“Some good points and some bad”
Review of Elfordleigh Hotel

Elfordleigh Hotel
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This hotel is extremely hard to find, even with SatNav, and the road to it is terrible. When I arrived my room was upstairs and no help with my suitcase was offered - I found out later on there was a lift, that I should have been directed to. The idea of having dogs stay with you is great - only if the dog doesn't bark and whine whilst the resident leaves the room. The food was very good, and I had 3 very enjoyable breakfasts, but I would have wished for better service, as I was on my own, and the waitress kept waiting for someone else to join me. On that point, don't go if you are allergic to cats - as I am. They let the cat wander around the dining room and I had to make a very quick exit, as I hadn't brought any anti- histamines with me!!

Room Tip: as if the neighbouring rooms have chosen to bring their dog with them. Bring a hairdrier with you, a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HappyCustomerBelfast
Elfordleigh1, Manager at Elfordleigh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us.
We are very pleased you were happy with the quality of the food and we have had many comments about the value and quality of food served both in the restaurants and Brasserie . Depending on which satnav is used can make finding the hotel very easy. There are also directional signs on the roads leading to the hotel. We are also currently in talks with the local Highways Authority to further improve the road signage to the hotel. If in any doubt there is always someone in reception who will be able to assist with directions if required.
The hotel is a' Pet Friendly' hotel for the occasional guests who want to bring their well behaved dog with them. We do have a cat that wonders around the premises but he is deterred from entering the dining area and normally removed by staff as we would not want him to upset any diners.
We would hope overall you were happy with your stay and look forward to your return to the Elfordleigh.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

The question is where to start, last year I had my wedding at the elfordleigh which I had booked 2 years in advance the wedding itself was lovely but the aftercare was awful, Whilst planning my wedding I had 4 different wedding co-ordinators which were incredibly hard to get hold of, I booked rooms for elderly guests which were travelling a long way that were not 'ready' for when they arrived even though these had as I stated earlier been booked in advance, my main concern is I had items go missing at my wedding, straight away my guests were blamed and then I was told it was my responsibility for my own belongings even though I had asked for them the next morning after my wedding. My wedding was last year and I'm still awaiting a response from management so I really think that says it all, rooms weren't booked, items were stolen and nobody at the hotel can explain this, It is such a shame that the hotel is let down by its poor management.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Alex H
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Decided to stay at the Elfordleigh for a night as they had a good deal on, plus we thought it would be nice to get away.
We were greeted pleasantly & were given our room key. Whilst walking to our room we noticed that there were a few rooms that had food left outside which people had obviously ordered room service. This food was still there when we checked out!!

Upon entering our room it appeared very cold so we whacked the heating up, however, it didnt really warm up so we spent our night huddled together. The shower was also mouldy.

We went down for our evening meal - the food was lovely although the staff had not been properly trained & the roll for the soup came after my partner had eaten the soup. Despite this it was a nice evening meal.

In the morning we went down for brekkie, however, there were not enough seats so lots of us had to eat in the bar area! Ridiculous! We then had to keep going backwards & forwards to top up for toast, jam, cereal etc.

Overall, I wouldnt stay here again. Shame, as it has lots of potential.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SalsaChickPlymouth
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We stopped here on the way back from collecting our daughter from Plymouth University. Nice quite surroundings and relaxed atmosphere in the hotel. Rooms plain but very clean. Most impressed with the evening meal presented very well with a lovely waitress and the food was excellent freshly cooked and the best I have tasted in a restaurant for a long time. I had the vegetarian option and it was lovely, my
Husband had the steak and cooked to perfection and my daughter the chicken . Super selection of puddings and the sticky toffee pud was a really good choice. The price of dinner , bed and breakfast rate for 3 of us was really good value

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Short stay at this hotel situated in its own grounds and its golf course. Our room was amazingly large, well furnished and complemented with a huge comfortable bed. Staff met were exceptional and the restaurant menu and food very good and resonably priced. Exceptionally quiet nights sleep and overall recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

My partner was booked in to stay here whilst working away, I joined him for a short break. We stayed here for one night, on arrival the receptionist upgraded us (for free!) to a four poster suite with double jacuzzi bath with lovely views over the golf course & gardens :-D we ate in the bar, food was delicious & all staff friendly. Breakfast was served in the restaurant, good choice at the self serve buffet & hot breakfast available to order. We would recommend this hotel & will stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Stayed here to visit the Traby Arms for a birthday dinner. When we arrived it was very busy with a hen party all enjoying the spa and bar refreshments. We left for our meal just as they were preparing for their evening dinner and fun. The bar is not very welcoming and would not have wanted to spend much time there, but OK for the golfers.
Our room was large and had a view of the grounds.......remember to draw the curtains if on a ground floor and undressing!
For a one night stopover this was good value and very comfortable. We heard no noise later in the evening/night so the place is big enough to accommodate a celebration without disturbing other guests

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple