“Lovely experience and will be returning soon!”
Review of Elfordleigh Hotel

Elfordleigh Hotel
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely experience and will be returning soon!”
Reviewed 4 June 2011

We choose Elfordleigh to visit purely for their oasis spa for a hen party of 5. Whilst booking I called and spoke to a lady on reception who was so helpful and even booked the whole day out for us and would give me a month to come back to her to tell her if we were even going to book! I was so impressed with how it felt like I was made to feel so individual. On arrival we were given all the instructions/treatment appointment times and given locker keys, which we were told to get into our robes and we would be taken into the pool. It was such a lovely touch that our slippers, towels and robes we all ready in our lockers. They then advised us to pre-order our lunch and they took down our orders for the restaurant. So we all made ourselves at home and made use of the pool, two Jacuzzi's, steam & sauna room and for half term week, the pool was relaxed, not too many kids but you couldn't notice. Lunch time came around and we were walked to the restaurant (still in our robes! - however we were given the choice to change but were quite happy) It was a beautiful day and we got a table out on the deck with lovely views of the golfing. Our drinks were taken and then our food order came right out which was fab as we didn't have to wait. If you are looking for a spa weekend/pampering day then this is the place. I cannot wait to return again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Stayed one night. Negotiated standard room for £60 including breakfast. Room was good - spacious, clean and everything worked. Arrived 8.00pm, so dined in restaurant. Real ale in bar. Limited menu, nothing fancy, but tuna steak was nicely cooked and presented. The treacle tart would have been better warm and custard was not an option, but was fine. Continental breakfast was OK, if rather unimaginative. Did not have a cooked breakfast, but asked for croissants, which seem to have been overheated (re-heated ?) in a microwave. Staff generally friendly and helpful. Rural situation means no traffic noise, but internal noise insulation is poor, which could be a problem if hotel is full of celebrating golfers. Room had a noisy "crap cruncher" loo, which would have annoyed neighbouring guests if used during the night. Overall impression - earns its three star status and offers fair value for money. Nice situation outside Plymouth. I'd stay there again for a night.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Cadwallada
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2011

Stayed here a couple of times, to be honest if I could have avoided the second trip I would have, some of the rooms a too small, the wifi doesn’t work, the house is tired we had no hot water, the heating go’s off at 10pm and its as if the chef and waitresses just don’t listen to you. Shame, as it looks so nice on the web site.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ADD999

Travellers are raving about these Plymouth hotels

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2011

A few friends and I stayed here for a bit of golf with a few my pals. We arrived a bit late for our meal but the Waiter was very understanding and a great laugh throughout and also gave us fantastic service. After finishing our meal, we went up to see a bit of 'Fallstock' and saw him up there clearing glasses, the guy can carry like 50 stacked glasses! Legend. Can't remember his name. I'm thinking Chris but I might be wrong. He said he was 16 at the time and had a fringe and choppy hair. Anyway, hope to see him again next time we go there!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank MPMax
Wales
Reviewed 29 December 2010

My husband and I traveled here for two nights in late December for a quick getaway for my 30th birthday. He researched and arranged the stay in this pink country hotel with a golf course. From an American perspective, the hotel was old -- though my British husband insists its not that old. The hallways, covered in prints of old pictures and stylised lamps, looks like Miss Marple is going to pop out at any moment to solve a murder mystery. The redeeming features were the bedroom, which seemed quite large for the UK, and the spa and gym. Only one of the two jacuzzis was working, but it was still the best bit of the hotel. I also had a facial from the Oasis spa, which I'd say was good value for money. The worst part of our stay was my decision to dine in the Churchill's restaurant for my birthday meal. I was swayed after the previous night's outing to the Miner's Arms resulted in a closed kitchen and an hour's wait for a taxi back to the hotel. Staying in seemed a better option. It wasn't. To summarise, the white house wine was served warm; the leek and potato soup was half pepper; and the "locally raised" sirloin steak would have been better served as a leather jacket it was so tough. Dessert was the one redeeming aspect -- a lush chocolate torte and a cheese plate.
Beyond my dining mishap, we stayed in the St Andrews room. The double beds are closer to a king size and the wifi is extremely good -- at least where we were near reception on the ground floor. The bath had plenty of hot water, however the shower was not as reliable -- like a drippy, tepid leak in the ceiling. The room was warm in the chilly temperatures outside, and the maid service was quick to clean the room when we popped into the dining room for breakfast. The breakfast service, also in Churchill's restaurant, was slow, yet the kitchen did accommodate our request for takeaway bacon baps. Everything on the menu was typically British -- bacon, eggs, sausages, tomatoes, etc. The buffet was simply a few yoghurts, cereal, and apple and orange juice.
Overall, I could see myself coming here to celebrate my birthday in another 30 years when its appeal wouldn't be entirely lost on me.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank joniayn
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 4 December 2010

Stayed here 4 nights a week, for a month. Great hotel with great service and good food.

• Stayed November 2010
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2010

We have been here for many years now and it never disappoints. Fantastic value, the course in superb condition and the food was as good as ever. Rooms are huge, extremely big! The night porter stayed to serve us as long as required and the staff were attentive and helpful all weekend. A great choice for a golf break.

• Stayed October 2010