“Re: Scanbal”

Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Re: Scanbal”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

If your looking for a hotel for a long weekend, think again before you pick this one.
Hotel staff tell you at check-in breakfast is from 6 till 10 they need to say 6 till 9.45 after that you are told they are shut.

No comment about last orders at the bar, as they do not tell you its about to call time.

Rooms are in decline, nothing in our room felt clean, bedding had seen better days, time to spend a little money on new sheets that's for sure.

Overall the hotel was not for a couple wanting to have a romantic break away from home.
It's a business hotel for companies employees to stay in during the week. That's as far as it goes.

I was very disappointed as a friend had stayed there a few years ago with his wife and recommended this hotel to me. Hotel did not spoil weekend but did not make it as nice as it could have been

Last of all, this will show you what the hotel is like, "scandal" that they are asking me to pay £10 for my own phone charger to be sent to my address. even if i send a prepaid envelope.
It's nothing to do with money its all about customer service. NOT FOR THE FUTURE INN PLYMOUTH

If you pick this hotel make sure your you are no later for breakfast than 9.45 and you do not want a last night cap after a long day out and about and finally make sure you leave nothing behind in the room, if a phone charger is £10 what will it be if you left your note book hate to think.

Room Tip: Cant help did not get the room we booked
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kevin o
PlymouthManager, Front Office Manager at Future Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review.
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the issues you encountered during your stay.
I am sorry that there was confusion with the breakfast timings. Breakfast is served from 6:30 until 10am, and I am sorry that you were informed that breakfast had finished before this time.
I am also sorry that last orders were not called during your stay. These comments will be discussed with our heads of departments to ensure guests are correctly informed in future.
With regards to the lost property; the £10 charge is a flat rate, regardless of the item, therefore if you had left a notebook here it would only cost £10 to return.
I am sorry that during your visit we did not deliver the high level of service we pride ourselves on, and I hope you choose Future Inn Plymouth again so that we can put that right.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Aveley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Just a one night stay over in this hotel.

The rooms are a good size and are very clean and pleasant. Free internet access too which is a very reliable connection.

The down sides are that the hotel looks slightly more glanourous in the photos online. It's a bit more plain in real life. And also, the location isn't great, it's located in a sort of business park which makes it feel a little industrial.

The food in the restaurant was ok. Although, it got confusing with the service because I was served by 7 or 8 people throughout the course of my meal. Breakfast was in the same restaurant but it was carnage when I went to eat. There were no free tables so I cleared one myself and say down. The food wasn't great, I should have gone elsewhere.

I'd stop here again if I was nearby for business because it's convinient, I just wouldn't look forward to the food too much.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your recent review.
I am pleased to hear that during your visit you found your room to be pleasant and you took advantage of our free wireless internet.
I am concerned to hear about the issues in the restaurant, especially that you had to clear your own table for breakfast. I will discuss this feedback with our restaurant manager to ensure it does not happen again.
We hope you choose Future Inn for your next visit to Plymouth.
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Booked at last minute and ended up with a suite - palatial in terms of space and well equipped. It was on the high end of the pricing and so might have expected at least water or drinks available in the fridge for purchase. However, bed very comfortable and large and room fairly quiet given proximity to hospital and main roads.
The food was tasty and served fairly quickly, if a little slow on refreshing drinks.
Main reason for staying was that it was near hospital - excellent for that, However if you want to be in town centre or go to Plymouth Barbican etc then this is too far out of town.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you reviewing your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to read that you found your room comfortable and quiet, and that you had a pleasant dining experience.
These comments will be passed on to our housekeeping manager and restaurant manager.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Future Inns again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here this week 3 nights for work reasons. The greeting from reception was good. I stayed on the first floor which was handy I didn't have to go too floor. It had a gym room which was average but usable. There was also an ice machine and drinks machine.
The room was quite large. I loved the bed very comfy and the pillows were spot on. Bottled water was in the room and was replaced daily.
As other trip users have said the toilet is behind the door it me awhile to figure this out.
The hotel was very quiet so had a good nights sleep.
Breakfast was good though a bit cold for me. They catered for my gluten free diet which was great. I also ordered room service again the food was cold but was value for money.
I took the time to fill out feed back form was not asked at reception if enjoyed my stay. Still worth staying.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
PlymouthManager, Front Office Manager at Future Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review.
We are grateful for the kind comments regarding our rooms and beds, this will be passed on to our housekeeping department.
Whilst I am pleased that we could cater to your dietary requirements, I am sorry that you felt the food was cold. This feedback will be passed to our restaurant management team, who will see if we can implement a procedure to ensure food stays hot from the kitchen to the guest.
We hope you will choose Future Inn on your next visit to Plymouth.
Whittlesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Although some claim a bit 'bland & plain' our experience was very good. Free car parking which today is a 'bonus' - the entrance is clean of the usual 'cigarette butts'? Reception welcoming and staff very attentive, smart and helpful. The room was good with two queen beds everything clean and working. We ate in the restaurant one evening and was fine, the normal hotel fare. Breakfasts were buffet style and again more than adequate - hot and a good choice.
The only downside is that you would normally need your own transport as is a couple of miles from the city centre. If we came back to Plymouth would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Future Inn Plymouth.
I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel clean and presentable, the staff helpful and restaurant pleasant.
These comments will be passed to our department heads for them to pass the praise to their teams.
Whilst we recognise we are not a city centre based hotel, we feel we offer an excellent location to explore Plymouth, Dartmoor and Cornwall from.
We hope you choose Future Inn on your next visit to Plymouth.
Rabun Gap, Georgia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Excellent hotel in a busy area. Had a wonderful time for two nights and excellent food. Had a great time staying here. Very good location for the places we visited and the morning breakfast as very good. Again the usual "powdered eggs" which I was now getting used too. Would prefer the real eggs. Everything was very good at this hotel

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.
We are grateful for the kind comments regarding the hotel and restaurant in particular. Your feedback regarding the eggs will be passed to our food and beverage manager for their consideration.
If you would like, you can also leave a review for the restaurant directly, just search TripAdvisor for Fishbone Bar and Restaurant.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 9 May 2014

On a tour with 26 people, we were booked into this hotel. The rooms are nice, but average. The bathroom is a surprise..NO ONE could find the toilet...seems you have to open the door, go into the bathroom, then close the door and the toilet room is revealed. Even our English bus driver called the reception desk to ask where the toilet was located. BUT the problem was with the food. The first night there was a buffet. Steamed fish, no seasoning, chili over white rice, brussel sprouts and cauliflower. I asked for lemon or tartar sauce and they had none. I even asked at the bar, surely they would have lemon or limes..nope, they had had an inspection the day before and were told not to hold over any cut fruit...OK, so why didn't someone go to the local supermarket and buy some more? Next night, we ate off the menu. People at table next to us waited 45 minutes for water and their entree...hamburgers! Guess we were lucky, we only waited 25 min. We noticed that even though diners had left the tables, no one bussed them until the place was almost empty..servers just stood around or disappeared. Also no water to buy so we could have bottled water in our room...they had run out of that as well. Breakfast buffet was a bit better, but no home run there either. It seems no one has trained the staff. They are nice and apologetic, but cannot do anything. I would not recommend this place to anyone. And I know that several of our group are contacting the tour management so no one else has to stay here. Oh, yes, and no help with the bags, even though most of us are seniors.

Room Tip: find another hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.
I would like to apologise for the issues you encountered whilst staying with us, and take this opportunity to explain some of the issues.
The bathroom door set-up is for space saving; by having that door, both the toilet and shower/bath can be used at the same time with a door in between for privacy.
I am very sorry for the problems you encountered in our restaurant. You are correct in saying that we should have had the condiments you requested readily available. These comments have been passed to our new food and beverage manager, who will implement a procedure to ensure it does not happen again.
With regards to help with the luggage, I am afraid that this is something that your tour company needs to pre-arrange. If they had arranged with us prior to your arrival that porterage would be required, we would be more than happy to do so, however without prior notice we cannot provide porterage for 26 guests.
I hope this reply helps explain some of the issues you encountered, and we hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.