“A great choice if you are Anorexic or on a Diet”
Review of Burrows and Wodehouse - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Burrows and Wodehouse
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: New on the Plymouth evening eating scene this homely new restaurant cafe sells predominantly bangers and mash with onion gravy but a few alternatives like coq au vin, steak and ale pie eye. It replaces Cuisine Spontanee. We do not know if it has changed ownership or management but has had a good deal of start up publicity and has a website. We will try it within the next few days but because it is a bit different and in a prominent site it deserves a Tripadvisor listing so that we can others can say how we think it is.
Plymouth
“A great choice if you are Anorexic or on a Diet”
Reviewed 13 December 2012

I wish I had seen the other reviews of this restaurant before visiting.
I also wish that I had taken a closer look at their awful, non functioning website.
both of these may have offered a clue into the experience on offer.

this place specialises in sausages, no one in our party had the sausages so it would be hard to comment on their speciality. however they do make it clear that they offer plenty of other things too, world cuisine, or as they call it 'Street Food' which is an odd name choice, never have I thought to myself, I fancy going to a restaurant and could really go with some street food right about now. However what’s in a name anyway.

When we visited it was a Saturday night as a group of people, aside from us there were another couple of large groups but very few other customers. It certainly was not packed. However what was clear is that the front of house staff could not cope and neither could the kitchen.

Our group was under 10 in number and we opted to have a variety of dishes to share. We hadn’t realised that this would mean one dish at a time to share between us, with maybe 15 or 20 minutes between each single dish being brought out. We thought this may be a glitch and that maybe they would pick up speed eventually, they never really did. At one point the offering included one chicken leg, I’m not sure how they expected us to share that, maybe take a bite and pass it down. At numerous points other people in our party complained to be told that they would inform chef and that they promised this would be fixed, which seemed to work, eventually, maybe at about 1030 ish having been there since 830 and their response seemed to be more to prove a point rather than them actually catching up.

That said the food that did come out was nice, but then again it was only a mouthful at a time, and as they have kept the bring your own booze policy, the food did give way to the wine.

I’m not sure how a restaurant offering all you can eat, knowing that they have 3 large groups of people visiting, all eating ‘Street Food’ wouldn’t maybe prepare a much larger batch of food that would be ready to go in the evening but then again I’m not a professional chef, which I don’t suppose the master of this restaurant is either.

One of the people from another group actually came up to us to see if we had faired better than them so it certainly wasn’t just us.

• Visited December 2012
6 Thank Anon2012Plymouth

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Lost its touch!”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Of we went for a lovely meal at Cuisine Spontanee..... Little did we know, the restaurant had been renamed and reinvented. The original unique touch of Cuisine Spontanee had gone as it has turned from a choose your ingredients and cooking style and have different meals, to a sausage and mash restaurant. The all you can eat is still available but on a fixed menu, but the quality of food has seriously declined. Each course is no longer Spontaneous and now take a good 20 mins to be cooked (this was with 7 people in the restaurant). To give an example of our disappointment, one of the course I chose was Sweet and Sour chicken, but when i received the meal it was sweet pork (not chicken or sweet and sour sauce). I am sad to say this once good restaurant has lost its touch

• Visited November 2012
19 Thank archiethefoodmonster
Devon
1,569 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 6,622 helpful votes
“Is it still trading?”
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We had a disappointing meal here soon after it opened. We thought we would leave it a while and give it another go. Tried to telephone this evening to see if they were open and the number here which is also on the website rang a couple of times but the connected and went silent without a voicemail option. We walked by a little later after the advertised opening time but all was in darkness and the tables in both rooms were arranged as if for a meeting rather than eating. The general appearance was as though the place was not in use. The menu beside the entrance has changed a lot from when we came last time, still bangers and mash but with some 'international street food' options. There was no sign with opening hours but in the corner of the menu was an indication of evening opening from Thursday to Saturday or Sunday in the run up to Christmas. Frankly it looks as if they may not be trading at least for the time being. If you are keen then by all means try the phone or email or try looking by of an evening.

Visited October 2012
11 Thank Jannerbloke
United kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,279 helpful votes
“Keep it simple!”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Bangers and Mash cafes are popping up all over. Maybe a fad or maybe it will last. We have been to one in Birmingham and another in Fulham. I see other reviewers have discovered one in Exeter. We have tried Burrows and Wodehouse. Odd name but there you go. The food was OK and the price fair but we would rather it had been more basic. The little tables and the Venetian blinds, to say nothing of the awful music system, all ruined the effect. We had the house wine because it was good and cheap but frankly I would rather have had a pint or more of draught ale or lager. Not sure about the apparent cooking to order. I would have liked to see the classic school or institutional canteen approach with a hot display or counter with some big pans of mash, and a stack of the most popular sausages. The gravy or a couple of choices of it could sit simmering in one of those sandwich shop pot bellied soup containers. Somehow a bangers and mash restaurant ought to be a cross between an eat in chip shop and team meal after rugby. It needs to to be more fun. B & W hasn't got it right yet.

• Visited August 2012
20 Thank PlongeurV
dartmoor
“Great Sausages with excellent service”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Visited with my partner and our 6 year old. The place was fairly busy and we were greeted very politely by the owner . We liked the varied menu ,especially the price ,and all had sausages with mash. asked for a childs portion which was no bother. Having lived on Dartmoor and tasted many sausages i can advise you these are as good as it gets. Excellently cooked with mash and a great home-made gravy not from a cube !!!

My experience was very good and the place was very clean and we received polite and considerate service.

My advise is try this place as its far better than some of the reviews ive seen. i am aware that some reviews may not always be genuine (competition) and from my experience of this place i think that may be the case of some of these reviewers.

This new concept has only recently opened and after visited many restaurant s and pubs in the area and can recommend this place - give it a try and support new enterprise !

• Visited August 2012