“Excellent and Welcoming”
Review of Hotel Kistor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Torquay
Hotel Kistor
Ranked #76 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Stayed here from 3rd to 6th February - came as part of a coach party. Food, room, staff - everything was wonderful. The staff were very hardworking and efficient. Food was top class - freshly prepared and cooked, attractively presented and good menu range. I am missing the breakfasts and dinners already! The gentleman who served our table (sorry I don't know his name) was very efficient as well as pleasant and welcoming - we never had to wait long for the food. Can't fault anything in the room (stayed in room 14) - the bed was very comfortable, there was plenty of wardrobe/drawer space, the room was very clean on arrival and cleaned every day and the shower worked well (good temperature control and constant flow). Also going into the bathroom on arrival and seeing a non-slip rubber bathmat was very much appreciated thank you - essential item for me and a lot of hotels don't provide them. There was a note on the wall in the room asking guests for feedback and ideas for improvement - this in itself shows the management value their customers. The only comment I can make regarding improvement is that many guests (me included) may find a small grab handle on the wall over the bath and near the shower useful. Overall an excellent place to stay - thank you to Eileen and all of the staff.

Room Tip: Room 14 a spacious double room - at the back of the hotel it is away from any (if any) main road tra...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank P J B
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2012

I am pleased that you found everything to be wonderful!
As to the grab handle in the bathroom, many rooms already have them fitted and if a guests asks for one in a room where one is not fitted a simple request...... & it will be done, with pleasure.
Eileen was pleased to read your review. thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed one..

There are newer reviews for Hotel Kistor

Reviewed 6 February 2012

I have been travelling here for five years, every January, and I really cannot fault it. The food is excellent, the staff cannot do enough for you, and the entertainment is very good. I go as part of a coach tour and it is a welcome post Chirstmas break

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Well, thank you for your support. Here's to the next 5 years. See you again!

Reviewed 5 February 2012

Just returned from two nights stay at the Kistdor a party of four.
How this hotel passes any inspection beggers belief,
Its dangerously delapertated, Health and safety would have a field day if ever they were reported. The rooms, all I can say they were warm as it was a very cold weekend,
As for the gound floor Bar/ entertainment room also restaurant were feezing cold.
So many people complained they put a couple of small heaters out to try and take
the chill off , As for our room the electrics were so dangerous trailing wires to adaptors
cracked toilet systern and tiels ,bath was disgusting so badly stained.
Shower (of a sort) was either boiling hot or cold,
Some of the guest had only very luke warm water,
As for the food, the comments that have been posted saying the food is good !
So many elderly people stay there, without being rude, love them they look like they live on meals on wheels. The carpet is frayed badly and on the stairs ! Nothing there works correctly
Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank WeshCouple
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

i am sorry that you had such an awful time. But I wonder if we live in parallel universes with slight differences in each one. I come to the hotel KISTOR every day and never feel that I am in any danger. I see no reason why H & S would have a field day. The weather wa exremely cold (-6 c) and some areas of the ground floor were cold especially when outside doors are left open by inconsiderate people.
Your room sounds absolutely dreadful but no mention of any of your complaints were made to me or Eilleen the Duty Manager. I agree some baths in some rooms need to be changed but they are clean.
I am not aware of any trailing electrical leads in bedrooms, there are some rooms with extensions for the television aerial and I would welcome a reply from you stating which room you stayed in where nothing worked correctly. I will however in the meantime carry out a full check of all the rooms, I do that every week any way but perhaps I need to look more closely.
As to your fellow guests I am not sure they would appreciate your derisory comments about how they obtain sustenance. You will be old one day, perhaps!

Reviewed 4 February 2012

Just returned from Kistor Hotel in "Torquay" & had a wonderful few days there, the staff are very polite & reaching out to do all they can do you make you happy, I enjoyed this stay so much I will return again soon, Peter the manager is a treat to listen to, he is a laugh a minute, the food is very good The Hotel is very good, it is cheap, what more do you want, I have stayed at 5 star hotels & not enjoyed myself a quarter as much as in the Kistor, in the Kistor there are no snobs, I was on my own there & everyone spoke to me. Len Williams

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank TAFFY-LEN
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The room we had was in a desperate need of a makeover and this was the worse one we have stayed in. We had a front bedroom with excellent views but there was some traffic noise. Other than the overall appearance, the service, meals etc. was very good.

2  Thank travWales
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Thank you for your review. Yes, I agree that there are some rooms and areas that are in need of some refurbishment but as I have stated on several previous responses we are gradually working our way around these parts but as with all matters of cost and time, being so busy with advanced bookings finding an appropriate window is not always that easy. We are constantly repairing and renewing as is every hotel in the land. I do hope that we will be better by your next visit.
Your ratings unfortunately were not truly reflected on the overall star rating at the top of the page, but none the less I'm sure readers wii see the individual scores at the bottom.
Thanks again. I look forwrd to welcoming you back next time.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Nice comfortable room, very good food, fair entertainment, friendly staff. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2012

Short but very sweet review. Thank you. See you again I hope.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

This hotel is a must.The food is good and the staff can not do enough for everyone.Such a friendly warm hotel.Some room's could do with a spruce up but they seem to be slowly doing all the room's.Peter is amazing never laughed so much as we did last week.Well worth visiting.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

Yes, you are quite right. We are trying to brimg our rooms and public areas up to standard albeit slowly. It is very difficult when we are as busy as we tend to be. We rarely have spare empty rooms which means redecorating has to be carried out when ever there is a spare hour or so when guests are out or on change over days.
i am pleased the staff provided you with every thing you wanted and am particularly happy that you enjoyed my humour. Keep smiling...... see you soon.