“Good points/Bad points”
Review of Elfordleigh Hotel

Elfordleigh Hotel
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Lovely location and views. We were quite impressed driving up and looked forward to our stay. Unfortunately, the downsides are too big and tend to overshadow the positive. We had requested a soft bed in reservation, but despite the room being impressively huge, the beds were cheap quality and uncomfortable. Had a rough night's 'sleep'.
Breakfast was a huge let-down. Other hotels charge £12.50 for breakfast, but include so much more. Elfordleigh only served white and brown bread for toast, No danishes or croissants. Only 'fruit' were prunes, grapefruit sections and TINNED fruit cocktail (fresh fruit salad was a supplement of £3!, making breakfast £15.50!). Menu stated cheese plate, but we didn't see any cheese anywhere. No cold cuts. Cooked-to-order breakfast was fine quality, but only one of everything (bacon, sausage, overcooked rubber egg etc) meant you could easily leave hungry. Most other hotels offer buffet breakfast where you can help yourself to quantity. Cooked to order is nice, but you should have the option to ask for 2 of everything. Only orange juice offered and jug was empty for most of breakfast. If they're insisting on breakfast costing extra, perhaps £5.95 for Continental and £8.95 for cooked would be more indicative of 'value' for money, or raise the price of room to include breakfast, or lower price of breakfast to reflect its value. Very poor breakfast!
I would recomment Elfordleigh for its location, room size and pool facilities, but not for awful beds and expensive-for-what-you-get breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank K S

Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed at Elfordleigh last night (16 July 2012) booking two rooms. We had rooms the St Pierre room and room 32 next door (family room with the bunk beds). We have a 2 year old daughter and she was accomodated just as well at this hotel as we were as adults. They made her bed time bottle with fresh milk without any quibble, they heated her food without a blink of an eye (most places you have to plead with them to heat baby food) which then then presented beautifully for her and anything else we asked for to make our stay more enjoyable or convenient was met with a big smile. We cannot thank the hotel staff enough. Yes it is not 5 star but nor is the price and in my experience the service here is far superior to any 4 or 5 star I have stayed in.

The only two negatives, and trust me I had to really look for them, was that they could do with hoovering under the beds a little more often and the dining room chairs in the bedroom could do with being more easy chairs so you can relax a little after a long walk or watch some televison once the children are in bed but everything else was absolutely spotless and perfect.

There are some wonderful woodland walks and the view from our room over the golf course was amazing. It was so nice to have a family room that was not shoved to the back of the hotel. The bathrooms are huge with separate bath and power shower. The spa was spotlessly clean (trust me I did look!) and had all of the faciliites you would hope for and more.

We could only eat in the bar because the restaurant was closed but the staff made up a table for us and another group in the lounge area of the bar so we could eat more formally. They made a huge effort to do what they could to "posh" up our dinner!! Food was "pub grub" and there is room for a small improvement here but the puddings are amazing and the english cooked breakfast was beautifully cooked - not an spot of grease in sight. Lovely.

Well done everyone for a lovely one night stay that left us feeling so great. We will definitely be back. Be aware, they have beds of all firm or softness so ask when you book to ensure you get the right one for you. Ours was a little more firm than I would have liked but my mother in law swears by a firm bed so best to ask. I am sure they will accomodate you.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2012

My partner and I recently stayed at the elfordleigh, his second stay but my first and certainly not my last. We got the room through a late deal so it was great value.
Whilst he went off to his business meeting I made full use of the spa and facilities. By the time he came back I was super chilled!!
The room itself was stunning, super king bed for me and single bed for himself!! Perfect lol. The view was amazing even in the rain. The staff were all extremely friendly and so helpful.
I can't comment on the food from the restaurant as we went into Plymouth for our evening meal but the breakfast from the brasserie wasn't the greatest. Fried bread deep fried until ready to explode and same as the hash browns. The bacon and sausage were tastey but the bacon was anaemic and the sausage over done. Hopefully next time I stay it will be better or it will get sent back. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Will be booking in for one of their spa deals and himself can go play golf for he weekend

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank lawrencelins
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We went to a wedding reception here last night, the food was cold, bland and tasteless, I know the parents paid a fortune for the receptions, no way did they have value for their money, one thing I would say the gent in charge of the wedding party was great, to good for that place, he never stopped asking the bride and groom if they needed anything, infact everyone said he was brilliant, a friend over heard a few staff picking fault with what people had on and was fuming to hear that, when asked why they said that they just walked off, I would like to warn people not to get carried away with the view because I would not like them to be disappointed,

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rose T
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We stayed here for just one night. The hotel is set in lovely surroundings. It is quiet and very scenic and we found our stay here to be very good.

The staff were friendly and the leisure facilities, pool, spa, sauna and steam room were great and we had the use of them while we stayed.

The room we had was comfortable and very large, but some of the decor was a little dated, but it was clean and totally acceptable. The bed was large and comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2012

driving up the drive my wife and I were wowed by the exterior and beautiful setting of this hotel. Inside it was a plesant environment and friendly staff although busy and distracted with a wedding for the following day. Bedroom clean and pretty but a little small. We had one towel which could have doubled as a dishcloth it was so thin. Comfy bed and quiet surroundings although floor boards of an older property creaked with every resident moving. Breakfast was a pretty bog standard affair with fruit from a tin and help yourself to cereals and tea and coffee!. Good cooked breakfast and a distracted send off(day of wedding). Feel the whole experience felt no one cared about all the little extras that make you feel spoilt and the beautiful buiding was slipping into old age.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Spent two nights BB and EM at the Elfordleigh with my wife and another couple and really enjoyed it. Staff were exceptionally friendly and really cared about the hotel (note to the owner - you need to spend some money here and there as the place is tired in places and you are letting your loyal staff down). Breakfasts and evening meals were both really good. Had two rounds of golf - Nick the pro was very helpful and accomodated us with tee times - very good course with greens in great condition and some wonderful views. My wife made use of the spa and treatments - all good. Everywhere was very clean and room was lovely, spacious and had a great view over the 16th green (room was The Belfry). First night was a bit spoilt by some of the "guests" at a wedding going on who decided to carry on the party in an upstairs room at 0230. The night manager dealt with the matter well though and this appears to be a rare incident.

All things considered though I would recommend this hotel for a golf and spa break - some of the "tired" issues about the place don't bother me - I go for the atmosphere and being able to relax, not check every ceiling and corner for peeling paint. Will definately go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends