“Very dated - needs a refurb!”
Review of Elfordleigh Hotel

Elfordleigh Hotel
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Lovely entrance driveway to the hotel off the country rd and the golf course looked great. As soon as I stepped into the reception I wasn't feeling it, the receptionist didn't greet me in a great manner, she didn't tell me about the facilities, it wasn't a great start. My room was number 17 overlooking the car park and entrance to hotel. Decent sized single room, but decor was dated and had a musky smell to it, the mattress wasn't great either, a kids mattress was probably more comfortable. I ordered room service, jacket potato was huge and tasted great with ample beans and cheese. The young lady who brought it up to the room was friendly and chatty. The breakfast area again very dated, the conservatory area has such potential but all seemed abit boring and tired. I wouldn't rush back personally. Overall I felt it was average.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Elfordleigh1, Manager at Elfordleigh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for your review which gives us some positives and some not so positives. As you can appreciate the Elfordleigh is a period Country Residence and we aim to provide a mix of old and new at the hotel to maintain the charm of the building. It is not a modern city hotel. There is a newly refurbished bar and the rooms have been decorated to high standard. All bathrooms are contemporary and refurbished.
The comments regarding the first impressions from reception staff are unexpected as we have a very positive well trained team but we listen to customer feedback and continue to improve service.
The hotel won the best golfing hotel in 2013 from reviews on Laterooms and we will continue to improve upon this for 2014.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel is lovely. The staff are very helpful, and the spa and swimming pool are wonderful. I do a lot of swimming and the pool is a good size, not just a small paddling pool. The room was just amazing, with views across the golf course. The down sides of the room were that there was no air conditioning, and the wi fi signal was weak. However, the bathroom was as big as some hotel rooms I have stayed in! It had a bath and separate shower, and was huge.
The breakfast was freshly cooked to order. It was really good. The down side of the restaurant though was that there was a cat in the restaurant, which was off putting for me. However, some people are not bothered by this. We will definitely go back to this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: We had room 4 and it was lovely.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked this hotel as we were arriving a little earlier than normal and thought we would like somewhere to sit outside in the evening. What a surprise when we entered the room, more a suite than a room with fantastic views. All the facilities you want and a bathroom with a spa bath. What value for money

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter B
Elfordleigh1, Manager at Elfordleigh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you so much for the positive comments regarding your stay with us.
We look forward to your return visit to the Elfordleigh and hope we can continue to impress.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Good food a good and varied menu, afternoon tea is a bit of a treat all well presented, not over priced. Very nice location, but be prepared for narow lanes the odd tractor is not out of the ordinary. Reception bright clean gives a very good impression. The bar area is welcoming and bright. Very pleasent staff.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

What a disappointment! This hotel is tired and well beyond time for freshening up. The decor is reminiscent of the 80's. Our room was very large but hardly furnished. Wardrobe, bed, dresser, small table and a couple of chairs. The furniture reminded us of items from a jumble sale. The view from the room was of a pile of old chairs and scrap timber. The corridors and rooms are decorated with poor quality prints and the walls and doors are dotted with areas of damage. The hotel guidebook makes comments that around a million pounds was spent in 1997 on improving the hotel. It may be time to repeat the exercise. On a positive note the hotel is clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. The price was fairly expensive at £85 for one night.

We were attending a company function which included pre ordered food. My selection was a starter of goats cheese salad. The cheese was a semi hardened glob of warmed up cheese. Very unappetising and impossible to eat without gagging. My main was supposed to be chicken supreme but turned out to be possibly steamed chicken breast (wrapped in bacon prior to steaming) in a tepid mushroom gravy. Served with lukewarm over cooked vegetables and tough roast potatoes. Dessert was an unsweetened lemon tart with a tiny blob of clotted cream.

All in all a disappointment.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for the positive comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel and the staff.
In response to your comments regarding the standard of food our Head Chef has discussed the menu with his staff and review the menu. We have had very good recent reports on the food so this is an unexpected comment.
With regard to the décor of the hotel as you can understand the hotel is a Victorian building and we aim to maintain a good mix of old and new. There is a regular refurbishment of the public areas with all new bathrooms in bedrooms. As you will have seen from the website the Elfordleigh is a period country residence and not a modern city hotel.

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

The lady behind the reception was very friendly and welcoming, I was very happy with the standard of the room, due to the time of year the room was very warm but the receptionist supplied me with a fan, the evening meal was fantastic, the only thing that let down the hotel was when I went to breakfast the lady asked whether I would like a tea or coffee which I declined as I drink neither, I sat in the restaurant for 30 mins and not once did someone come up to me to take my order so I left, very disappointing

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Came here for an over night stay in June. Staff were fantastic and made us very welcome nothing was to much trouble.The pool and surrounding areas were all clean and very tranquil to the point I nearly fell asleep in the Jacuzzi. Only bad point was the food, had fish and chips and cooked breakfast, and gotta say it was awful and for the price I expected much better, cheap frozen chips and limp fish at £10.95 isnt good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple