“disappointed”

Ranked #29 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
kiddy
“disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

Have recently returned from a three day break here and I must say never again.This hotel should be "sold" as a 2star hotel so that you really don`t expect a lot for your money.
Yes I do realise it is being updated but the substandard rooms should be sold as such!

Room Tip: Don`t bother if you expect anything more than basic and yes ,I do realise it is being refurbished bu...
5 Thank 5151
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2011
I am sorry you feel disappointed with your recent visit, we have so may positive reviews, but although we strive to please everybody and try to ensure everyone has a great stay, I guess some people go away not as we would like. I do believe - and so do most of our guests - that we offer great value for money at the Torbay though.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Dorking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

The Torbay hotel seems to have had a facelift since I last stayed here 3 years ago. It looks very nice from the outside now, and the public areas were very pleasant. There are some fantastic deals to be had over a 3 night weekend which includes bed, breakfast and evening meal. The food isn't 4 star, but it's perfectly ok. Some of the rooms have sea views that don't necessarily give more than a glimpse of the sea, as for much of the year the large trees obscure the view. The hotel is very popular with coach tours, and there is entertainment on most evenings. There is also ballroom dancing and bingo.
If you take your own car to Torquay, parking can be a problem. However, the hotel has allocated spaces in the car park behind Debenhams. To park here, ask for the special pass at reception, for which you will pay a deposit of £5. It's quite an uphill climb to the car park when the lift in Debenhams can't be used though, so drop your less mobile passengers at the front of the hotel where there is a loading area.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank speedbirdSurrey
I am pleased you had another great stay with us, we try not to stand still and are always looking to improve on what we offer - it always good to hear that our guests like what we have done. Great advice on getting to the car park, I could not say it better myself
south yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

Had a lovely time here, the staff were very helpful and the meals were great. Entertainment was a little dated but we used the trip as a base to wnjoy Torquay and if thats what you want i can recommend it

Room Tip: See if you can get a last minute deal with an upgrade
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank getawayfromallofem
Thanks for your comments and that you found our hotel, staff , food and facilities were what you needed. It is a great base to explore the area and I hope to see you return soon
Reading, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

Room 301 must be worst Hotel Room ever. Where are the health and safetly officers in Torquay.
Black Mould on wall and ceiling, which is a health hazard. The toilet is not fixed to the floor one side, it's a good thing that it's so close to the bath as it stops anyone falling on the floor, unfortunately you have to very nearly climb over the toilet to get into the shower which is not easy for people in their 70's. When booking the 5 day trip we were promised by the Travel Agent that we would have a proper ensuite but the basin was in the Bedroom (even when travelling with one's Sister you do need some privacy) The promised booking did not materialize, rudeness from reception did.
Food ?? Words cannot explain what I thought of the food, the Waiter was the only upside he was delightful. I think I was stitched up on the price too, £219. 00 for 5 days. NEVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 301
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank joyce m
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2011
I am sorry if you were disapponted with your recent stay. We do try to please all our guests and I will look into your room complaint , which is not a usual complaint. I would think that a 5 day coach break for the price you paid is very reasonable for all that is included?
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

Just returned from my first Shearings break. I found it excellent value for money; the hotel (the Torbay hotel in Torquay) was very nice and in a great location right on the seafront but also close to lots of shops. The newly decorated areas and bedrooms are very tastefully done. The staff were all very friendly and the food was nice with good sized portions. Our waitress, Hanna, was very nice and worked very hard to get us served in time when we had to be on the coach early after breakfast on a couple of mornings. Just one negative, it would be nice if breakfast times were a bit more flexible/longer. I had a room at the rear of the hotel which was one of the quietest hotel rooms I've ever slept in. The entertainment in the hotel was excellent. I will definitely be back again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel are much quieter than those at the front as there's a very busy m...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Carol M
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your first Shearings break with us at the Torbay. It is always nice for the staff to hear that people like yourself have enjoyed so many aspects of the holiday. I will pass on your comments to Hannah too. I am glad you had such good nights sleep too.
Ringwood, Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

Our front-facing room had a view because its out-of-season and trees had lost their leaves.
First time visitors should be given clear written directions with their confirmation letter regarding check-in and luggage. Parking was a 10 minute walk away.
We weren't part of a Shearings Coach Tour as we wanted flexibility to stop along the coast on our way to and from Torquay. Once we had parked the car, we used our bus passes to explore nearby tourist attractions in Paignton, Brixham and Dartmouth. Bus stop was across the road. Hotel location ideal for those who want to enjoy walking along the beachfront, visiting the shops or for those planning bus excursions.
Staff at reception and in the dining room were particularly efficient and helpful.
Considering the room was a basic standard room, I wouldn't have expected anything more except I noticed that tissues, toiletries and biscuits were no longer available as in the past.
The bathroom was really "tacky" needing some major renovation. Window was rusty and full of damp; wall had one large crack and covered wires to bathroom heater exposed and untidy in a corner on the floor. However, room was clean and I can see that it would be costly to upgrade the bathroom, particularly because most standard bathrooms were probably in a similar poor state of repair being at the coast.
Entertainment by resident musician was mediocre and disappointing. The visiting duo on the Friday night and solo artist on Saturday were of a high standard. Fortunately there were a few wine bars that offered musical entertainment within walking distance from the hotel.

Room Tip: Be specific when requesting a room - we were impressed with the phone call to clarify what we had re...
2 Thank Glynnis S
Thank you for posting your review, and I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We do sit in an excellent location which can be invaluable, if like yourself people want to park the car and forget about it for a few days. We do try to refurbish as quickly as possible and I am peased that you were happy with the cleanliness all round and the efficiency of the reception and restaurant staff.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

My husband and I had a really nice stay at the Bay Torbay Hotel. I booked it before I looked it up on Tripadviser and was concerned with some of the reviews. I then looked at the Bay Torbay Hotels own website which was quite impresive. I had no need to fear as everything was lovelly and couldnt fault it. It is in a good position being right on the sea front. It has an indoor heated pool, < although I didnt use it.> Good service, good food, clean room, Nice friendly atmosphere, One of the reviews mentioned the lift, but we were on a Shearings Coach holiday staying on the 3rd floor and the lift was no problem to us at all. I would certainly recomend the Bay Torbay Hotel to my friends.

2 Thank Patricia C
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
Hi Patricia, I am glad you and your husband enjoyed your recent break with us., I know reading through all the varied reviews can be mind boggling, but I am glad that you trusted your own judgement and took note of the many positive postings that we get, and that you came to visit us. Your recommendation is welcome, and maybe you will come back and see us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Bay Tor Park Hotel
BEST WESTERN Livermead Cliff Hotel
Bay Esplanade Hotel
Bay Esplanade Hotel
#9 of 18 in Paignton

Been to Bay Torbay Hotel? Share your experiences!