used a hostel as a backup for when he made day trips because I didn't have a spare key to his place.

Good thing it was only a back-up.

I arrived and was given bedding and paid for my stay up-front (Wish I hadn't). I was given a 6 bed room and it was empty otherwise. The bedding already on the bed was disgusting. Covered in dirt and looked unwashed and as if it had never been cleaned. There were holes in the walls and they had a container collecting water under a pipe next to my bed. After a long day, I went to shower and alas, no door on the shower. It was sitting outside of the shower blocking the entrance to the shower. I found another shower and quickly left to go out. Locking away all my valuables.

I stayed with my boyfriend for several nights before he had to leave to go out of town. I spent one night in the hostel and heard people loudly talking outside my room until 2 AM and someone came into my room at 9 AM to vacuum. Why on earth would someone vacuum at 9 AM?

I stayed with my boyfriend until he left again and I went out of town as well. I come back from Cardiff to find my previous room COMPLETELY cleaned out. My stuff was gone, my clothes were sitting on a ledge outside of the room and I was running out of patience at this point. They don't have staff there to help you from the office between the hours of Midnight - 3PM, so you're screwed if you get locked out or your keys get stolen or lost. I waited until someone got into the office and asked where my stuff was "Your stuff? What do you mean it's gone?" "Oh, right. We moved you to a completely different room while you were gone."

What kind of business relocates you without telling you? Not only was I scared my stuff was stolen, but they didn't move all of my stuff and left some of it outside the room so that someone else could have taken it. I was so annoyed that I grabbed all of my stuff and left. I moved right into my boyfriend's house. I didn't have enough patience to deal with the Hostel anymore. I dropped my key off and didn't look back. By far the worst accommodation experience I've ever had.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank VallP2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

The Globe is shabby, basic and unclean. Good kitchen, lounge and dining area. The bedrooms and bathrooms really need work - currently have holes in the walls, exposed pipework, damaged plaster, broken shower door, ill fitting bathroom lino flooring.

Pay a bit more and stay in a bnb.

If u really have to stay here out of necessity I would strongly recommend not staying in a dorm with an 'ensuite' (a toilet and sink separated by a short sliding door with no inside handle), which can be revolting noisy.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank el_on_hol
Fort William, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

this place has very helpful staff, hot showers, comfortable beds and a good kitchen, it's got everything you need on a hiking trip and best of all its only five minutes walk from the south west coast path.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed here for quite a few months and it was a very friendly place, tidy and in a good spot near the sea. This place is close to all the amenities of Plymouth. It was suitable for my needs, there were a few minor parts of the house that need improving but no place is perfect.

Room Tip: For longer stays, its cheaper to travel as a group of friends and share a room in bunk beds. For cou...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is a traditional backpackers in a large town house.There is on street parking free at night (£3 per day) The hostel is in very easy walking distance for the Hoe & Barbican and the town centre. Its also on a regular bus route.

The staff are all very friendly and helpful, the whole place is clean, welcoming and cosy.and has the feel of a home from home.

The bunk rooms are exactly what you expect in a backpackers. Some areas are a little tired but they say they are going to upgrade the showers soon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo