“Relaxing break”

Elfordleigh Hotel
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
“Relaxing break”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Elfordleigh for our wedding anniversary. We had an amazing huge bedroom with fantastic views and a four poster bed. The swimming pool was lovely with a jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Staff were friendly and we had a very relaxing break.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Having my daughter and her friends stay at my home for weeked - thought I would escape the weekend and found a lovely retreat near Plymouth - I play golf so picked this hotel and what a gem - lovely golf course and great surroundings - very good room was solo but had a lovely double bed with great views - good leisure facilities - swimming pool that was very designed and sauna, steam room - massage etc. - only downside was the bar looked a bit tired and did not have the feel of a good welcome - staff were great but bar was very functionally - would certainly recommend

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank JohnConway2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

On arrival, we were worried this was the wrong place for us, but this is a Hotel you need to savour and give time. It needs a little TLC, however it is a 3 star and not trying to masquerade as anything more. The grounds are lovely, although we don't play golf, we had a lovely amble around the course. Swimming pool is excellent size for a Hotel. There is something very pleasant about this hotel, it's not the most up to date, but honestly we just chilled out for three days. You can't complain, great price, decent breakfast, great leisure facilities, and something really nice about the obvious local support who we had some lovely chats with, whilst looking at the sun set. During our stay there were 2 weddings, which did not interfere with our stay. I hope they had a lovely time. What could be better with minimum cost? Decent wifi connection, less "do not signs".

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground floor. It was pleasant overlooking the grounds.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had a 90th birthday party here, the stall are fantastic and very attentive. Food was very very good with no complaints and the venue is one of the best around, I would recommend this hotel to everyone

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank John F
UK
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here whilst on business. Mixed view about this hotel - some bits are OK ie size of the room , price was OK brasserie was very good with nice fish n chips and good beer beautiful sunset over the golf course and no road noise.
Less good was the decor, noisy pipes , restaurant was staid, breakfast was average and though price was OK my colleague paid £30 less!
Overall don't expect too much but OK for an odd night stay

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking golf course is best
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cablegram
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed at the Elfordleigh as part of a hen party for a spa day and night at the hotel.
The spa facilities were basic but enjoyable enough-we had use of the swimming pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and outside patio area (where we sat on the walls as there were not enough chairs for the amount of guests outside). I had a massage which in itself was excellent, it lasted for half an hour with beautiful music playing and was very relaxing; however I was uncomfortable at times as my massage bed did not have a face hole (I have previously had a massage here and know that the other beds do have these) so I kept moving my head during the massage to get into a comfortable position.
The afternoon tea was fairly good for the price (we would have liked more than half a glass of 'champagne' though!) and the scones were especially well made.
I really enjoyed the dinner and we had good service throughout.
After the relaxing day it was disappointing to be in a hotel room where we were forced to shut the windows (on a REALLY hot night!) as it was extremely noisy outside-we were on top of a bar area and it sounded like the men drinking there were inside our room. After talking to other guests the next day it seemed that no matter where your room was, there was noise (a wedding party was going on so the majority of the noise was from this). Although I understand if you book a room on a Saturday night in the summer the chances are there will be a party going on-I was annoyed that the noise continued past 1am, as most hotels would stop this past 12 for the other guests staying.
The staff were great-helpful and friendly. Overall I would pay for the spa day again as it was quite cheap and good value for money but I would not stay at the hotel after.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights in the Gleneagles room. This is a disabled room at the back of the hotel at the furthest point from amenities and reception with stairs to get to it. I point this out as it is at best the wrong room to have converted!

We are not a disabled family and were initially really impressed by the size of the room. The real issues for us were the lack of basics - a window that wouldn't stay open and couldn't be left open when the room was unoccupied meant a really hot room - no AC.

An asthmatic shower, bath and handbasin tap were borderline useless and now worktops for bathroom bits and pieces. No large towels.

The other problem is that this is a Golf Club with a hotel attached. The Hotel car park is swamped by the golf club members and no one cares - their bags of clubs are much heavier than our luggage so we used the golf club and spa car park which was emptier but MUCH further away to haul or luggage to reception

Jail Ale was outstanding - the cellarman here knows how to keep beer.

I left thinking that management need a dose of the Hotel Inspector - Borrindon Hall is down the road and will be where I stay next time - but to get me back all that is needed is a focus on creating a Hotel with a Golf Club attached rather than the other way around.

A real shame