“early break”
Review of Hotel Kistor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Torquay
Hotel Kistor
Ranked #76 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Bolton, United Kingdom
“early break”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

enjoyed stay in the Kistor,the staff very friendly,they looked after us,the food was very good.
The rooms cleaned everyday,towels changed,like a lot of the hotels they need up grading,a lick of paint.what can u expect for what u pay if u want 5 star u pay for it.
Te entertainment was great.believe up for sale,lets hope who buys keeps same prices.
We where a bunch of six ladies. who enjoyed ourselves
U get what u pay for.

Room Tip: Iwas on ist floor had no problems,
3 Thank spikey4366
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Thank you ladies for your review. I am delighted that you had a good time and found the time to tell all our friends on Trip Advisor.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

took 5 day holiday to the above hotel,, travel by Solus was fantastic, very pleasant driver, good journey.
Hotel was good, friendly staff and meals were very good, Nightly entertainment was also good.
The only downside being the lift which only holds two persons, and as most clients needed it to get up to 1 and 2 floors, meant a wait at times. The position of hotel is very good for getting buses.

2 Thank pegnhal
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Thank you for your review! I am pleased that you had a good time. You are quite right the lift is small, but it's better than no lift at all, Lol.
See you again soon, best wishes.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We recently stayed in the Kistor Hotel on a trip with friends. There was no TV reception the whole weekend! The rooms were comfortable but the hotel is in need of refurbishment as far as the walls needing decorating or painting. The hotel was nice and warm but the food & drink was quite expensive. The portions at breakfast were small to the norm but the evening meal was plentiful. The staff were quite quiet but nice enough - not a lot of conversation and involvement with the people. We had a good time overall.

Room Tip: Asak for a room overlooking the sea and a big room
2 Thank JanCody
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
May I apologise for taking such a long time to respond to this review, we've been so busy.
Thank you for your observations. I would like to apoilogise for the lack of T.V reception during that particular weekend. There is an intermittent fault with the system and each time an engineer has come, he fails to find the problem. It is possible that we will have replace the whole system and all the TV's too.
As to your remarks regarding our food & drink prices, we are cheaper than many local pubs and hotels for our bar drinks and I really don't think £12.50 excessive for a 3 course meal.
The staff vary, some are very chatty others more reserved. It all depends on whose on shift. It iis lucky may be that I was not on duty as I'm far from quiet. But all in all you say you had a good time, for which I am pleased .
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Arrived on 11th March ( Torquay Travel), We were given Room 70 - no ITV available (apparently this is a common problem), furniture chipped, no continental quilts, only one blanket on the bed but the young lad who brought up the luggage did bring us a couple more, and hairs in the bath, radiator not working but Manager Peter did provide a portable electric heater.

The following morning I noticed that the base of the bed had a very large dirty brown mark near the head board end. I could only assume this was sick or sh**!. I reported this to the Manager and also mentioned that the metal window frames were covered in black mould. He offered us another room.

The second room was of a higher standard but no sound on BBC 2 and still no ITV.
The swimming pool which I was hoping to use was out of action as I suppose were the sauna and spa.
On the last night I asked for a bottle of white wine and the waiter calmly told me there wasn't any apparently the quota had been used up!
On the plus side the hotel was convenient for the beach and the town and the food was perfectly acceptable and efficiently served. The entertainment was of a good standard for this type of holiday.

I am not sure if this hotel has/ or is in the process of being taken over but the heating and TV reception need urgently addressing - I believe some rooms may have had flat screen TV's but ours didn't. Also someone needs to oversee the cleaners as there is definitely room for improvement!
I have been on several coach holiday although these have been with several different companies, Grand Uk, Sheerings, The Coach Co. but have never been so disappointed. I do not expect 5 star for 2 star price but I do expect a clean warn room with basic TV channels and a swimming pool that is available for use if advertised.
Yes you are right I won't be visiting again unless I read that a major refurbishment has taken place!

Room Tip: 21 or 22 nice rooms but no lift and 36 steps up and down, also quite noisy (early morning traffic).
2 Thank HonestHattie
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
I too was disappointed with your review. Yes we had some problems that week, I am sorry that you were affected by an escalation of mishaps. It is unusual as you can see by reading other reviews that generally speaking our guests enjoy their stay with us. We are as you rightly state are in the process of being sold but that doesn't normally affect the smooth running of the hotel. We hope to be in the hands of a new owner soon, which will mean that the refurbishment program will resume.
So, keep checking Trip advisor. As soon as we have a new owner I will post it here.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Just had the last week in February there with a coach tour and enjoyed our stay but the hotel wants a complete re vamp.We had a very tiny bathroom and trying to shave was a work of art,i had more space in a H G V cab.The curtains in the bar had a thick coating of dust on them and needed a realy good clean all around.I believe it's waiting for a buyer and this should resolve the problem. Having said all that the main thing being the bed was clean and the room,all the restaraunt staff were very hard working and friendly,the reception staff were also helpfull,and the manager was also friendly and a bit of a comedien aspecially when doing the bingo.The bar had a decent selection of drinks although i stuck to Tetleys and the barman was friendly and made sure that you got served quick.The hotel is well situated for the beach and is not far from the Town We would like to go back again when and if it's been re vamped

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KeithVi
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this review, 20 April 2013
Thank you for your review.I note your comments regarding the curtains in the bar. The night time staff who are responsible for their cleaning held their hands ups and agreed they had been overlooked for a period and would rectify it.
As regards the bathrooms, yes they quite small but I don't think they are any different from most other 2 star rated hotels. However, we intend at some time in the near future to install walk in shower cubicles to replace baths in some rooms, thus making more room.
There are a number of issues that need addressing throughout the hotel or to use your words 'in need of a re vamp' , we are looking forward to this happening in the not too distant future.
Cardiff
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Just back from a 4 day stay and was impressed with the Kistor, had sea view room, food was excellent and staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble, would be happy to stay here again, entertainment every evening and good location as situated on the flat. People who moan I don't know what they expect for their money as excellent value.

3 Thank Louise J
Merseyside
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Recently spent 4 nights at this hotel what can I say other than this hotel needs money spending on it. The food was excellent,the staff very helpful and the reception staff do there best. But the hotel itself is in need of redecoration in nearly all area's.The bedroom we had was to say the least cheap and cheerful,we had a flat screened tv but was of no use as someone who had stayed in that room decided to take the remote home with them,the hotel didnt have a replacement so we couldnt switch the tv on!!!!.I have never seen a bathroom as small as the one in this room our suitcase was bigger.Money spent on this would make it a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms better than others,just depends where you are given.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joan C
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
We have plans to take out the baths from many of the bathrooms and fit walk in showers thus improving the space therein, some rooms will benefit from wet rooms specially designed with less mobile guests in mind. We hope to commence these improvements soon along with a general spruce up throughout the the hotel.
As regards the T.V. it is very irritating if the remotes are taken away, however it is possible to turn the flat screen TV's on without a remote and change channels, raise or lower volume etc.
Regards.