“Terrible food! I actually feel sick after eating the bit I did!”

Bella Italia Plymouth Barbican
Ranked #91 of 786 Restaurants in Plymouth
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Bella Italia have over 100 Italian restaurants across the UK serving pizza, pasta, Italian classics and more, made with ingredients from Italian-family producers.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I've eaten in a few Bella Italia restaurants before, whilst the food has been decidedly average they've been ok (not value for money though). But today's family meal was terrible:

Kids garlic flat bread was not at all garlicky, the mozzarella and tomato salad was depressingly small and made with what appeared to be Tesco's basic tomatoes. My main, chicken with a creamy mushroom sauce, served with potatoes and green beans was vile, I actually feel sick for trying to eat the bit I did!!! What's more the potatoes were awful and the green beans were barely cooked (I love al dente veg, but the beans were practically raw and not even remotely fine). So were my wife's and mothers served with their poor lamb shanks!

When we complained the waiter, who was very good, apologised and gave us some money off our meal, but what was telling was the manager did not come and apologise!

Avoid this restaurant at all costs!

Sorry to be so negative! :-(

BI Guest Experi... S, Guest Relations Manager at Bella Italia Plymouth Barbican, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hiya Simon,

Thanks for your review.

We are so happy to hear that you are a Bella regular, but are sorry that you felt your last visit and our usual delicious food standards weren't up to scratch during your visit. All of our dishes should arrive full of fresh ingredients, bursting with authentic flavour and arrive perfectly cooked. Although we are happy that the team made things Bella for you on the day and discounted your bill, we will ensure that the Area Manager checks that kitchen quality controls are up to our highest standards.

We hope we get a second chance to welcome you back so we can show you our true standards soon.

Ciao for now,

Bella Italia.

Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

I’ve never waited so long for food in any restaurant. It was only 2 pasta dishes. I could have gone to the shop, bought ingredients, gone home, made fresh pasta, cooked it and eaten it in the time it took just to get a waiters attention! I understand it was busy, but it’s in a busy place, they should be equipt for that and efficient, which is NOT a word I would use to describe it. You can’t just have “an off night” when running a restaurant, everything needs to flow smoothly, which it did not. We left without having any food because the wait was exhausting and we were fed up of being told “it’ll be 5 minutes” “it’ll be 2 minutes” when I’m actual fact, they had no idea at all!

BI Guest Experi... S, Guest Relations Manager at Bella Italia Plymouth Barbican, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Liz,

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

Here at Bella we pride ourselves on our personal, friendly and perfectly paced, service standard. We are sorry that this didn't seem to be the case during your visit and we will ensure that the Area Manager checks that our highest standards are being met and that our floor team are serving with their usual Bella charm/ pace.

In the meantime, if you would like to follow this up with us directly, please feel free to contact us at, social@bellaitalia.co.uk

Ciao for now,

Bella Italia.

Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

We had a lovely family meal this evening. The restaurant was very busy and there was an issue with the chefs in the kitchen. However, thanks to our lovely waitress Isabelle she not only made up for the extra waiting time. She also provided exemplary service and ensured we will return again.j

Reviewed 6 June 2018

12 off us booked a birthday meal at Bella's the service we had from our waitress was excellant the main course was nice but the wait for the desserts was terrable it took over 20 mins until all the desserts came out the kitchen ! The waitress was so apologetic she saved the day from a poor review ! I would say the place was about 60% full just didn't seem enough staff !

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Me and my partner had a nice meal here as we do every time the staff are friendly and food is good too