“a hidden gem”

The Old Pump House
Price range: US$5 - US$9
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Old Pump House has now closed and Jayne and all the team have moved to Jayne's at Princetown Come and see us there for the same great food and service
Didcot, United Kingdom
“a hidden gem”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

found this quite by accident , the dam is at the end of a dead end road and unless you intend going there you will never know the cafe exists. On a cold but bright rememberance sunday we came across the cafe after walking the dog. Great looking fresh cakes and a pot of hot tea wre just what was needed. The owner and staff ( her son as it happened) were very keen and its great to see someone really enjoying their job

• Visited November 2013

Bere Ferrers, United Kingdom
“Food by the River”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This cafe serves yummy food in delightful surroundings on the banks of the River Tavy at Lopwell Dam, surrounded by hills and trees. The food is very good, mainly homemade.

• Visited September 2013
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Theme Nights - what a super idea for the cafe that offers more!”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Italian Night - super, super, super, that's all I can say!

Well done to the team for providing such a relaxing meal. My wife and I love the fact that the management of this cafe go out of their way to ensure the customer's experience is one to remember.

So looking forward to our next visit!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Local L
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting with okay food”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Been here a few times now but on the last visit we sat inside as there were no tables outside. The interior is like a village hall - not very comfortable, lacking character and atmosphere. Will avoid from now on as it's too far off the beaten track to take the chance of a table inside. As for the food - it's okay for a cafe - nothing too fancy.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank BobbelitosWay
JayneyP24, Owner at The Old Pump House, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
I think the old adage you can please some of the people some of the time is the only appropriate response to this. Whilst we take all comments and feedback very seriously it just seems some people look for a reason to have a beef. The cafe is set in beautiful surroundings and is a stunning building with an amazing outlook. As for sitting inside the floor to ceiling glass windows mean it is almost as good as sitting outside quite honestly. I really don't know when you came to visit but there have not been many occasions where there has been no room outside and we have always had spare tables and chairs so you really only needed to ask. The only possible occasion was when we had a large group in for lunch and closed half of the cafe and terrace for them. But that is most definitely not the norm and was actually a wake for a very lovely customer and her family requested they come down to somewhere special to her and remember her. So really not something we could refuse. Anyway as stated previously the building is an old working building and much of the heritage and history has been preserved. And yes it is a large open space but this I see as an advantage. As for the food I have to disagree with your comments. I put a lot of effort into the menu and sourcing the food and I think saying nothing too fancy is unjust. I really don't know many other establishments that offer some of the menu items we have. Yes we have the standard fayre of sandwiches baguettes, jacket potatoes etc. but we also offer gourmet burgers, antipasti platters and calzones etc. I think this goes a bit beyond the norm and does offer something above and beyond most people's expectations when visiting a café. I am sorry you did not enjoy your last visit but I do feel that there would seem to be very little we could do to please you.
“Well worth the visit”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Stumbled across this place through chance a Few weeks ago.The staff are welcoming, the food is freshly prepared to order and very well priced I would defiantly visit again.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Micky C
JayneyP24, Owner at The Old Pump House, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit and your lunch. All food is prepared to order and i try very hard to keep prices reasonable. Look forward to welcoming you back again. Many thank again :)