“lovely location”

Travelodge Plymouth
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Travelodge is the place to stay in Plymouth we had 4 wonderful nights there the staff were friendly and very helpful lovely clean and welcoming, the rooms were comfortable clean and roomy. central to everything

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
2  Thank Rosemarie D

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I was visiting a friend in Plymouth as part of a short break in the south west, so I booked the Travelodge well in advance. On arrival I was greeted by a friendly member of staff on reception and was allocated a room on the 2nd floor. Before the lift worked you had to put your room key in a slot inside the lift, remove it and then press the required floor button. This seemed a bit strange to me but it only needed to be done the once.
My room was very clean, spacious with a huge bed. There were ample tea and coffee making facilities, a TV with a limited selection of channels and a decent sized bathroom. The bed itself was very comfortable although the room was a bit on the warm side. You were in a catch 22 situation, keep the window closed and be too warm or open it and have traffic noise. In the end I left it slightly open and was able to sleep reasonably well.
For some reason not all the available channels worked on the TV but as I was only there for 1 night it wasn't a problem.
Wifi was available throughout the hotel, free for the 1st 30 mins but various charges after that. I paid £3 for 24 hours use which I thought was good value and the quality of the wifi was excellent.
The breakfast offering was not something I particularly fancied however this is down to personal preference. Having spent a lot of time in Plymouth until comparatively recently I was aware of a local bakery on nearby Royal Parade who offer delicious breakfast rolls, pasties etc.
One bonus was being able to check out as late as 12 noon although I did leave earlier than this. The only drawback unlike some hotels they did not have a left luggage facility. This is something that could maybe be considered in the future even if a small charge was made for providing the service.
Generally I was happy with the hotel but I would be reluctant to stay there on a Friday and Saturday night due to the nose from nearby bars etc. (Not the hotel's fault)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BlueFox17
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We travelled from Southport to Plymouth for one night as we had a friends wedding to attend. When we arrived there was no one available at reception, so we found the local car park (£6 for 24hrs) when we were finally checked in, we couldn't get the lift to work. Once we found out how to use the lift we were in our room. Satisfactory at best, with the concrete style bed. The noise is apparently "minimal" according to the lady on the phone however be warned you can hear the music from the pub and local night life until 2am and we had the unpleasant of the three lorries unloading/loading at the theatre next door at 2am, then the council workers street cleaning between 5-7am led us to have very little sleep in preparation for our 6 hour drive home. NOT IMPRESSED! Had this have been premier in I would have been refunded my room fee!
Premier in from me from now on!

• Stayed: June 2014
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Services at Travelodge Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

We are sorry to learn you did not enjoy your stay at our Plymouth hotel James H. Our lifts are required to be fully functional, we are aware that sometimes some issues may occur however these matters will be fixed in a timely manner to ensure less impact to our customers. We want all of our customers to have a comfortable stay with us and in an attempt to reduce the noise outside we do provide double glazing and insulated walls, regrettably due to the location it is not completely possible to completely reduce the noise outside. We will be sure to pass on your comments to our hotel management team so that they can be aware of the improvements which are needed.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Used as a stop off between ferry and drive back to Cumbria. Easy to find and in city centre. Staff very friendly, room clean and comfortable. Stayed here on Saturday night with hubby and parents. We had first floor room, parents third floor. We had a smaller room with only a small shower, but it was much cooler and quiter as it was at front. Parent's was much hotter and very noisy as it was over the nightclub and Walkabout. We didn't mind noise and to be honest had expected it, but it was too much for parents. Would recommend for shopping or party weekend, but a good night's kip at weekend - no.

Room Tip: Choose a room at front away from nightclub. Rooms on third floor can be hot in summer, but are large...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My room was on the first floor, was clean and smart, it was smaller than other places I had been in, but was roomy, so no issues there. The furniture was well planned out, a bit like an ikea room, modern and bright. The bed looked inviting on entering the room, there was a throw over the bottom of the bed, 4 huge plumped out pillows and extra design cushions. The mattress was so comfy, soft but yet firm, I slept well, no issues. I liked the fact that the windows in the room could stay open as it had an electronic alarmed gadget attached to it, stopping anyone from entering, so you felt safe. The bathroom was adequate, a walk in large shower, loads of hot water and powerful too, so that was great. It was also very clean. Towels were soft and no complaints to be honest. Room had a TV with remote, no issues there. If you were after breakfast then you would have a problem, as it doesn't accommodate that, although you can order one, but that is Option A or B, a bag with muffin, juice etc..however as the Travel lodge is placed in the city itself plenty around if you required more for your breakfast. This was my first time in a travel lodge and I would stay here again away on business, did the job and good value. the lodge is only 15 minutes walk to the old harbour where restaurants are located in a lovely picturesque setting, and so ideal.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2014

A somewhat disappointing experience. The hotel is on the edge of a city centre shopping area. Even on a Monday night there was rowdy night time noise.
The room was clean and a decent size.
I was staying on business and the downside was no proper breakfast if you wanted an early start.
There was a £5 "breakfast bag" on offer, but not really what I wanted.
Weatherspoons close by didn't open until 8am, which probably meant at least 8.30 before any breakfast arrived.
So to my rescue came the Spar in Royal Parade ( a couple minutes walk away). They have a Costa machine and sell hot bacon or sausage baps.
Travelodge tend to be pretty basic and if you want a cheap clean room this is ok.
I ate at Bella Italia in the evening, which is next door to the hotel.
Reasonable Italian food.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Cannot fault the cleanliness, and very basic, but if you want a quiet night sleep do not stay here. The nightclubs and bars nearby make it very impossible to get to sleep at any time before 3am. Also extremely noisy people in the room above (ok not hotels fault) but constant pacing up and down and dropping things, got a bit tedious after 4am. The hotel for some reason decided to put the smoke alarm right above the bed which flashed all night, apparently when I queried this, it's supposed to. Not in any of the other non-travelodge hotels I've stayed in they haven't.
In a nutshell if you don't plan on sleeping the night it's a great basic hotel to stay in.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family