“Good value in Plymouth”

Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Bath, United Kingdom
“Good value in Plymouth”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

A good value stay in a convenient location. Although no parking at hotel, parking was available only 100 metres away. Rooms were basic but comfortable. Aircon worked and bed was comfortable. Reception was spacious and staff efficient. Good bar service. Overall great value for £65 a night. Only disappointment was a charge for wifi which was free when I stayed a few weeks ago.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Helen D, Manager at Jurys Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear Rob

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Really pleased you found our competative pricing rewarding!! I have passed on your comments to the reception manager who is pleased you found check in and out to be efficient.
Please do contact me when you return, I have noted your comments about the WiFi.

Helen

helen_dymoke-marr@hotmail.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Having lived in Plymouth until 2004, I regularly visit my home city though this is the first time I have stayed at the Jurys.
Excellent location just two minutes walk from the main bus/coach station and a five minute taxi journey from the railway station. Five minutes walk from Royal Parade and virtually right opposite the recently built new shopping centre.

Our room was on the 8th floor and with the window shut even overlooking Exeter Street, no discernible noise. With air conditioning, no need for the window open but if like me you like some fresh air even then the noise was far less than most hotels in city centres.

Décor was clean and crisp, bathroom well equipped and again clean. As with all Jurys a very comfortable bed but of course this is down to preference but it is clear they are good quality beds and mattresses. We took advantage of the £2 discount and booked breakfast the night before and for the money it was good value compared with any major chain.
Reception was good and the bar area pleasant even though bar prices are higher than most public houses, it does keep the rowdy element out and therefore provides a much better environment for a quiet drink.

All in all a very good stay and without doubt we would stay again and are likely to over the next month.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms at the rear of the hotel are likely to be the quietest.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Alf

Thanks indeed for your great review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and indeed are planning to return. I have passed on your comments to all the staff who are pleased to have their hard work recognised in this way.

If I can be of any help in your future bookings, please do contact me directly at
helen_dymoke-marr@jurysinns.com

Helen
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed tues weds and thurs after the bank holiday. Excellent location for barbican, hoe.and city centre shops. Great base for day trips to Cornwall and Dartmoor. Hotel was good value. Breakfast cooked well. Clean, quiet room. Friendly staff. Our elderly Mum is disabled and staff were really helpful. Would recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms at back of hotel.
Dear Guest

We are pleased you had such a pleasant stay with us and that your mother found the staff so helpful and responsive. It is always nice to hear from our leisure guests who clearly love Devon as much as we do!! I have passed on your positive comments about breakfast and the rooms to the relevent managers who are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I have been staying at the Jury's Inn 3 nights a week every week for the last 12 weeks for work and overall I have been very impressed.
The staff are always extremely helpful - especially Sam Ho on reception who always goes out of his way to assist.
Whilst I'm happy to be back home with work again - I will miss this place.
Thanks

• Stayed August 2013
Dear guest

I am delighted that your lengthy stay with us was so enjoyable and to hear that you will miss us!!
I have passed on your comments about Sam Ho to the man himself and his manager, Sam is pleased to be of service!
Please do contact me directly when you make your next reservation
helen_dymoke-marr@jurysinns.com

Manager
Harpenden, England
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed for 2 nights over the bank holiday. Centrally located. Our room was fine but other family members were kept awake by noise both outside and from a couple arguing down the corridor. Bathroom walls were grubby, basically because they were painted not tiled - could have done with a proper wipe. Breakfast was fine and staff were generally very welcoming. We weren't the only ones to be confused by the parking - you can park under the hotel for £6 a night but only if you pay at reception first - the hotel's website makes no mention of this. At times, the 3 small lifts struggle to cope with the volume of guests. Overall, its perfectly ok as a budget hotel but if you are after a 4* experience, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: The higher the better (although you may have a wait for the lift)
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to review. I am pleased you enjoyed the breakfast and found our staff to be welcoming, however I note your comments with regards to the car parking and will be looking at ways to improve the information provided to guests in the future. Thank you.

Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Well for a start I am not a kind of person who write reviews for no reason, I actually just signed up purely to express my disappointment in this hotel.

We have booked a twin room with my family and my partner foot was broken so after 5 hours driving from London, we were not exactly happy that we had to wait for 1 hour to check in and only got a smaller room as according to the hotel, booking.com had not told them the correct room. Finally we have settled when we found out in the morning that we have no breakfast hence I booked for included breakfast and was told my the receptionist that I have to wait (with two hungry children) for 15 minutes to confirm. That was too much, by then I had come downstairs from the 3rd floor like 5 times as the reception never picks up the phone when called from the room, matter fact many times they are not at the desk. So I requested to talk to the manager, who was actually quite nice, understanding gave voucher for the breakfast and invited us for complimentary dinner that night. So imagine we lived in Plymouth before, could have gone to our favourite restaurants, but went for their invite, my partner hops down with his cast, and then we are told the manager has not booked us a table, that's after seeing us in that afternoon 3 times and saying he booked us one. The waitress answer was he did not think the restaurant would be so busy (on A SATURDAY NIGHT IN THE HOTEL HE MANAGES)..so we had to wait 10 minutes while they cleaned a table and were told rudely to sit at one of the reserved table but don't touch anything...so they don't have to reset the cutlery...try to tell a 5 years old boy not to touch anything. We were only allowed to wait at the reserved table coz I pointed out that my partner foot is broken and we are not feeling like going all the way to our room to come back in ten minutes and there was nowhere else to sit.
Some might say that was awful enough, the dinner was awful, the salad was not fresh, the chicken breast had bloody bits. Breakfast was ok, except we had to explain why we had vouchers every morning we went for 4 days coz no waiter understood and wanted to charge us.

Then the parking is a nightmare, but that's I guess problem with location and would not be fair to complain. we were moved to a bigger room the next day although nobody helped I had to pull my luggage, and all luggage and two kids and injured partner, some might say its 3 star so never mind.

And then the final blow, when I arrived home to see they charged my account twice, hence I pointed out to the receptionist that it will be charged twice as they swiped my card already. I just called them I am not only surprised they actually picked it up, but I will be surprised if they sort it. and they will as I wont be charged twice that's for sure. I am so cross, I never want to deal with this hotel again. I have never gone for hotels below 4 star and I think I will stick to my rule however this does not deserve 2.

I think the problems are:

not enough staff
no communication between staff
phone calls are not answered as there is not enough staff
no detail to attention

having worked at catering I know myself, I was so angry and still is I have been seriously considering to highlight this hotel to my journalist friend, I would not want people, especially people with disability to suffer while on trip like we did and then being charged for this whole experience twice

4 Thank Edina K
Graham H, General Manager at Jurys Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Edina

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Jurys Inn Plymouth.

I am really sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectation on this occasion and for this I would like to apologise. I have shared your feedback with relevant management team to ensure that this does not happen again in future. At Jurys inn we always strive to ensure every guest have exceptional experience so your feedback is much appreciated.

If you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me on graham_hole@jurysinns.com

Regards,

Graham Hole
WARWICK
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We booked a room with 57% off for the Bank Holiday, which was a great price compared to even 'budget hotels'. The décor of the rooms and corridors just looks really shabby, we were on the 4th floor. Great location as very central and near to the Barbican, which is good if you like partying till 3am. Book a room on the other side of the hotel if you want an earlier nights sleep!